Floor tile And carpet removal

Going to replace my carpet and tile With wood. Trying to figure out how to remove the tile and install the new product under the dash area. Is there a way to  Remove the dash on the tile by the entry way or20220626_144103.thumb.jpg.7b2fcd441e791c0d1938326e19db9a47.jpg20220626_144111.thumb.jpg.f5705fe97861f82debe57d9615a705b8.jpg20220626_144103.thumb.jpg.7b2fcd441e791c0d1938326e19db9a47.jpg lift it up? Also struggling to remove the old carpet under the passenger side slide. I attach some pictures of the 2 areas. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Guest azlein

My tile was on top of a thin layer of press board on top of the wood you see.  I broke away most with hard labor but when it came to getting it out from under the dash I purchased a 1X3 (feet) sheet metal (pretty high gauge, think it was 16) from Home Depot.  I was able to use a small sledge to work it under the press board and then hit it hard many times.  It broke through nails and glue that secured the press board and then I was able to wiggle the tile and press board free.  I was then able to slide the replacement flooring back under the dash.

I also used it to remove the carpet under the slide out using the same method to break free the staples.

Edited by azlein

I'd try and remove the dash, it will be easier to remove the tile and almost a must to install any other type of flooring.  The tile may come up pretty easy but the mastic that they used to put it down is a challenge.  An oscillating saw works pretty good for something like that.

I used a crowbar similar to this https://www.lowes.com/pd/VAUGHAN-Superbar-15-in-Carbon-Steel-Crowbar/3333060

I was able to get a lot of the staples out of the carpeting under my slide.  But in the end I rolled the end of the carpeting up on a piece of pipe, used a locking plier to grip the carpeting to the bar and then put all my weight behind it and was able to pull out the last piece.  It took a lot of force, all the strength I could muster but I got it out.

azlein, I like your use of sheet metal for a tool. I think I will try that when I remove the front carpet in my Dynasty next year.  Sometimes I think the Monaco builders got paid by the staples they used. My favorite tool for carpet removal is a pair of channel locks and brute force with an occasional bit of foul language. Thanks for the ideas.

Edited by StephenW
added content

If you try to to remove the “doghouse” under the center dash to remove the tile and install new flooring, just be aware that Monaco typically put screws down onto the floor AND up into the bottom of the dash. 

You really don't need to get it all out from under if you don't want. Just dig a 1/2" or so out to tuck your wood under.  A 4" grinder with a diamond tip tile blade works wonders as one example. Same goes for the carpet cut a little out with your carpet knife and tuck your wood.

Roy Mercier  2003 Dynasty

When I removed my tile I found the best method was to beat it with a hammer. The mastic they used is incredible. If you pulverize it it actually softens the mastic at the same time and it separates from the underlayment without damaging it. When I tried chiseling it a lot of underlayment came with it. It’s a nasty dusty job. You have to beat every square inch. Be sure to wear a high quality mask. 

Thank you chargerman. I'm going to try that tomorrow. I chiseled a couple tiles out today and it was hard to not tear up the underlayment, Do you mean you just broke it all up in a bunch of little pieces and then try to take it out?

Yes I just beat the tar out of the tile with a hammer. It is about the worst job I’ve ever done. The dust and tile prices are a real mess. If it doesn’t come up keep hitting.  Plan on cleaning everything in the coach. Like I mentioned, the good thing is that it softens the glue and it separates from the underlayment. I think I used a good scraper with the hammer in small areas once I beat that area. Again, be sure to wear a quality mask and safety goggles. It takes a lot of swings and your arm will be ready to fall off but it works and leaves the underlayment undamaged.