Tire Problem

Tom Whitlow

I know the information won't be available anywhere, but would be interesting to know the DOT date code of the tires.  Only one item to consider, obviously inflation pressure, load, load rating, etc can be a contributor, but running tires past their useful life seems to be a common issue.

• Like 1

When you have a steer tire blow you must instantly floor it to help control the steering and then ease off the pedal and slowing start braking on the road. The only way to keep control and not leave the road. I would guess the passenger was up doing something in the coach.  

4 hours ago, Rodger said:

I know the information won't be available anywhere, but would be interesting to know the DOT date code of the tires.  Only one item to consider, obviously inflation pressure, load, load rating, etc can be a contributor, but running tires past their useful life seems to be a common issue.

And brand of tire!

Probably the only way to find out is figure out where it was towed to and look at the tires. 

- bob

Unfortunately this accident happened to a customer of ours. They were on their way to our facility for some service work.

He is a member here and has been a friend of mine for several years. He contacted us immediately after the accident. I am not going to get into specifics but he is a very conscientious owner who looks after his coach and pays attention to details. I did get an updated message from him yesterday and his wife did survive and will recover. He also is OK.

The coach is obviously destroyed. There is a lot of back story to this coach that I wont get into but I was called as an expert witness to testify on his behalf after a dealer completely screwed the coach up. Due to my testimony the dealers insurance company settled. He was on his way to our facility to get some final work done. I find it a shame that now the coach is totaled. This was their home as they were full timers.

On a positive note I am thankful both of them survived. It is a testament to how well our Monaco coaches are built. In regards to anything else related to this accident I am not going to comment. I know the owner very well and I can tell you he would never risk himself or his wife with old tires, fast driving or anything that would contribute to an accident. Even new tires blow and I witnessed an HR Imperial have a double blow out on new tires that had less then 500 miles on them. The only thing I will say is if you don't have Tyron bands on your coach...........Get Them.

Please keep this couple / fellow member and his wife in your thoughts and prayers.

• Like 6

We spend time every year traveling up and down I-75 and it never ceases to amaze me how many Class A's and toy haulers that we see in the fast lane doing 70+ mph trying to get somewhere in a hurry.  Just yesterday our son paced a Class A headed north at 75 mph in the rain.  We are usually found in the slow lane at 60-62 mph and try to plan our day so that speeds in excess of that aren't required. We are retired and our philosophy is to leave a little earlier and don't be in a hurry.

I would have a few questions about the accident:  How fast?  Age of tires?  Was a tire monitor system being used?

I-75 MH .jpg

1 hour ago, michaelivan said:

I would have a few questions about the accident:  How fast?  Age of tires?  Was a tire monitor system being used?

All that is probably hush-hush from throgmartin and the monacoer owner as he they be consulted during the (you know it's coming) litigation process.  It could be years before they can talk. 

But it does give credibility toward installing Tyron Bands.  If you don't know what they are . . . https://www.tyron-usa.com/  Of course, it won't happen to ME . . . right?

- bob

2 hours ago, cbr046 said:

All that is probably hush-hush from throgmartin and the monacoer owner as he they be consulted during the (you know it's coming) litigation process.  It could be years before they can talk. 

But it does give credibility toward installing Tyron Bands.  If you don't know what they are . . . https://www.tyron-usa.com/  Of course, it won't happen to ME . . . right?

- bob

Bob:

You are correct. Dave Pratt and I are called upon from time to time to intervene for a member with an outside company. Both of us have been called to testify as expert witnesses. Sometimes settlements include a gag order which I religiously obey. Other times owners or members ask Dave or I to keep information confidential. 

In this case I am not discussing the accident because I do not have permission from the owner to post any details. I am a stickler about confidentiality and when someone tells me something it is never repeated. In this case I am giving him a couple days to gather their thoughts, find a place to stay and then will reach out to them. In the meantime my focus is not on what happened but how I can help them with their loss, living arrangements, etc.

Since the owner is a member here I figured that if he wants to discuss the accident later he can. In the meantime I have no information and even if I did I do not have permission to discuss anything other then they are fine and the coach was totaled. Hopefully everyone can understand my position. My contact with him has all been health/medical related. The accident has not been brought up.

• Like 3

I am thankful to hear that both are OK and the wife is on the mend. I am also very sorry that they have to deal with this tragedy and the terrible situation of losing your home and almost your lives. Material things are replaceable but lives are not.

I will be praying for his wife's full recovery and also for their discernment while moving forward through the process of recovery.

Many prayers and Blessing headed their way.

• Like 1

It’s great to hear that they are both going to be ok and it also sad to see folks are quick to pass judgement such as:

Going too fast

Running old tires

Improper inflation pressure

Overloaded

No TPMS

Didn’t  handle the Coach properly when the tire failed

On top of that the DW must have been up and about.  Really?  Did you see the co-pilots area after it hit that tree?

Give the guy a break and try to support him instead of knocking them down.  Think about how you would feel if the same happened to you and you came to the forum and read these things  

• Like 6

On 3/24/2022 at 11:53 AM, Rodger said:

Would like to see the data to support your theory 

23 hours ago, throgmartin said:

Unfortunately this accident happened to a customer of ours. They were on their way to our facility for some service work.

He is a member here and has been a friend of mine for several years. He contacted us immediately after the accident. I am not going to get into specifics but he is a very conscientious owner who looks after his coach and pays attention to details. I did get an updated message from him yesterday and his wife did survive and will recover. He also is OK.

The coach is obviously destroyed. There is a lot of back story to this coach that I wont get into but I was called as an expert witness to testify on his behalf after a dealer completely screwed the coach up. Due to my testimony the dealers insurance company settled. He was on his way to our facility to get some final work done. I find it a shame that now the coach is totaled. This was their home as they were full timers.

On a positive note I am thankful both of them survived. It is a testament to how well our Monaco coaches are built. In regards to anything else related to this accident I am not going to comment. I know the owner very well and I can tell you he would never risk himself or his wife with old tires, fast driving or anything that would contribute to an accident. Even new tires blow and I witnessed an HR Imperial have a double blow out on new tires that had less then 500 miles on them. The only thing I will say is if you don't have Tyron bands on your coach...........Get Them.

Please keep this couple / fellow member and his wife in your thoughts and prayers.

Great information and should sooth the aged out, off shore, cheap owner  theorists who are so quick to blame old or foreign tires as the culprit, 

• Like 1

Before blaming the owner, understand that new tires can blowout too.
I once had a new set of Goodyears on my Explorer.  I had driven to Ohio, and with less than 1,000 miles on the weeks old tires, the RR blew out the entire sidewall in a sleet storm.
It obviously wasn't heat, underinlfation, overloading, or debris.  After some discussion about my not buying road hazard coverage, the local Walmart decided to replace the tire under warranty.

My prayers are with those involved. 🙏