Tag Axle Pressures

Started the coach today to relevel after several days of sitting.  (I dont think my auxiliary pump is working-another issue...)

While letting the coach air up, I opened up the engine cover to look at the tag axle pressure and could hear (barely over the engine noise) but could feel air leaking from the tag regulator.  I grabbed the adjusting knob and pulled up to turn the valve a bit to see if it would stop the leak, could not turn and I watched the air pressure drop from 30 PSI to zero.

I lifted the tag a couple times during my maiden voyage last week and it appeared to raise and lower as needed.  

Wondering if these regulators are a common failure?

Also curious what pressure others are running for the tag axle on similar coaches?

Thanks!!

2 minutes ago, Ivylog said:

Set at 40 psi and go weigh with full fuel and water plus most of your stuff. My educated guess you’ll be at 14k, 20k and tag at 10k.

Thanks for the input, I believe the previous owner had it set at 30 psi.  Need to get to the scales.

You guys got me thinking so I checked mine and its at 62psi with the front axle weight at 14.400. I called Barry at Josam he said Monaco likes to see 13.500-14.500 . I have to go back next Monday for new drag link bar and 6 more tires he said we will weight all the axles and see what we have . Its a 2007 Dynasty Squire limited I put 295/80/22.5 all around Toyo 

I have the 650 and without the trailer and Jeep I run about 55 PSI, with the trailer and jeep loaded I run about 90 PSI. I don't go over scales I set mine by steering feel. If steering feels heavy I reduce tag PSI, if I porous I increase PSI. Once I get it right the steering and coach just feels set right. 

I’m impressed as  I have over 125K miles behind the wheel of a S-10 chassis and doubt I could set pressures by the feel. Why pay $10 to weigh… ignorance is bliss.

At 60 psi in my tag’s airbags, it weighs 10,500. I wonder how much over its 12K rating it’s at with 90 psi??? No problem, I can feel it’s OK.

Edited by Ivylog

I didn't realize there was a pressure regulator for the tag axle until I started checking for air leaks. One of my air leaks was the supply line to the regulator. My regulator pressure is 30 psi seems low from what I am reading. Is there a recommended psi setting? Thanks. Richard Silcox 2006 Signature

For a 06 Sig I would increase to 40 without much tongue weight on the hitch… tow bar only. Fortunately you have a 23K drive axle (at 30 you are likely over 20K) and 40 will decrease porpoising. In my opinion, the only way to know for sure is to weigh, as you might have guessed.

Edited by Ivylog

I wonder if anyone has tried to plumb in an extra tire pressure sensor, so you could keep an eye on the pressure at the dash??   Though an tire sensor may not like the pressure variances in the suspension?   I recently bought an 06 Dynasty 42 and am new to a large bus with a tag axle.  Learning a lot!!

3 hours ago, Ivylog said:

I’m impressed as  I have over 125K miles behind the wheel of a S-10 chassis and doubt I could set pressures by the feel. Why pay $10 to weigh… ignorance is bliss.

At 60 psi in my tag’s airbags, it weighs 10,500. I wonder how much over its 12K rating it’s at with 90 psi??? No problem, I can feel it’s OK.

I didn't realize you were as smart as you are....What else would you like to doubt my ability in... Now Mr IVYLOG, maybe before you decided to be the smart ass.....AGAIN you might ask what my trailer weighed, and what the tongue weights were before you decided you knew best. If you can't tell by the wheel feel if you are set right maybe you need a bit more than 125K miles, I have a couple million. But I will do you a favor, next time I load up I will spend the $10 and post my weight ticket just for you, how's that?  Thank you gain for commenting on my posts, it keeps life interesting....lol

• Like 1

Not trying to add fuel but it sure seems that if you need to set your tag at 90psi your tongue weight of your trailer must be something pretty crazy and likely over the hitch specs. Do you know what your trailer tongue weight is?  I’ve never heard of anyone setting their tag at 90 psi or anything close to that. 

Brett, I originally thought about offering to pay the $10 for you to  weigh and seriously I hope you do and I’ll happily pay…I think it’s that important.
In 09 the 650 Sig’s hitch was uprated to 15,000 lbs provided you didn’t lift the tag axle. From my research, nothing was changed on the hitch…it’s that well designed on all the S-10 chassis. I’ve been lifting 1800 lbs on it for 17 years.

1F0CF6D4-073E-46FA-A557-81C6CA0AA613.jpeg

Edited by Ivylog

47 minutes ago, Chargerman said:

Not trying to add fuel but it sure seems that if you need to set your tag at 90psi your tongue weight of your trailer must be something pretty crazy and likely over the hitch specs. Do you know what your trailer tongue weight is?  I’ve never heard of anyone setting their tag at 90 psi or anything close to that. 

Yep I absolutely do as do i know my trailer weight loaded and empty. And yes I have weighed everything and I am absolutely within specs. Why does my tag need so much PSI, beats me. But that is where is needs to be set in order to handle properly and be within specs. Seriously I don't know why it takes that PSI in order to be correct, but it does. I guess it's possible the gauge is not accurate, beyond that I don't really know. I know the manual says 25 PSI, I assure you that aint close even when empty. We do have a rear bath and a large closet with the W/D in the rear as well as the 650 Cummins. We do carry a lot in the closet, beyond that is anyone's guess. 

26 minutes ago, Ivylog said:

Brett, I originally thought about offering to pay the $10 for you to  weigh and seriously I hope you do and I’ll happily pay…I think it’s that important.
In 09 the 650 Sig’s hitch was uprated to 15,000 lbs provided you didn’t lift the tag axle. From my research, nothing was changed on the hitch…it’s that well designed on all the S-10 chassis. I’ve been lifting 1800 lbs on it for 17 years.

All I can tell you is what it takes to make my weights correct and yes I have weighed and I do not need your money. But I will be kind and say thank you for the offer. As I stated above, I don't have a clue why my PSI needs to be what it does but I will gladly take a picture of the PSI guage and a weigh ticket the next time I roll out and I will post and tag you specifically. You will be able to see by the dates and times on the pictures they were taken at nearly the same time. Beyond that please try and refrain from telling me I don't know what I am doing......Thanks

31 minutes ago, Ivylog said:

Is that your tow setup😳

2 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

I carry a 800lb Harley cantilevered off the back of my coach and only add an extra 5psi to the tag axle air bags when it's on.

To the original poster.... I run 40psi in the tag air bags.

Thank you, new regulator on the way, will start with 40 psi.   

8 hours ago, Chargerman said:

Yup. I was asking him. Nice looking rig and setup you have there Brett. Certainly not heavy tongue weight by the looks of it. Still hard to imagine the need for 90psi. but the scales don’t lie

Ok, sorry bout that.

For me, nope not tongue heavy at all. Trailer spring shackles are perfectly level. I probably carry a couple hundred #'s in the box on the trailer, but Jeep is loaded accordingly. Yea I don't know on the PSI unless the rear bath, big closet and the ISX contributes. I know when we first picked this coach up and I read the manual on it and saw the 25 PSI setting recommended by the book I set it there (no trailer) and it wandered all over the road. It was like driving a pickup loaded way too heavy. It took right at 50PSI to get it right on the scales. All I can say is beats me...

PS, I checked last night after all of the typing and I set it at 80 when hauling the Jeep, not 90.....Still high by ya'lls numbers

Edited by Brett63

21 hours ago, RS lakeshore said:

I didn't realize there was a pressure regulator for the tag axle until I started checking for air leaks. One of my air leaks was the supply line to the regulator. My regulator pressure is 30 psi seems low from what I am reading. Is there a recommended psi setting? Thanks. Richard Silcox 2006 Signature

My 05 Dynasty has a 0-30 regulator as well, mine is set around 18 psi, based on scale weight.   I am not sure why we are reading about such high psi settings as well.

I wonder if some of you are talking about tire pressure.  If not, how are you adjusting a 30 PSI regulator to more, or did you replace it???

Please clarify!!!

Granville Barker

Edited by granvillebarker
Typo