Idling a Cummins engine

Cummins does not recommend running their engines while not driving for a long period of time because the engine plus the associated transmission does not reach operating temperatures.  Should I mention that while running your diesel in a campground can be irritating to your neighbors.  Why do you not go for a 25 one way drive?  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

I am sorry to say that there are some inconsiderate coach owners.  It takes around 5 minutes to unhook the power cord, the water hose, and the sewer hose leaving them in place to go for a ride.  I always complained to the park office when I encountered that issue in my travels.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Too d*** Lazy?  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

1 hour ago, Chuck B said:

Cummins does not recommend running their engines while not driving for a long period of time . . . .

Why would you want to?  I feel bad when I spend 5 min airing up the suspension, or have to run the generator.  I even bought a quiet gas gen (Predator 3500) for those "quiet moments". 

- bob

Bob please don’t point out the truck drivers most live in their trucks for weeks at a time. I can tell you after driving all day and trying to get some sleep in  100° weather or temperatures in the low 20s or 30s you need some heat or air conditioning so you can get up and do it again the next day so people like us can come out here and live in our motorhomes and get the supplies we need to run another day. God bless each and every truck driver out there and all the things that they give up for us family ,holidays ,birthdays ,funerals , graduations , weddings,  just my two cents took driving is a hard lonely job after 41 years of doing it I can tell you that from experience. God bless. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Donflem said:

Bob please don’t point out the truck drivers most live in their trucks for weeks at a time. I can tell you after driving all day and trying to get some sleep in  100° weather or temperatures in the low 20s or 30s you need some heat or air conditioning so you can get up and do it again the next day so people like us can come out here and live in our motorhomes and get the supplies we need to run another day. God bless each and every truck driver out there and all the things that they give up for us family ,holidays ,birthdays ,funerals , graduations , weddings,  just my two cents took driving is a hard lonely job after 41 years of doing it I can tell you that from experience. God bless. 

Understand what you are saying, but thats only 1/2 the story.  We have had then pull right next to us when the lot is mostly empty an they could park an acre away when it's 65⁰ . Or even whe when theres a truck stop a mile down the street.  I don't give a dam what they are doing or what there job is, there's no excuse for being selfish & rude. 

• Like 1

Funny this topic came up.  Two days ago we sat and watched, and listened, to another start up in the morning.  And he set the idle way up, 1200 to 1500 rpm.  A lot of noise.  He then proceeds to go through his tasks to leave.  15 minutes into it he shuts the engine off.  He still isn't done disconnecting and other stuff.  Then the engine gets started again, and again it runs for maybe another 10 minutes.  I mentioned to the wife that is what folks are complaining about, a rig sitting there idling for 30 minutes for no reason.  Maybe some owners just like to listen the diesel engine???

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty

Guest Ray Davis

I know some people that just can't tolerate noise,  some become really agitated.   I guess I'm different,  I can listen past it,  static, I just wait for it to let up.

My DW is ready to take a hammer to the radio, right now.   We have a truce,  if the radio is on and static starts I hit the mute button before she hits me.

Seriously,  noise is a problem for many people,  just not so much to me.

If a trucker pulls close beside you when it's not necessary I think he's trying to say you don't belong there.   As I've said before they are working while we're playing.

8 hours ago, Donflem said:

Bob please don’t point out the truck drivers most live in their trucks for weeks at a time.

I thought this was about RV'rs idling their engines.  I have no problem with a trucker idling in a rest area, truck stop, whatever.  You're right.  For the full time OTR driver it's a rough road.

- bob

2 hours ago, cbr046 said:

I thought this was about RV'rs idling their engines.  I have no problem with a trucker idling in a rest area, truck stop, whatever.  You're right.  For the full time OTR driver it's a rough road.

- bob

Agree, I too thought it was a public service announcement on how to save our engines. 

Hi, I have a 2003 HR Neptune with a 3 jack system & 2 slides. The manual instructions are to start RV, air bags full up; Jack’s up (front last); RV off, slides in. This is why I need to run RV & then shut down before leaving site.

• Like 2

Filisity

You have the same chassis as we: the dread 4 bagger from Cheetah. Luckily for MCC owners there aren't that many so even Monaco owners don't know you should only move the slides (in or out) when fully aired up. Just us 4 baggers. It shouldn't take too long to air up and then you must shut down engine to move slides due to the lockout ignition. Yes that means starting the engine twice, but we have no "hi idle" so not that obnoxious as the larger Cummins. Don't worry about campers or (other Monacoers' on this group's) ignorance of the old Cheetah frame. Do worry about your trailing arms if they have not been replaced. Go to Source Engineering and research/call them. I highly recommend the "ride enhancement kit" in addition to trailing arms. About 6K will make your MCC ride the way it should have upon leaving the factory. 

Good Luck

Frank Walter '09 Cayman 38SBD

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, flynnwalter said:

Filisity

You have the same chassis as we: the dread 4 bagger from Cheetah. Luckily for MCC owners there aren't that many so even Monaco owners don't know you should only move the slides (in or out) when fully aired up. Just us 4 baggers.  

Nope. Even us 10 baggers do the same!

• Like 3

I had a neighbor who every spring would start his snowblower and run it between our houses until it ran out of gas. A noisy two stroke Toro, that some years seemed to run a very long time. Now that’s rude, but he was a very nice guy. 

We left a park near Ventura CA last winter in the early morning. I started and failed to wait for the coach to air up, as I didn’t want to irritate my neighbors. I scraped the bottom of the front cap while exiting up a slight incline. I won’t do that again. 

34 minutes ago, Pduggs said:

I had a neighbor who every spring would start his snowblower and run it between our houses until it ran out of gas. A noisy two stroke Toro, that some years seemed to run a very long time. Now that’s rude, but he was a very nice guy. 

We left a park near Ventura CA last winter in the early morning. I started and failed to wait for the coach to air up, as I didn’t want to irritate my neighbors. I scraped the bottom of the front cap while exiting up a slight incline. I won’t do that again. 

Wow,  in my coach you aren't going anywhere till it is aired up. My breaks won't release until I  have 80lb's or better.  

• Like 1

Apologies if I  offended anyone with my comments about truck drivers.  My dad was a a truck driver with well over 5 million miles under his belt.  I  was raised with the concept of,

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

If I pulled my rig next to a traveler an run my engine all night for my comfort,  even today at 89yrs old that old man would beat my ass. 

Today I won't run my generator all night unless I'm close to 150ft away from others. 

We are very lucky as it is nothing that I did, it came that way.  On our coach the slides will come in with the engine running, but won't go out.  I think it is exactly how it should be.  We idle long enough to get the coach on the air, pull in the slides and move quickly after that.  Sometimes it takes 5 minutes and sometimes a little longer.

On 10/16/2021 at 8:25 AM, Chuck B said:

Cummins does not recommend running their engines while not driving for a long period of time because the engine plus the associated transmission does not reach operating temperatures.  Should I mention that while running your diesel in a campground can be irritating to your neighbors.  Why do you not go for a 25 one way drive?  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

This seems like a reply to a post. What question started this topic? I’m not following.

Ed

2 hours ago, willbo777 said:

We are very lucky as it is nothing that I did, it came that way.  On our coach the slides will come in with the engine running, but won't go out.  I think it is exactly how it should be.  We idle long enough to get the coach on the air, pull in the slides and move quickly after that.  Sometimes it takes 5 minutes and sometimes a little longer.

I agree, that is the way it should be.

Unfortunately, mine don't move either direction with the ignition on, therefore, a second start.