Fluid Testing - Where do you have yours done?

I have been reading in this forum how important it is to have your various engine system fluids tested (transmission, coolant, hydraulic, oil, fuel, etc).

Who do you use and why?  

Thank you for your recommendations, I don't want to just "Google" for this, I value the experience this forum has much better!

I've used Blackstone labs and/or any local Caterpillar dealer.  Honestly,  I had the engine, coolant, and transmission tested, then changed all fluids/filters.  I only test engine oil at changes and coolant once a year.

Edited by Walker

Thanks all. I went to Blackstone’s website and it seems simple and straightforward.   I only could find where they do fuel, oil and transmission.   Do they also do coolant testing (not strips but lab)?

If not, any recommendations on lab who tests coolant fluid?

Also I see choices to add TAN, PC, TBN, Soot.  Which are most important to have added for diesel application. 

Edited by Bill R
Added question.

54 minutes ago, JDCrow said:

Ditch the coolant, go with Oat. Cummins makes a non sca tablet filter as well.

Thanks JD.  I may not be using the correct terminology.  But, I think I have already the “red” OAT.   I want to test for concentration ratio since I do not know the history of the existing coolant.  Wondering if it is good or if I need to do a change out.  

26 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Another alternative to Blackstone if JG Lubricant Services LLC.

Thank you Richard.  Looks like they do lab coolant testing also.  

22 minutes ago, Bill R said:

Thanks JD.  I may not be using the correct terminology.  But, I think I have already the “red” OAT.   I want to test for concentration ratio since I do not know the history of the existing coolant.  Wondering if it is good or if I need to do a change out.  

Thank you Richard.  Looks like they do lab coolant testing also.  

No worries, many still have the SCA in their coaches. I didn’t want to hassle with the testing so I switched out. You’ll love Blackstone. They have an easy to understand summary and as you go along with changes, you can see if there is a concern. 

I will say, they know a lot about oil, LOL. When I ran Arcoil in my truck for a few changes, you could see the amount of phosphorus go way up. They were patient with me as I worked it out of my oil over time. The things they much see that we all stick in our oil in the name of longevity. 

Their Database has to be massive for each model engine. Given the mileage of each engine, they know exactly what the metal concentrations should be, or what others have experienced. Plus they send free sample containers with return postage. 

Here’s my last report on a truck I traded in last Dec. 

The station had half filled my tank with unleaded, and I didn’t know till about 45 miles down the road. 

I was super concerned about metal (piston) damage from the piston hammering because there was no burn or combustion taking place. You can read their thoughts, and see the numbers from the previous 4 oil changes 

C953029F-C891-454C-AD5B-51E5A761E850.jpeg

Edited by JDCrow

I use JG Lubricants also. Very happy with the service... have even talked with Tom on the phone a few times when I had questions. On my new coach I tested oil and coolant in the motor and gen when I purchased and tranny fluid. I have used them on previous coaches for years. 

I used JG Lubrication Services . . . . part of the problem was not knowing what brand of oil was in the engine when we bought it.  Thorough analysis, just wish I understood it better.

- bob

Thank you again to all for your responses. 

Blackstone AND JG Lubrication ARE BOTH great choices.  I have called and spoke to technical reps at both of these Labs. 

Since my focus is on coolant analysis, per my conversation with them, JG Lubrication provided a better technical understanding on how to identify what type of coolant I have (Genny and Engine) along with whether to change or add more additives.  I recognize that this may have all been just who I spoke with at the time, but this was my experience.

17 hours ago, cbr046 said:

Thorough analysis, just wish I understood it better. - bob

Bob, they normally will red flag anything that looks out of specs from normal. Plus, until you/they get a trend history of the fluid analysis it won't make much sense. What you want to watch for are trends in specific chemicals which could show a mechanical degradation of specific components.

15 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Bob, they normally will red flag anything that looks out of specs from normal. Plus, until you/they get a trend history of the fluid analysis it won't make much sense. What you want to watch for are trends in specific chemicals which could show a mechanical degradation of specific components.

Yeah, there weren't any red flags and while I was counting on trend analysis I was also needing an oil change WITH A KNOWN OIL.  I'll pull a sample at 5 or 10 k miles, although I SHOULD send in a sample now.  At least they'll know what the base oil is. 

- bob