Looking for lost volts

Gary Petersen

2002 Signature

The water pump is not receiving voltage (the line fuse at the pump is OK) and also, the bank of hallway ceiling lights are not working. 

I have been hunting for the related fuse, or a  source of power for each, but no luck.

Looking for guidance as to where to look and the process that I should follow to locate and trace this down

Thanks,

Gary

Gary, if the wires to the water pump are not showing 12 VDC and the in-line fuse is good then back trace to the Intellitec Water Pump Latching Controller to make sure there is 12 VDC at that relay. If yes, there are also relay(s) involved after that latching relay, at least there are on my previous Windsor. Those have to be working correctly for the voltage to get to the pump. If there is no 12 VDC at the Intellitec Latching Controller, then it may be a fuse located in the house fuse panel that is generally located inside the coach. Possibly in the bedroom, at least that's where it is my Windsor.

Attached is a photo of the latching relay.

Water Pump Intellitec 10 Amp Controller.jpg

Not sure where you are checking voltage at the water pump.  If you are checking on the motor side of the pressure switch, your problem most likely is the pressure switch.

12 hours ago, Gary Petersen said:

2002 Signature

The water pump is not receiving voltage (the line fuse at the pump is OK) and also, the bank of hallway ceiling lights are not working. 

I have been hunting for the related fuse, or a  source of power for each, but no luck.

Looking for guidance as to where to look and the process that I should follow to locate and trace this down

Thanks,

Gary

Here is a set of 2001 Dynasty prints,  It is or should be close to your Signature as the “basic” Dynasty and up wiring system was used on your Sig.  A little past mid wat in the file are the 12 VDC House prints.  That shows the location of the water pump fuse on the main house panel.  This is your “main house fuse panel”.  Read your manual, it will tell you the exact location.  Probably called out in the “House Electrical” section, if not, it is in the index.

Check or replace the water pump fuse.  If the new one blows, then you have a wiring issue or the Pump controller is the issue,  you need to locate the pump controller.  Every time you push any of the “water pump” switches, it sends a 12 VDC pulse to the controller….and that cycles it back and forth from on to off or off to on.  The pump controller must get the 12 VDC power to run it.  I think that power is coming from the House Fuse.

Next up.  Find the fuse…there is a “legend” or list of fuses near the panel for the hall lights.  In come cases, we have had low voltage issues or the ballasts in the fixtures, assuming fluorescent, are bad.  One way, assuming there is an “on/off” switch on the side (look carefully) is to turn OFF on or all of them.  Then turn one back on.  If the light works, then the ballasts are bad and they are drawing too much power,  LED replacements are the fix and there are many topics here.  Do a search.

The OTHER, but probably not an issue if all the other interior lights and all the devices on the house panel work, would be a domestic solenoid that feeds this panel.  Sometimes the #4 cable may be loose at the fuse panel.  You will have to remove a panel or cover to see the wiring.  There will be a large cable and if the screw or nut is loose, you have an intermittent or high resistance connection.  Not uncommon,

In other words….there are many places where you could have an issues.  Start with the fuses.  You really need to be conversant with a Digital Volt Meter and start checking for voltage….after you replace the two suspected fuses.

769437433_2001dynastywiringdiagrams-likeinmybook.pdf

When mine failed I traced it back to the "salesman switch" and found a loose connection.   The connection point had a lot of draw through high resistencecand was easy to find.  The connecting point had so much resistance that it was too hot to touch with bare fingers.  Hot is bad!!

On 12/11/2022 at 2:23 AM, Dr4Film said:

Gary, if the wires to the water pump are not showing 12 VDC and the in-line fuse is good then back trace to the Intellitec Water Pump Latching Controller to make sure there is 12 VDC at that relay. If yes, there are also relay(s) involved after that latching relay, at least there are on my previous Windsor. Those have to be working correctly for the voltage to get to the pump. If there is no 12 VDC at the Intellitec Latching Controller, then it may be a fuse located in the house fuse panel that is generally located inside the coach. Possibly in the bedroom, at least that's where it is my Windsor.

Attached is a photo of the latching relay.

Water Pump Intellitec 10 Amp Controller.jpg

Hi!  I’ve not seen one of these in our 2002 Diplomat.  Where should I look and what does is do?
Thanks!!

It allows you to have more than one location to turn the water pump on or off.

The water pump usually has larger wires that can handle more amps so they normally have a HD relay that is located after the Intellitec Latching Controller which has smaller wires connected to it.

When you turn on a water pump switch the latching controller activates power to the HD relay which then closes that relay to supply all the amps needed to power the water pump through the larger wires.

Can't help you with the location as Monaco was so flaky when it came to their installations that it could be located anywhere.

In the 02 Windsor and the 06 Dynasty that I now own the latching controllers are located near the water pumps generally in the very same compartments.

Yours could be anywhere or maybe they didn't use one in the 02 Diplomat, don't know.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

It allows you to have more than one location to turn the water pump on or off.

The water pump usually has larger wires that can handle more amps so they normally have a HD relay that is located after the Intellitec Latching Controller which has smaller wires connected to it.

When you turn on a water pump switch the latching controller activates power to the HD relay which then closes that relay to supply all the amps needed to power the water pump through the larger wires.

Can't help you with the location as Monaco was so flaky when it came to their installations that it could be located anywhere.

In the 02 Windsor and the 06 Dynasty that I now own the latching controllers are located near the water pumps generally in the very same compartments.

Yours could be anywhere or maybe they didn't use one in the 02 Diplomat, don't know.

Richard is correct.  Think of it, as I described to a newbie offline.  It is a “magic” box.  Every time you push one of the pump start/start buttons, it “reacts”.  If the pump is on…then it shuts off…and Vice Versa.  That is why you have multiple start/stop switches throughout the MH.  By ON, I mean there is power supplied to the pump.  The pump may have (usually does) a pressure switch.  As long as the pump is on (indicator light lit up), then the pressure switch controls when the motor runs.

Monaco dedicated one fuse, typically 10 A, to the pump circuit.  So the internal house fuse distribution box or panel has that fuse.  Now….this panel or box is usually powered by a salesman switch which controls a 80A Latching Solenoid and has #4 wire from it to the fuse panel.  If the connections on the solenoid are bad or the stud nuts are loose, you have low voltage.  The Thermostat(s) get power there also….so if there is a voltage Or connection problem the HVAC will not run or get flaky.  All the interior lights are 12VDC and get their power there. 

The fluorescent fixtures need full voltage and current and if there is low voltage or restricted current, older almost failing ballasts will suck up enough and shut down one circuit (fuse) and not work.

The location of the pump controller is exasperating.  Typically near the pump.  It can be on the opposite side of the bay where the pump is located.  If the house panel on the inside does NOT have a pump fuse, then, there will be one UPSTREAM of the controller.  Depending on the pump, there MAY or MAY NOT be a fuse at the pump.  In 2009, or maybe when the AquaJet RV55 Pump was used, the downstream, redundant Fuse was eliminated.  A blessing as the fuse holders were crap. 

• Like 1