Reliable Toad Braking System recommendations

56 minutes ago, JDCrow said:

Uggg MSHA, they make OSHA look like a JV team 

Good analogy.  Having had to deal with them throughout my career I tend to agree, some of the inspectors and investigators were pretty ruthless.  It got progressively worse over the years.  Don't miss that side of it at all.  

2 hours ago, frankogrly said:

Let me start off by saying, I am not disagreeing with those that use a braking system for their toad. I own a 2001 Holiday Rambler which I bought new. In the owners manual on page 233, under brake systems, it states that the brake system is designed to accommodate the weight of the vehicle and towing loads. With a 30,000 lb GVW and a 10,000 lb hitch the braking system will accommodate 40,000 lbs. 

Frank O

Will that satisfy any state law or a jury if needed?  Chuck B

I bought my TOAD (2008 JKU) from someone who had used it as a TOAD for their Monaco Knight.  When I asked what braking system he used, he said it was not necessary as he indicated the coach was designed to stop the TOAD as well.

Being a new owner of a 2006 Windsor, I came to this Forum for advice.   

So I installed an air actuated braking system from the coach air system, along with a break away cylinder and indicator light on the drivers panel.  Similar to Jim J.  

I am so appreciative for the advice from this Forum, especially after reading some of the events of what can happen by having no braking system or an inoperative braking system.  Plus I have that "peace of mind".

On 8/7/2022 at 2:29 PM, Chuck B 2004 Windsor said:

Will that satisfy any state law or a jury if needed?  Chuck B

Eloquently put. YES....the rig will stop.  BUT, I can tell you with my Camelot....you can tell the difference....I had the Hummer's US Gear go out.  I looked.  No LIGHT.  That meant NO BRAKES....and YES... I knew it from my foot.  Fixed the umbilical... no more issues.

Your profile does not show a tow vehicle....and the state laws vary...so whatever the limit is....and that would be the lowest in the 48, if your toad is above that, you are breaking the law.  Will you get caught....who knows....but as David states, there are issues.  My personal umbrella would protect me....and my kids' inheritance....but that could never restore my emotional state. The laws are written and they vary, somewhat....so if you are above the limit....take your chances...a personal decision...

From a Moderator's view point....and we have discussed this off line, the "risk" of getting caught will NOT be discussed any further.....so that is that. We respect the opinions of others....but not when it comes to advising or talking about breaking the law.  We had HOPED that our three posts made that clear.

We will leave this open and unmoderated....but if there is any more discussion of why you don't need it or the costs or such, we will pull that post down and take the necessary action, per the rules and contact the violator off line.

Let's stick to the topic.  Advice and experience with systems....or those NOT to buy....that was the original request.

Thanks for understanding....

3 hours ago, jacwjames said:

Good analogy.  Having had to deal with them throughout my career I tend to agree, some of the inspectors and investigators were pretty ruthless.  It got progressively worse over the years.  Don't miss that side of it at all.  

Getting off topic, but it’s time for a story to keep peace.

I worked on a crusher when I was younger, so 22 or so years ago. I watched a kid get on top of a VSI that was clogged on top with asphalt. He had a big breaker bar, chisel on one end the pointed on other. The asphalt broke, he fell into the VSI while it was running, he some how caught himself on the edge and didn’t go into it. But the bar when and impaled his leg. I’ve never seen a boss shut down a site so fast and get him out of there and we were gone, shut down for a week. They were trying to lock everything down for fear of MSHA. We had a look out at the front, always, he’d radio and we’d just shut it all off and walk away. 

I’ve dealt with OSHA, and they are just picked on in high school kids getting revenge. MSHA is out for blood. 

I have a 2018 Jeep Wrangler that I have started researching to set up for flat towing behind our 2001 Signature.  During my research I ran upon the surge braking system built-in to the tow bar by NSA.  Just wondering if anyone has used this and their thoughts on this style system verse an air or electric system.   Also does this system meet the requirements for supplemental braking.  

13 minutes ago, Mike Wahl said:

I have a 2018 Jeep Wrangler that I have started researching to set up for flat towing behind our 2001 Signature.  During my research I ran upon the surge braking system built-in to the tow bar by NSA.  Just wondering if anyone has used this and their thoughts on this style system verse an air or electric system.   Also does this system meet the requirements for supplemental braking.  

YouTube “Endless RV” they are sponsored by NSA and have reviews 

7 hours ago, Mike Wahl said:

I tow a 2019 4dr Jeep Wrangler JL and a 1986 Jeep CJ7 with a ready brute elite from NSA. It's the only tow setup I've ever had so I cannot compare to others.  From what I can tell, it works fine when properly adjusted. As far as the legal concern,  I've not looked into that as I feel as long as the braking system is hooked up I have faith it would count as any other system does. Keep in mind, these are light TOADs compared to a full size truck. If I were to tow a full size truck, I'd look at a braking system that uses the MH's air system. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mike Wahl said:

I pull a 2010 Silverado ex. cab 4x4 with the nsa hercules tow bar and ready brake. Has worked well for me.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mike Wahl said:

I’m in the process of installing the Ready Brute Elite system, which I bought used on eBay, in order to tow our ‘08 JKU Sahara. I’ve already installed the BlueOx BX1126 base plate, which I also bought used on eBay, to the Jeep and it was a breeze, but I did have to buy the nuts and bolts from Tacoma Screw and then weld 14” pieces of wire to the serrated flange nuts, in order to hold them inside the frame…BlueOx provides these nuts with the wire already welded on, which they call “whiz nuts”, with a new base plate but not separately.

I’m following the YouTube channel “WeRmudfun” for the ReadyBrake cable installation. Their electrical install is a bit different from mine, though, because they have a ‘17 JK and the brake switch design is newer.

It’s been a bit of a learning curve, because I didn’t know that NSA made their tow bars with either steel or aluminum. I learned that fact, when I ordered the clevises for the BlueOx base plate and they didn’t fit on my tow bars; turns out mine are 1-7/8” diameter aluminum, vs. 1-1/4” diameter steel bars. The difference is 6,000lb towing capacity for the aluminum vs 10,000lbs for the steel.

Edited by FLynes
  • Like 1

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Reliable Toad Braking System recommendations
On 8/8/2022 at 2:40 PM, Mike Wahl said:

Mike, I have the NSA surge brake on my Saturn. It works great and it’s all mechanical. A cable runs through the fire wall and connects to the brake pedal. It’s so easy when hooking up nothing to take out or put in when hooking up. We bought the car with it already installed because the previous owner sold there Motorhome. I would recommend it for sure.

• Like 1