MonacoWatts on Vacation

Just wanted to drop a note about closing MonacoWatts LLC between May 4 2022 and some time in August 2022.  Wanda and I have an opportunity to take a three month trip to Alaska with family and if we don't do it this year we probably never will.  I apologize if we inconvenienced anyone and will re-open as fast as possible on our return.  

• Like 2

Awesome!

We have been there 3 times to spend the entire summer with my family that have lived there for almost 30 years now. I have one son living in Anchorage and one son living in Fairbanks. We spend 2 months in each location getting there sometime in early May and leaving before the 4th week of September.

Just watch out for those nasty Frost Heaves just north of Resurrection Bay. If you hit those while going faster than 20-25 you will become airborne. Also watch for the wild buffalo after passing Liard Hot Springs. The hot springs is a nice stop to soak for a while. Last time there they closed it down just as we arrived due to a bear wandering around the area. We had to leave the next day, so we never got to soak for a spell.

Enjoy the trip!

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do! Enjoy!!!!!!

Please have a great time. Does anyone know if you can get through Canada to get to Alaska without being vaccinated yet? I would love to spend the summer down there exploring Alaska in the motorhome but last I heard you can’t go to Canada unless you’re vaccinated.

Don

• 2 weeks later...

Have a great trip, Mike & Wanda! 

We didn't make it to Quartzsite this year, but Lise and I (especially me - the driver) really appreciate your expert installation of the Monaco Watts system on our rig every time we drive. 

It's the perfect time frame for a trip to Alaska - should be a blast!

• 2 months later...

We are back.  Amazing trip. Took the loop through Banff, Jasper, Whitehorse, Dawson City, Top of the World, Fairbanks, Denali, Anchorage, Homer, Seward, Valdez, Destruction Bay, Stewart, Hyder, Prince George, Kamloops and back through Montana.

• Like 2

You have seen and experienced some really awesome views and traveled in places that most folks will never see in their lifetime.

I have family living in Anchorage and Fairbanks, so we have made that trip up and back three times now and plan to do it at least once more when the fuel gets more reasonable.

We have not done the Top of the World loop due to the road conditions when we are generally traveling up there. We try to get to Alaska by early May and leave no later than the third week in September as Fairbanks can have snow falling by then.

Lots of great memories and photos documenting all of our trips.

How were the frost heaves this year? How much of the Alaskan Highway was under construction? Were you able to see any Dall Sheep on the mountainside at Destruction Bay? Did you get to see the top of Denali Mountain on a bus ride into Denali? Any close encounters with wildlife like the Bison between Liard Hot Springs and Watson Lake? Did you stop for a dip in the Hot Springs at either Liard or Chena Hot Springs near Fairbanks?

Edited by Dr4Film

Did both Liard and Radium Hot Springs, 

Road conditions on the Top of the World were better than Destruction Bay.  Ferry across the river, Gravel to the Alaska border, a few miles of pavement and then dirt into Chicken.   

Encountered about 50 miles total of road and bridge construction.  Watson Lake was wet and muddy.  

Did not see any Sheep.  Took the Denali bus as far as it could go. Not all the way due to a road slide that closed the dirt road about 30 miles in.

To cross the border into Canada we were required to download an app from the Canadian Government called "ArrivCan"

Then create an account and upload photos of documents for vaccination and info about passport.  Then within 72 hours of crossing the border you must submit your travel plans and are given a QR code to show the border agent.  They did pick one member of our party for random covid test.  Had to be done within 72 hours and witnessed by the agency contracted with Canada via  Facetime (video phone).  Pain in the neck due to limited internet access there.

Coming back into the states was much more problematic.  They confiscated numerous items from the fridge that were not allowed such as chicken, eggs, vegetables and fruits.  They inspected all cargo bays and the pickup for evidence of firewood and said if they found any we would be turned back.  Also inspected under the coach for excessive mud. Again we were told that if it was excessive we would be turned back.  

Interesting that our traveling companion was simply asked if he had anything to declare.  He said no and they waived him through.

• Like 1

We also just got back into Washington last week going essentially the same places.  Banff, Fairmont Hot Springs, Snow Coach at the ice fields, Jasper/Hinton had the most wildlife, soaked in Laird, left a sign at Watson Lake, just ahead of the washouts and fires going to Dawson City, Top of World Hwy was smooth enough to cruise in 5th - Taylor Hwy different story, watched the Meares glacier calve into the water, beautiful mountains going past Glennallen,, Resurrection Bay fogged in, caught Halibut limit at Homer, Denali was clear - best views about 7-10 miles self drive into park and then again clear on hwy pullout going North to Fairbanks, Tok to Destruction Bay worse than in many years, Haines - Juneau fast passenger ferry for a day - one day passenger ferry over to Skagway for the White Pass RR, great bears in Hyder and the Salmon glacier is our favorite.  Fuel is what it is ... highest was about $7.20 equivalent gallon but now $4.55 back in Washington.   We're enjoying the cool Pacific weather for a spell before hitting the heat in California valley.

At lower 48 border, declared my remaining eggs from Tok causing a pull over for Ag to examine the fridge.  Spent about 5 minutes inside and then told to go on...with my eggs

Edited by amphi_sc