Looking for Tire Advice

5 minutes ago, moxy1962 said:

that lower psi translates into softer ride

And you can feel that difference on the rear of the MH? I’m running 315s on the front where I can feel the difference over a 295 at 10+ psi.

OH, never mind.., you win!

Edited by Ivylog

16 minutes ago, Ivylog said:

And you can feel that difference on the rear of the MH? I’m running 315s on the front where I can feel the difference over a 295 at 10+ psi.

OH, never mind.., you win!

Don’t know what you are driving but I know I can feel the difference between 115 and 105 on my front axle which is supported by 4 bags just as the drive axle is, I would expect that harsher ride is amplified with 4 tires being inflated to higher psi over two, but that’s just a guess, that along with the significantly higher bag pressures make me want to do what I can to soften the ride in the rear, for the coaches sake and for any ride improvements I can gain, the OP will I am confident make the right decision for their circumstances and their budget, if they can afford better RV designed tire I’m sure that’s what they will do. They can certainly buy commercial tires that will do the job adequately bearing in mind that commercial tires are designed for longevity not ride quality. 

Richard, re your first post in your topic, my tire sizes are currently the same as the ones on your new coach. I have no problem with it at all. Our coach came from factory with all 11R22.5 H. I followed that with same size Michelin X lines with no troubles until recently I replaced fronts with 295/80 and dropped their pressure from 115 to 105. I think I could tell the difference on some horrible roads. 315 would not fit. Per scales, I now use 105/95/85. I believe 85 was the lowest recommended pressure. Per tire charts, the rotations/mile difference is 2 (501 vs 503), negligible. I may go all 295/80 next tire change, maybe, but have no problems the way it is now. I would not worry about that at all.

20220213_115254.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 2/12/2022 at 3:19 PM, Dr4Film said:

Moxy1962, thanks for posting the tire pressures you are running at. I plan to use 110 in the front steers, 95 on the drive axle tires and 85 on the tag axle tires. They will increase within a day or two as I get into Arizona and New Mexico and then around Louisiana I will check them again as we are closing in on Florida.

You better read the tire placard by the drivers seat. 

I have a slightly lighter coach than a Dyn, and mine calls for 115psi in the 295/80 steers! 

11 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

You better read the tire placard by the drivers seat. 

I have a slightly lighter coach than a Dyn, and mine calls for 115psi in the 295/80 steers! 

Ben,

That placard is only a guide as tire brands and models can be significantly different. Plus, the placard is for a FULLY loaded coach at the GVW rating.

The Dynasty we are picking up has two different size tires, one size on the front (which is the correct size for the coach) and a different size on the rears which are all a fraction smaller but will work if inflated properly.

This coach will NOT be fully loaded as all of our normal stuff that we carry in the coach will be back home in Florida. It is basically empty.

Based on everyone's feedback including yours I feel comfortable with the Cold psi's I have chosen, 110 F - 95 D - 85 T.

15 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Ben,

That placard is only a guide as tire brands and models can be significantly different. Plus, the placard is for a FULLY loaded coach at the GVW rating.

The Dynasty we are picking up has two different size tires, one size on the front (which is the correct size for the coach) and a different size on the rears which are all a fraction smaller but will work if inflated properly.

This coach will NOT be fully loaded as all of our normal stuff that we carry in the coach will be back home in Florida. It is basically empty.

Based on everyone's feedback including yours I feel comfortable with the Cold psi's I have chosen, 110 F - 95 D - 85 T.

115 psi on a Goodyear 295 80 22.5 16ply would support over 14500, inflation should be based on actual weight, placards show max weight inflation pressures, if you don’t need 115 psi don’t inflate that high, it will cause an unnecessarily  harsh ride 

3 hours ago, moxy1962 said:

115 psi on a Goodyear 295 80 22.5 16ply would support over 14500, inflation should be based on actual weight, placards show max weight inflation pressures, if you don’t need 115 psi don’t inflate that high, it will cause an unnecessarily  harsh ride 

Yeah, the last time I was able to run across a scale shortly after filling the diesel tank, and had about 80gal of fresh water, I was about 14,400 lbs on the steer axle.

The Dynastys may be layed out better for weight distribution. I have my diesel tank, and fresh water tank, in the first bay behind the steer axle.

Edited by 96 EVO

• 2 weeks later...

I have decided not to purchase the Coach-Net Tire & Wheel Hazard Protection package for the cost of $1224 for 5 years.

Instead, I plan to use that money to purchase two new steer Toyo Tires M144 size 295/80R/22.5 plus a pair of Balance masters from Josam's in Orlando once I return back home to Florida.

Sometime later in the year prior to heading north for the summer I will have Josam's install four new drive Toyo Tires M144 295/80R/22.5 with Balance Masters. The Tag tires are the newest on the coach DOT 2018 so I will keep those for now but plan to replace them next year. Most likely I will move the steers to the tag and put the newest tires on the steer.

32 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

I have decided not to purchase the Coach-Net Tire & Wheel Hazard Protection package for the cost of $1224 for 5 years.

Instead, I plan to use that money to purchase two new steer Toyo Tires M144 size 295/80R/22.5 plus a pair of Balance masters from Josam's in Orlando once I return back home to Florida.

Sometime later in the year prior to heading north for the summer I will have Josam's install four new drive Toyo Tires M144 295/80R/22.5 with Balance Masters. The Tag tires are the newest on the coach DOT 2018 so I will keep those for now but plan to replace them next year. Most likely I will move the steers to the tag and put the newest tires on the steer.

Good plan 

Not all Goodyears are badyears…yes I’d stay away from the G670s. I ran GY Marathon 295s (made in Germany) on my Dynasty for 10 years before putting them on the back of my dump truck for another 7… still no cracks. That’s when I replaced with 11Rs on the back and 315s on the front.

From what I've seen the "cold" tire pressure is referenced to 70F. Tire pressure on the coach tires will change by about 2psi per 10F. When inflating to cold tire pressure you should consider adjusting that pressure based on ambient temperature.

I've never seen any reference to adjusting tire pressure based on elevation, and ambient pressure changes only 3psi from 1000-6000 feet elevation. 

I always use the local temp as the ambient temp to set my Cold psi pressures to.

Such as we are starting this trip in the morning with outside ambient temps around 40F

I have set the front tires at 110 psi, the dual drive tires at 95 psi and the tag tires at 85 psi.

We are driving south into warmer weather, but I won't do any adjustments until possibly sometime later in my trip back to Florida.

I don't mind the tires increasing pressure somewhat when moving into warmer weather as that provides a good safety factor. However, when moving from hot weather into really cold weather I always adjust the cold psi back up to where it belongs.

1 minute ago, Dr4Film said:

I always use the local temp as the ambient temp to set my Cold psi pressures to.

Such as we are starting this trip in the morning with outside ambient temps around 40F

I have set the front tires at 110 psi, the dual drive tires at 95 psi and the tag tires at 85 psi.

We are driving south into warmer weather, but I won't do any adjustments until possibly sometime later in my trip back to Florida.

I don't mind the tires increasing pressure somewhat when moving into warmer weather as that provides a good safety factor. However, when moving from hot weather into really cold weather I always adjust the cold psi back up to where it belongs.

Did same thing in December, only adjusted steer tires down. -15c when I left by the time I got to warm weather steers we’re almost 130 warm I let 5 lbs out next morning 

I am running Toyo M144 295/80R/22.5 on my 2012 Diplomat 43DFT.  Fronts are set at 105 and drive and tag are at 85.  I am also using the TST TPMS.

I drove back from the Tampa Gathering last week.  The ambient temp was around 60-70 for most of the first day drive.  Pressures rose to 125 and 100.  I was surprised that the pressures went up that much.  The second days was raining and in the 40’s.  Temperatures did not increase as much, but still rose between 10 and 15 PSI.

12 minutes ago, dandick66 said:

I am running Toyo M144 295/80R/22.5 on my 2012 Diplomat 43DFT.  Fronts are set at 105 and drive and tag are at 85.  I am also using the TST TPMS.

I drove back from the Tampa Gathering last week.  The ambient temp was around 60-70 for most of the first day drive.  Pressures rose to 125 and 100.  I was surprised that the pressures went up that much.  The second days was raining and in the 40’s.  Temperatures did not increase as much, but still rose between 10 and 15 PSI.

Seems about right, I run my drive at 95, you my be slightly low on drive, adding 5 lbs, your cold temps could be low depending on what scale says

3 hours ago, moxy1962 said:

Seems about right, I run my drive at 95, you my be slightly low on drive, adding 5 lbs, your cold temps could be low depending on what scale says

Do you have a tag axle?

85psi is what the manufacturer calls for in the drive axle tires on our tag axle coach.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

As stated earlier, I am now sitting at Josam's in Orlando having two new Toyo Steer Tires installed (295/80R/22.5) with a new set of Balance Masters plus the set of Tyron bands I purchased from Craig French at the Monacoers Gathering this past February.

Next winter, 2022/23, I will have the four drive tires replaced with four new Toyo Tires 295/80R/22.5. That's what it should have had on it, but it now has a set of 11R-22.5 tires on the drive plus the tag. The following winter, 2023/24, I will move the fairly new steer tires to the Tag axle and put the newest tires on the steer. That way I will not have to install a complete set of 8 tires all at once.

I am also having the TRW steering box checked to make sure it is adjusted as best as possible.

Lastly, they are doing a complete check of my HWH Air Leveling System as I have never heard the compressor turn on when pushing any of the raise buttons. I do have a spare compressor to install if the one there now is TU. They will be checking all of the 6-pack valves to make sure they are all working correctly and do not leak.

I am slowing getting everything back to the condition I think it should have been in with everything fully operational.

It has been a learning experience but when finished I will have the coach exactly how I want it to be.

Richard, when it was time to replace the front tires on my 04 Dynasty, I put 315s on instead of 295s reducing the psi by 10. Without 295s on the front, I went with 11Rs on the rear by adding 8 psi to the fairly low pressures need on the rear and they are the same diameter as a 295.   Have you’ve put enough stuff in your “new” Dynasty to go weigh it? My educated guess is with 40 psi in the tag’s airbags you will have 14K on the front, a little less than 20K on the drive axle, and 6K on the tag requiring 115 front, 90 in the 11Rs and 80 (minimum psi) in the tag regardless of size. .. I go 5 over the charts because of driving in strong crosswinds except in the tag on the Dynasty.

I put 6 11Rs on the back of my much heavier 45’ Navigator and  run 105 in the 11Rs and 105 in the 315s on the front. Again this is +5 psi over what the charts calls for.

Monday I helped a 04 Executive that wouldn’t start get back on the road and noticed it had 8 11Rs on it. Helped him put 125 psi in the front 2 instead of the 110 all 8 tires had. Reduced the tags down to 85. Recommend he replace the front 2 with 315s ASAP.

Edited by Ivylog