Torqueing Lug Nuts

NAMVET77

I have a 2004 Camelot and I can't find any specs on torqueing the lug nuts.  I have read and heard that it's supposed to be 500 foot pounds.  I don't have a torque wrench that goes that high so I bought a torque multiplier and a digital gauge to get an accurate reading.  My problem is, I can only torque the nuts to 300 foot pounds.  I'm not the strongest guy around but can hold my own.  I see several strings where people do their own work and use a multiplier with the digital reader.  How the heck do you get to 500 foot pounds? 

Don

Edited by NAMVET77

Just for kicks and giggles....is the torque meter connected to the lug nut socket or to the wrench (that is connected to the multiplier)?

Needs to be directly on the socket.

How many multiplier is your torque multiplier?  If "5", then you need to be able to put about 100ft lbs on the Input side.  That will give you typically 100X5X 0.9 or so or about 450 ft lbs.

If your wrench had a 5 ft length, then you would need about 20 lbs of force to get 100ft lbs.  I think you can handle that!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DavidL said:

Needs to be directly on the socket.

Agreed.  I wouldn't trust a torque multiplier for accuracy.  Ever.

I bought one of these . . . . but could have sworn it was advertised at 500 ft-lbs . . . . only 442.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079CN87WJ/

And still don't have a breaker bar long enough.  Someday (when I feel like wrestling 100+ lb tires).

- bob

1 hour ago, cbr046 said:

I bought one of these . . . . but could have sworn it was advertised at 500 ft-lbs . . . . only 442.

And still don't have a breaker bar long enough.  Someday (when I feel like wrestling 100+ lb tires).

- bob

Interesting,  I got this one to 750lbs for much less.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009GLITFW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

3 hours ago, cbr046 said:

- bob

Amazon didn't do NM to ft lb conversion correctly...737ftlb rated,

I did have the gauge on the back end of the torque multiplier. I’ll try and put it right after the lug nut socket.  The multiplier is a 50 to 1.  It shouldn’t take a lot of effort to get to 500 ft lbs.  The handle is just a short hand crank style handle. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NAMVET77 said:

I did have the gauge on the back end of the torque multiplier. I’ll try and put it right after the lug nut socket.  The multiplier is a 50 to 1.  It shouldn’t take a lot of effort to get to 500 ft lbs.  The handle is just a short hand crank style handle. 

Which torque multiplier do you have?

I went to a local truck repair garage yesterday and they don’t torque lug nuts. All they use is a 1 inch air gun until the nuts are tight and call it a day!!!  That is what the guy did that came to the house and changed the tires.  When I was in a campground last summer I noticed a leak on one of my inside tires. When the road side assistance showed up he fixed the leak (loose valve stem) and when he put the tires back on he did the same thing. Hit it with a 1 inch air gun and called it a day. I asked about torquing the lug nuts and he said they never do it!!!

Don

I went to a TA Travel Center Truck Stop Tire Shop, They came out with a 4 or 5 foot long torque wrench and checked ALL of my wheels. 

I said how much do I owe you, he said NOTHING, and come back anytime.

I said THANK YOU, end of story.

Take it for what its worth.

Dr Don

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NAMVET77 said:

I certainly hope you didn't get to 300 lb/ft on the input of that multiplier.  That would be around 15,000 lb/ft on the socket. LOL

1 minute ago, DavidL said:

If the shop doesn't use a torque wrench, go find a professional shop.

It’s a huge chain of tire shops that do a lot of truck tires. I’m sure if they had any come loose they would use a torque wrench. 

16 minutes ago, Ken Thompson said:

It’s a huge chain of tire shops that do a lot of truck tires. I’m sure if they had any come loose they would use a torque wrench. 

the roads just got a bit more dangerous...

It would be fun to torque some wheels they just finished with to see how consistent they are tightened and to what torque.

Edited by DavidL
  • Like 1

I didn't get a chance to put the gauge right behind the socket today but will tomorrow (not sure why that would make a difference).  Is there a formula to using the torque multiplier?  Davis L mentioned if I torqued the lug nuts to 300 pounds it would be waaaaay over the 300 foot pounds that the meter read.  The torque multiplier may not be real accurate but neither is just using a air impact wrench.  I was hoping to be able to get it close but without a torque wrench I will not know how good or bad it would be.  Any ideas on the right amount of torque to read on the gauge???  I have looked everywhere to see if there was a formula but can not find any data and none came with the gauge or the torque multiplier.  It sure worked good taking off the lug nuts.......

Don

Some shops may be using torque sticks, sort of a calibrated extension that limits the torque. They are expensive and I don't know if I would trust them anyway. About the multiplier, I would not trust calculation based on ratio either. I know that 12lbs at the handle makes about 450lbs at the nut with mine but I don't use that anymore either. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DavidL said:

the roads just got a bit more dangerous...

It would be fun to torque some wheels they just finished with to see how consistent they are tightened and to what torque.

I’m not sure how you think the roads just got more dangerous. When is the last time you seen a truck tire come off? This shop, as well as the whole chain of shops has been doing this for over 40 years that I know of. I know the importance of torque values on a lot of things. I just think truck tires could be torqued at a lot lower value and still not come off.