Roadside Assistance Suggestions

Bill R

As a "Newbie" class A member I have been reading about tire blow outs/flats/breakdowns in areas far from help that require a mobile truck to bring a tire or part to repair the coach.   I want to make sure I have a good well reputable "Roadside Assistance" Program.  So I am asking for suggestions.  My Progressive policy says it had roadside assistance but upon further questioning it is really a car roadside policy.  They will only change out a flat tire if you have a spare, and they will only tow up to 15 miles before you pay yourself the additional mileage.  What a joke.  I have been looking at Good Sam Roadside assistance and it seems pretty good, not sure which package to choose though if I go with them.  Any suggestions for Good Sam or something else.  Thank you for all who can give me suggestions.

You will here a great many rave about Coach.net. They seem to have a great reputation.

Following a few different families on social media, I can see where having 2 different roadside companies in your pocket maybe wise. 

So I AAA RV and State Fame RV roadside. I haven’t looked into Coach.net as I already had These 2 

Go with Coach Net. We are on a trip from hell. Started out and blew the driver steer. Coach Net found me a set of Michelins over 100 mi away. They were brought to us and changed on the high way.  About 6 days later we were headed to Portland and going up a grade and the engine quit. We go towed to Everett, WA. A tow to a Cummins dealer. of over 125 miles. They do all the work and or problems aren't over, but it sure isn't Coach Net's fault. As of right now they are the only thing that went right on this trip. I guess you could say I recommend them highly. You can read about our trip on this forum. Keep smiling.

Blow out2.JPG

• Like 1

The best and most reliable service is Coach Net. I have been using them for over fifteen years and never once did I ever have an issue with their service. They have saved my bacon many times and always send the right equipment to get you going. They will ask a lot of question when you call for help so they can help you.

Do not walk away from Good Sam's-RUN. Good Sam's has the worst reputation, AAA is a Joke and the most problems of getting it right. Most of the insurance Company's that offer or provide Road Service have no clue about the difference between a Motor Home and and Automobile.

With Coach Net, every vehicle you own is covered.

The majority of our Members have Coach Net and very few have ever had any issues with their service. Coach Net offers many good service for the RV-er.

• Like 3

We have had CoachNet for several years with coverage on several RVs during that time. We have used them several times both when we needed a tow and when it could be fixed on the spot but for a variety of reasons. They have done everything for me they were supposed to do and on time. Some others MAY be okay but I do not have that experience. I DO recommend CoachNet.

Good Luck.

Monaco on Tow Truck.jpg

Monaco on Tow Truck 002.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have AAA good for 150 miles. You better have the RV plan or won't do you much good. 

Heard good things about coach net. I watch a lot of you tube. All of them are great till you are in a place that they don't have a good presence.  As with anything you cross your fingers and hope for the best.  Seen good & bad with all of them.  

I've had the Good Sams Roadside Assistance since 2012 when we had the Minnie Winnie.  We recently sold that and got a Beaver Patriot.  I'm thinking I will still keep the GS program but also hook up with CoachNet.  Over the years I've called GS two times for dead battery in the car and both times I was told it would take 2 hours at least for help to arrive.  This wasn't in the boonies, but right in the city.  It was faster to call our neighbor and have them bring the portable jump starter gizmo to us.  I have heard other horror stories about the Good Sam service.  Beware.  I think carrying a couple of options is a good idea, though.

-Dennis

I started with Coach-Net back in 2010 prior to leaving CA and traveling full-time. I am still with them and will not switch to any other ERS. I have had three different tows, one in Oregon, One on the Cassier Highway in northern British Columbia and one on I-81 in Virginia. Each time the tow company had to bring two trucks, one for the coach and one for my 30 foot cargo trailer I was towing at the time. The tow in northern BC would have cost me close to $7000 as it was over 200 miles one way. It only cost me a signature.

They have always dispatched the proper equipment to handle the job safely without causing any damage.

I have put together a list of critical information needed whenever I have had to call them for a tow.

Here is the list below for my coach - 2002 Windsor.

Towing Information for Towing Company

Length of Coach = 41 Feet

Width of Coach = 108 inches

Weight of Coach = 36,000 lbs

Rating of Front Axle = 13,000 lbs

Rating of Rear Axle = 23,000 lbs

Total Weight Coach and Trailer = 48,000 lbs

Height of Coach = 12 Foot

Type of Suspension = Air Bag

How many Air Bags = 8 – 2 on each Wheel - Outboard

Front Cap Slide or No Slide = Front Cap Generator Slide

Transmission Model Number = Allison 3000MH

Distance from Front Cap to Front Axle = 96 inches

Clearance from Ground to Bottom of Coach = Varies

Always ask for a Class 8 Tow Vehicle

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

I started with Coach-Net back in 2010 prior to leaving CA and traveling full-time. I am still with them and will not switch to any other ERS. I have had three different tows, one in Oregon, One on the Cassier Highway in northern British Columbia and one on I-81 in Virginia. Each time the tow company had to bring two trucks, one for the coach and one for my 30 foot cargo trailer I was towing at the time. The tow in northern BC would have cost me close to $7000 as it was over 200 miles one way. It only cost me a signature.

They have always dispatched the proper equipment to handle the job safely without causing any damage.

I have put together a list of critical information needed whenever I have had to call them for a tow.

Great information to have,  need to make my list. 

Thank you

Another vote for Coach.net.  Have been there a few times with our coach in our times of need.   As a side note, another program I knew a little about but am now in the midst of using is the FMCAssist.It is a benefit as a member of FMCA. It is emergency medical evacuation and repatriation coverage available to members worldwide as long as you are more than 75 miles from home.   While camping in Wisconsin my husband had an ATV accident and broke his collar bone, 4 ribs and hip socket.  He is unable to put any weight on his right leg for 12 weeks, or raise his right arm above his shoulder for at least 6 weeks after pin and plate surgery.   He cannot drive for 12 weeks or longer, and cannot even physically get in the coach.  The assist program is helping to fly us home to Georgia, and hire a driver to drive our coach and toad back(I cannot drive coach, and people on the road would not want me too, 🙂.  There have been a few bumps in our dealings, but I would have been totally lost trying to figure all this out,  as well as his hospitalization and surgery so far from home.......................well worth the $50 membership fee........something else to consider as a "newbie". 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, mmartinhouse said:

Another vote for Coach.net.  Have been there a few times with our coach in our times of need.   As a side note, another program I knew a little about but am now in the midst of using is the FMCAssist.It is a benefit as a member of FMCA. It is emergency medical evacuation and repatriation coverage available to members worldwide as long as you are more than 75 miles from home.   While camping in Wisconsin my husband had an ATV accident and broke his collar bone, 4 ribs and hip socket.  He is unable to put any weight on his right leg for 12 weeks, or raise his right arm above his shoulder for at least 6 weeks after pin and plate surgery.   He cannot drive for 12 weeks or longer, and cannot even physically get in the coach.  The assist program is helping to fly us home to Georgia, and hire a driver to drive our coach and toad back(I cannot drive coach, and people on the road would not want me too, 🙂.  There have been a few bumps in our dealings, but I would have been totally lost trying to figure all this out,  as well as his hospitalization and surgery so far from home.......................well worth the $50 membership fee........something else to consider as a "newbie". 

I had Coach Net but changed to FMCA Road Service, thinking that FMCA would have a better plan. Found out after joining that they had a 100 mi limit. Not good in the middle of no where. I will be rejoining Coach Net in the spring when I hit the road again.

Gary 05 AMB DST

I had Good Sam for years. The one time I called them they let me down. I had a flat 40 miles from the nearest tire shop. They said figuring out how to get there was on me.

I don't have Good Sam anymore.

11 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Invaluable information since we have the same coach! Thank you!

I am also going to take the recommendation of getting CoachNet. We had GS and had several occasions that we called and were told that a service would be long time coming for service. All times we were able to figure a way out of our problem. NOT IMPRESSED!

25 minutes ago, eddie4ne said:

We had GS and had several occasions that we called and were told that a service would be long time coming for service. All times we were able to figure a way out of our problem. NOT IMPRESSED!

Well that's exactly how Marcus Lemonis operates. Grab peoples money by offering them huge promises and guarantees, then deliver crap. I won't touch anything affiliated with him.

I did have to purchased a new Aqua-Jet water pump back in October 2019 from Camping World as they were the only store within hundreds of miles in northern New Hampshire that had that model pump. But of course they charged me my left arm and right leg for the pump AND that was AFTER signing up for their Good Sam Discount (yeah right!). It was $350 but we were leaving that day for a 1500 mile trip back to Florida and needed to have water.

12 hours ago, Steve P said:

Coach Net sounds like THE choice... is their best service the 24/7 package?   It seems to be $249 (per year), which in my book, is a deal.  Is that rate pretty steady, or does it change significantly in future years? 

Steve,

Yes, 24/7 Protect Motorized is the Emergency Roadside Service you would need for your coach.

New members are charged $249 for one year. Whenever I renew my membership they offer a one year for $169 or a three year for $489, I always sign up for three years at a time to get a slight discount.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2021 at 9:23 AM, Dr4Film said:

Steve,

Yes, 24/7 Protect Motorized is the Emergency Roadside Service you would need for your coach.

New members are charged $249 for one year. Whenever I renew my membership they offer a one year for $169 or a three year for $489, I always sign up for three years at a time to get a slight discount.

Here's Coach Net's packaged offer, itemized:

Roadside 24/7 Protect Coverage ($239) includes:

- Unlimited Towing

- Unlimited Technical Assistance

- Unlimited Tire Change

- Unlimited Lockout

- Unlimited Fuel Delivery

- All vehicles owned, rented or borrowed

- Discount Programs

- AIR MED Benefit

Hazard Protect Coverage ($370) includes:

- Sign and drive, no deductible

- Up to 2 tire replacements per year (no limit on cost)

- Up to 2 wheel damage repairs per year (up to $600 max)

I am debating with myself about adding Hazard Protection.

Edited by Steve P
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I didn't know about the hazard protection coverage. I could have used it on this trip. Blew driver steer, in the middle of no where. They found use 2 new Michelins and had them hauled and installed from over 100 miles away. Cost $1400 for tires. Seems like a good deal to me. I only had to pay for the tires.

AAA is no longer any good.  Good Sam?, no way.  I have Coach Net and so far have needed them for tire issues, which I found to be worse than nothing at all.  The first thing they want to do is replace the tire, the call center folks don't know a lug nut from their rear end.  I tried for an hour arguing with the call center that the bead had broken and it was an air failure, the valve extension failed, surprise, but no they wanted me to wait on the side of the road for a new tire.  I gave up.  Went with a Les Schwab tire center, another piece of sh*t outfit in the Dalles in Oregon.  They charged me two hours for an idiot to come out and re bead the tire which Coach Net paid for one hour.  Coach Net will pay to get a guy to you, they do not cover any parts or labor to fix your tires, so beware of that.  I hate Coach Net, but I have them due to their towing coverage and I will keep them for that.  On the side of the road another time, exhaust pipe separated at the turbo outlet, after dealing with the call center for 30 minutes that got me nowhere, they said a "tech" had to call me to get me some help.  I fixed it myself enough to get home.  The "tech" called me two hours later. All I needed was the name of a mobile mechanic to come and help me, but no, that was too much for the call center to deal with.  Did I mention I hate Coach Net?  I had to tell one of the call center guys if he raised his voice to me again I would need to talk to his supervisor.

Different roadside company: gen wouldn't start, problem was no 12 vdc to lift pump.  Call center solution: a tow instead of a mobile mechanic.  The call centers seem to be the biggest problem.  No offense but it seems like before working for the roadside companies they had worked on a phone bank boiler room trying to sell solar panels in the Antarctic. 

First clue you're dealing with really stupid people is when the first thing they want to do is tow your 45 foot class A, or, replace your tire instead of fixing it.  Nuff said.  They are all garbage, good luck. If you need a tow, then Coach Net is the best.

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty