Orphan Wiring Connector in Wet Bay

J Goddard

Spent the past day or two searching for the cargo heater snap disk. Finally located it after completely removing the wet bay panel. However, I discovered a disconnected connector containing 2 violet and 1 white wires (see photo). I find no obvious mating connection in the wet bay and there is no voltage between the white and either violet wires.  

I do have a set of 2005 Diplomat Wiring Diagrams which I had previously printed out and bound into a book at Kinkos. BTW, this is a very useful resource. Looking through the schematics I wasn't able to find anything that matched. 

This was a pre-owned coach before my purchase in 2015. I would just like to identify and possibly resolve the mystery before I reinstall the wet bay panel. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Jeff

IMG_3018_1.jpg

As you go through the motor home you will discover more of them, they are probably for options that you don’t have. I think they had there harnesses made up to make one size fit all and some connections weren’t used for different models. That is my theory as I have discovered them on my unit as well and everything on the unit is working 

4 minutes ago, Reka52 said:

As you go through the motor home you will discover more of them, they are probably for options that you don’t have. I think they had there harnesses made up to make one size fit all and some connections weren’t used for different models. That is my theory as I have discovered them on my unit as well and everything on the unit is working 

I'm guessing the same thing, I use to do wiring on stretch limos a long time ago and that's how we built the main harness.

It's common in automotive applications to have unused connectors. Cheaper to make one standard harness that allows for all options and then plug in the ones that are actually installed. Wouldn't be surprised if there were 20-30 of them. If you can identify what it was for, it helps to know so you can repurpose it for something else.

I have a 2006 Dip, and can tell you that connector terminates behind the information panel in the coach. I used it for the wiring for my SeeLevel system so I could put the display where the old KIB display was in that panel. 

What I can’t tell you is what option it was originally designed for.

Not sure would be located in the wet bay as an option.

But on my wiring schematic it showed and "Optional" cold weather package.  I had the wet bay heater but I did not have the heating pads.  I did have a relay in my back drivers side electrical bay but no heating pads.  I was poking around in my wet bay and water tanks and found a coil of wires, which I tested and they did have power going to the wires when I tested the wet bay heater by bypassing the snap disc.  So I took the wires and added two heating pads under the fresh water tank and one under the Grey/Black tank.

So not sure it could be for heating pads but if you can find out what provides power to it there might be some opportunities there.

Edited by jacwjames

When I toured both Monaco assembly lines in Oregon and Indiana, I talked to the person who made the wiring harness for the coaches.  The wiring harness included All wires for all the options the coach can have.  If an option was not included in a coach, the wiring harness wires for that option is laid in the area the option would be installed.

Just for grins (easy to do) I would turn on System Heat inside the coach to enable the Wet Bay Heater and see if you get voltage between the violet wires and white wire (ground).  If so, this plug would be for the cold weather heat pads.  It's a shot in the dark, but easy to check. 

According to the schematic you don't have to short the snap disc.

436283431_BayHtrSchematic.jpg.8de086e8e9e70784787fad0efb2debba.jpg

- bob

2 hours ago, cbr046 said:

Just for grins (easy to do) I would turn on System Heat inside the coach to enable the Wet Bay Heater and see if you get voltage between the violet wires and white wire (ground).  If so, this plug would be for the cold weather heat pads.  It's a shot in the dark, but easy to check. 

According to the schematic you don't have to short the snap disc.

436283431_BayHtrSchematic.jpg.8de086e8e9e70784787fad0efb2debba.jpg

- bob

Thanks for that suggestion, Bob. I did conduct that test yesterday and no voltage detected.  

13 hours ago, Scotty Hutto said:

I have a 2006 Dip, and can tell you that connector terminates behind the information panel in the coach. I used it for the wiring for my SeeLevel system so I could put the display where the old KIB display was in that panel. 

What I can’t tell you is what option it was originally designed for.

Thanks for that response. I'll check that out. Were remotely actuated dump valves an option?

24 minutes ago, J Goddard said:

Thanks for that response. I'll check that out. Were remotely actuated dump valves an option?

No. The only wet-bay option my 2006 Dip doesn’t have  is the “Electric Automatic Winterization” also known as the Swan “Prevent-A-Freeze” system. (Since it was originally sold by Lazydays in Florida, that makes sense)

Based on my wiring diagrams, that option has two unused harnesses in the wet bay. One for the bypass valve (6-pin AMP connector with orange, red, white black, yellow, with pin 6 unused) and the winterizing valve (6-pin AMP connector with red, brown, white, blue, orange, and pin 6 unused). I suspect the blue may have faded to violet over time. 😉

Both of those harnesses go from the wet bay to behind the information panel. I traced them to confirm that.