Exterior Sealing

Go to solution Solved by Dr4Film,

Hi folks. 

It appears my motor home is due to have a thorough reseal job on all the exterior trim pieces and what not.  My Coach is more of a silver color, as is the existing caulking that needs to be redone.  I’ve looked at the Dicor product, but it isn’t available in silver.  Anyone have any suggestions on a good product to reseal the coach in a silver, or aluminum looking Color?

Many thanks. 
29B71C34-FF32-42BC-AC36-7137F320E297.thumb.jpeg.1a5d42011e5c29fd5d3af570adbb5980.jpeg

What Ivan said. Clear for the outside walls. There are areas for white and black depending on your coach.

Stone Vos has a caulking seminar. You might call them for the link as I cant find it.

First of all I am not a large fan of silicone! That being said, check out Sikaflex LM series polyurethane (low modulus) I purchased at construction supply company in New Hope, MN. Not one of the box stores. If your able to get someone who cares at the Depot they may order it for you. It cleans up with mineral-spirits before cured. I prefer an old "T" shirt stretched over individual finger, doing only about two ft. at a time, don't over apply. Trim nozzle to size bead that you want. Tool bead with finger, keep finger wet with min spirits' Use a good grade of mechanics rubber gloves! After you have removed old silicone with plastic or nylon tools to use as scrapers (no metal) remove as much as you can as it is relative to how the new caulk bonds. Prior to applying new caulk wipe the application area with denatured-alcohol on a soft cloth, rub rather hard so as to get into seam area, dries fast. I have not found that neither of these thinners  harm the paint on the coach! I have masked and air brushed if color is not available. Bond is excellent and semi flexible.

Hope some of this helps you out.

• Thanks 1

I’ve done quite a bit of reading this weekend, I think I’m gonna try the SikaFlex-715 self leveling roof sealer for roof repairs, and the SikaFlex-221 sealant for the wall sections.  They have it in aluminum grey, which should work quite nicely with my coach paint.  
I too have read that latex based sealants are not the best options.  Will update on my results in the spring when I get to it, along with the guardian plates I ordered from TalinRV. 

Thanks everyone for your input, suggestions and tips. 

Brad, just my thoughts on this. The 221 appears to be a polyurethane sealant. If a new leak appears, it may be difficult to clean the joint to apply a new layer of sealant. Polyurethane was first used to glue in the windshields of cars in the mid 70's for roll-over protection. Chris Throgmartin's problem with silicon was that you could not remove any residue of the silicon that would prevent another sealant to adhere. Silicone will be there forever.

Gary 05 AMB DST

54 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

I use the Sikaflex-715 white for around all of the fixtures on the roof.

Do they have a clear for walls? Haven’t found any yet!

50 minutes ago, Gary 05 AMB DST said:

Richard, do you use Sikaflex for outside body, belt line or other caulking?

Gary 05 AMB DST

No, haven't had the need for any with my Windsor. All of the beltlines and other places around the outside have not needed any caulking as yet.

10 minutes ago, Gary M said:

Do they have a clear for walls? Haven’t found any yet!

Don't know. I would have to research the Sikaflex line of products to see what they offer. The Sikaflex-715 was introduced to me by a RV tech in Anchorage AK. That is the only product he will use for sealing around fixtures on the roof.

• Like 1