Rear Camera/Cable - Sony Replacement? Or Newer Technology?

Our Dynasty has the 4-camera system, with a rear Sony camera and 6 pin Sony s-video cord.  The rear camera was not working, so I obtained a replacement 60 ft cord and ran it through the middle of the coach and plugged into the rear camera pigtail and CVS100 video switch behind the dash and received a picture from the camera. 

I pulled the original cable out from under the dash and found it had been severely folded together several times and tightly zip tied to a large wire loom.  This occurred in the last 2-3 feet of cable.  I was thinking that this may have damaged the cable so I might be able to cut off the damaged s-video cable and splice in a new pigtail male end.  I tested/pinned out this original cable using a 9V battery on the camera end and observed continuity through all pin outs and the external ground of the plug on the monitor end. 

This has me perplexed........ Plugged original cable back in and still no picture.   Plugged in new cable and have picture.  Not sure how I can get continuity on all the pins and ground on the original cable and the original cable wont work.  Anyone been here before?

At this point I think the only option is to run a new cable to the rear, which wont be any fun.   As I have the intellitec system with 4 cameras, should I stay with the Sony format or is there better technology I should look at? 

Is there a good HD camera and display solution?   

Anyone run a new cable to the back of their coach??    I currently have all the ceiling panels off all the basement compartments, so part of the work is done.   The fun part will be getting across the front and rear drive train areas. 

I'm planning on replacing the old monitor in the dash and would like to get the best resolution/picture quality for the rear camera.   I really don't care about the side or inside cameras, as there are not very useful in my opinion.   Mirrors are my best friend......

We do have the monitor system in our bedroom, that would be the real benefit of keeping all the cameras on the same system.

This group is great, and as always, I greatly appreciate everyone's input!

Bob

You may have continuity but did you check for shorts between wires? 

I'd also like to upgrade my camera and thought about going wireless.  I read where some cameras have a lag issue so not very good for backing up.  Not very high on the wish list . . .

- bob

Isn't there a "tunnel" between the frame rails that has wires and pipes from the engine compartment to the front of the coach? You should be able fish a wire through it. If you do that, send an extra wire or rope so you can use it as a pull wire in the tunnel if another wire would ever be needed.

Gary 05 AMB DST 

On 97 Dynasty, there is a pathway between the frame rails. At the rear bulkhead, where all wiring cables and fuel lines exit, there is plate attached. The plate has an exit area filled with foam. I used a metal snake to punch through the foam from the rear side and attached a pull line to pull through needed wires to add an EGT. When I upgraded the rear camera and monitor, used existing wiring and made up adapters from old connectors to new type required.

Bulkhead.JPG

On my 05 Safari Gazelle I chose to go the wireless route.  I removed the rear center marker light added the camera, powered the rear camera from the marker.  I added a front facing camera mounted on the dash.  It took some time to realize that the antennas on the monitor needed to be angled slightly towards the center of the coach to receive the signal from rear camera.

Since I can not feel my 2009 Silverado when towing, it gives me peace of mind just to be able to look at the monitor and  see toad.  

Camera system I chose also records to SD card, not sure if I will ever need the stored data, but you never know!

Thanks all, I have not checked for shorts, will do that.

Yes, I have the tunnel between the frame rails, will be easy to run a new wire down the tunnel, getting over the front axle and the rear drive train will be the fun part. 

Need to determine if I want to stay with Sony technology or move on newer technology. 

• 10 months later...

I am about to run a new cable from the rear camera to the front of a 2008 dynasty. I understand the tunnel between the frame rails, but how do I get the cable up into the rear cap? The is a blockoff between the engine bay and the upper part of the rear cap. is it possible to bring it down beside the air intake?

• 1 year later...

I don't know if any of you have run a new camera cable front to rear but pictures would sure help. 

My coach now has a wireless camera (Furrion) and I'm not happy with image quality contrast, brightness etc.  When I replace it I'd like to go with a wired one... if the old cable is not there, or bad, I may need to run a new one too.

22 minutes ago, rpasetto said:

I don't know if any of you have run a new camera cable front to rear but pictures would sure help. 

My coach now has a wireless camera (Furrion) and I'm not happy with image quality contrast, brightness etc.  When I replace it I'd like to go with a wired one... if the old cable is not there, or bad, I may need to run a new one too.

Finding the right connectors to use that existing cable is the trick.  Many come close but Sony went with a proprietary connector made out of unobtanium. 

I went with a Chinese wireless camera then spliced into the audio wire pair to run +12V to the camera, and mounted it above the existing built in camera.  I had to hack into the Sony monitor to isolate the audio pair.  Now I can see the hitch (OEM) *AND* the end of the trailer (Chinese), and it's good enough to view clearance while pulling back into lane.  Not the best camera (Yakry in this case) but gets the job done. 

I bought the forward mounted camera so I could record traffic in front.  Between the split screen and horrible user interface the forward camera was a waste of money. 

You might consider making a shroud for brightness . . . .

- bob

I ran a new Sony cable through the AC duct to the rear camera.  Not ideal, however only took about 30 minutes.   See previous post. 

You can purchase pigtails to interface with updated cameras and monitors.   This maintained the functionality of the 4 cameras in our Dynasty. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LakeBob said:

I ran a new Sony cable through the AC duct to the rear camera.  Not ideal, however only took about 30 minutes.   See previous post. 

You can purchase pigtails to interface with updated cameras and monitors.   This maintained the functionality of the 4 cameras in our Dynasty. 

Going through the AC duct gets most of the way.  What I'm puzzled by is how to get from the rear cap area to the rear AC duct. Also, how to get from the front of the AC duct to the underdash/camera area.  

On 5/5/2022 at 3:18 PM, Trinidaddave said:

On my 05 Safari Gazelle I chose to go the wireless route.  I removed the rear center marker light added the camera, powered the rear camera from the marker.  I added a front facing camera mounted on the dash.  It took some time to realize that the antennas on the monitor needed to be angled slightly towards the center of the coach to receive the signal from rear camera.

Since I can not feel my 2009 Silverado when towing, it gives me peace of mind just to be able to look at the monitor and  see toad.  

Camera system I chose also records to SD card, not sure if I will ever need the stored data, but you never know!

Same. Went wireless, never looked back (well, do look back to make sure the toad is still there 😉). Display is far superior/brighter and I can angle it to where I want it, not where HR stuck it in the dash. Bought from Amazon, less than $200 IIRC, 30 minute install/setup and went on about my day. 10/10.

2 hours ago, rpasetto said:

Going through the AC duct gets most of the way.  What I'm puzzled by is how to get from the rear cap area to the rear AC duct. Also, how to get from the front of the AC duct to the underdash/camera area.  

4 minutes ago, rpasetto said:

Not sure about the rear but up front I have a hose continuing from the air duct into overhead cabinets to cool entertainment electronics. That would be my access if I had to do it, then under a-pillar cover to dash. Hopefully you'll find the old cable intact to avoid that.

In my case, the muliplex switch for the cameras is located middle left of the dash.   I was able to easily access the switch, where the camera cable originates, from the dash cutout in front of the steering wheel.   I ran the cable below the dash and up between the windshield and corner of the dash and then up inside the driver side plastic A pillar cover, up around blinds etc.   I've ran a lot of wires in cars, boats, and houses, etc over the years and sometimes you need to get creative, study what paths you have, and figure out the best route.  

I removed the vent cover from the driver side most forward ac vent.  I had determined that it was a straight shot front the end of the duct, above the front chassis frame and below the roof that would allow access to the front cap area.   I was able to easily drill a 1/2" hole in the AC duct through some insulation board into the front cap area.  I don't remember exactly; however I think a 6-inch spade bit did the trick.  I was able to easily pull the cable into the duct area from this hole. 

At the rear of our coach there is a center mounted access cover located on the back wall of the top shelf in our rear closet.  This allows access to rear of the camera and the connection for the cable.  I simply ran the cable out of the vent and across the ceiling to the camera access panel and camera connection.  Some images below. 

Access Panel on top shelf: 

IMG_1283.thumb.JPG.f0af126d13709cd3be9ae606a829b3b5.JPG

Cable running from rear vent in closet to access panel: 

IMG_1282.thumb.JPG.66b49d66050d1aa6d59b5edd69ce9c79.JPG

Below: Front Cap, behind our TV, which I mounted on a swivel arm mount that opens easily for access to this area! 

The black camera cable where it passes from the ac vent to the open front cap area, then drops down to the lower open area behind the front cabinet.

The white and red wires are running along the inside of the front roof/cap for perspective. I believe these are the marker light wires. 

IMG_1285.thumb.JPG.ef3a89398c6d32af97446c28cb1f9543.JPG

IMG_1284.JPG

• Thanks 1