SHARP-R-1850 Microwave

CLIFF918

Has anyone changed the exhaust fan direction in the rear of oven?

What i want to do is have the exhaust go outside the coach where it belongs, hate that blast of air in your face.

I have ordered the outside vent and cover and am perfectly capable of cutting the hole and the whole mounting thing.

What I don't know is if I will run into any wiring cables etc in the outside wall behind the Microwave ??

Cliff

Cut through one layer with a pilot hole, open it up and inspect.  Move whatever is in it's way out of the way and continue cutting.  Ideally cutting from the inside first just in case there is something immovable in the way.  Ensure you are between studs when making your cuts.

Edited by DavidL
  • Like 1

I had Elite Repair & Renovation in Harrisburg Oregon do mine in the Windsor. I showed them photos I had taken of the superstructure when it was cool and damp outside. They didn't have any problems whatsoever.

I now have to do another outside exhaust for the Dynasty.

• 1 year later...
6 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Joe, this has been discussed previously. I quick search would have found you some answers.

This is what I had installed in my previous Windsor. I have vented the microwave in our Dynasty as yet. Low on the priority list.

Comes in black or white. Paint-able too.

https://rvandmarine.com/product/rv-microwave-oven-vent/

Perfect! Thank you, Richard.

Many years ago, a VERY SHARP buddy decided he wanted to "VENT" his microwave. There was an "Allegro Bus" next to him during a long stay in Florida and he got to know the owner.  He searched Amazon and got a "VENT KIT".  When it came in...he did NOT like the design or maybe the materials and such.  He got the VIN off the Allegro and called Tiffin. He ordered the part(s) ....I think it was a STANDARD kit or maybe just an exhaust vent that they used on every model.  He did a little duct and duct tape work and got the vent air tight...what you would have to do for ANY external vent...but the outside cover was more acceptable (Durable? Design?...whatever to him). 

Then he  installed it and was happy.  He used the paint codes or maybe the "plug" he cut out and went to a local Auto Paint Distributor.  They would color match the paint and then package it in an aerosol or spray can.  He then sprayed the cover.  You could NOT tell that it was NOT OEM Monaco...  Many folks asked how he got Monaco to "install an external vent"....

Just passing that along....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The cutout for the 02 Windsor I had done did not have anything that interfered with the exhaust opening.

I took photos on a chilly morning where the condensation showed exactly where the metal supports were located.

Have you done that?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

The cutout for the 02 Windsor I had done did not have anything that interfered with the exhaust opening.

I took photos on a chilly morning where the condensation showed exactly where the metal supports were located.

Have you done that?

yes.  I also have taking pictures showing the framing.   I triple measure from the inside.    I have a stud running right down the middle of where the vent would go.  I then dropped the oven down and drilled a pilot hole from inside the cabinet.    Hit the metal stud.

I was expecting just luan covering the metal stud, but I had to drill  through 3/4" plywood that has the wallpaper attached.  Really quite stout.   I assume this plywood continues across the whole wall and the  upper cabinets attach to it.  

Edited by windsorbill06

One of the first things I did in my 2002 Diplomat was vent the Microwave outside!

I ran into the vertical metal stud right in the center of the hole I need to create. I started with a 3" hole saw so I could see what I was getting into and discovered the vertical stud, you can see it in the center of the hole picture. I saw that there were more studs to the left and right of the area I need to cut out so I went ahead and removed the obstruction and installed the vent duct and replaced the microwave back in it's place. That was in 2002 and have had no problems and no smelly coach.

Cliff

IMG_1249[1].JPG

IMG_1246[1].JPG

IMG_1244[1].JPG

15 hours ago, windsorbill06 said:

You guys that did this project, and ran into a wall stud in middle of the vent, what is the consensus?   Cut it out and don't worry about it?  Or abandon the project and leave things alone?

Had the same issue with my Diplomat, left the stud and cut around it. Worked OK.

4 hours ago, CLIFF918 said:

One of the first things I did in my 2002 Diplomat was vent the Microwave outside!

I ran into the vertical metal stud right in the center of the hole I need to create. I started with a 3" hole saw so I could see what I was getting into and discovered the vertical stud, you can see it in the center of the hole picture. I saw that there were more studs to the left and right of the area I need to cut out so I went ahead and removed the obstruction and installed the vent duct and replaced the microwave back in it's place. That was in 2002 and have had no problems and no smelly coach.

Cliff

IMG_1249[1].JPG

IMG_1246[1].JPG

IMG_1244[1].JPG

I wish my stud was in the center of the 2 holes.  But mine will be blocking about 1/2 of the right side.(total of 25% total blockage).   Definitely not idea. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, windsorbill06 said:

I wish my stud was in the center of the 2 holes.  But mine will be blocking about 1/2 of the right side.(total of 25% total blockage).   Definitely not idea. 

I cut it out with the saws all. Did not have an effect on stability of side wall.

11 minutes ago, CLIFF918 said:

I cut it out with the saws all. Did not have an effect on stability of side wall.

11 minutes ago, CLIFF918 said:

I had mis-read your post.  I thought you left the stud in place.   I'm leaning towards cutting the stud  out as well.  The 3/4" plywood sheer wall makes the wall very stout.  I'll likely add a couple of self tapping screws through the plywood into the stud, just above and below where I cut it out.

My microwave looks like it has loosened up or dropped some. I can lift it up and wiggle it. There is about a one inch gap between the top of the microwave and the bottom of the cabinet. How do I remove it to see if I can tighten it up.?

• Like 1

Rick,

If the 05 is the same as the 02 the microwave is attached to the rear mount with 2 long screws accessed from behind the filters on the underside of the microwave.

The picture shows the rear mount with the mounting points that the screws attach to at the extreme left and right in the picture. 

if you have space on the top it might be that the 2 mounting screws have loosened 

IMG_1249[1].JPG

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, 4rickyg said:

My microwave looks like it has loosened up or dropped some. I can lift it up and wiggle it. There is about a one inch gap between the top of the microwave and the bottom of the cabinet. How do I remove it to see if I can tighten it up.?

The Sharp was mounted in two different methods.  One is just a reinforcement of the other.

There is a “mounting plate” attached to the back wall. There is a “hook” or call it a “ledge” at the bottom.  The Microwave has to be lifted up at the back and then the rear “hooked” in place and then it pivots UP.  

NOW, here’s where it get “sticky”.  Most conventional Microwave don’t have, or the various ones I have installed, the screws behind the filter.  So you have to look and just exolore.

There are USUALLY long screws that come down through holes in the upper side or floor of the cabinet above. They usually have large “fender” washers to spread the weight over the wood.  I CANNOT RECALL, but I THINK that Monaco put an internal wooden bottom in the cabinet and the screws are under it.  If there are screws holding in that shelf or bottom, pull them.

NEXT UP.  On SOME Monaco’s, there were two additional reinforcement screws.  They were screwed in from the sides and you have to do a little digging to get to them or find them.  If yours had “drooped”, then odds are….your model never had them.

We have had MANY members pull everything…..no Joy…

I did a search  SHARP MICROWAVE in the upper SEARCH BOX.  Clicked on EVERYWHERE and selected TOPICS…read these….they probably also address removal…

https://www.monacoers.org/search/?q=Sharp microwave &quick=1&type=forums_topic

Good luck…