Under chassis inspection

You can lift with the hydraulic jacks and then you MUST put properly rated jack stands under the frame and ontop of boards that the jack stands won't punch through blacktop.

Never get underneath an RV that is only on hydraulic legs (or air bags).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DavidL said:

Never get underneath an RV that is only on hydraulic legs (or air bags).

I once had hydraulic jacks suddenly and unexpectantly release once.  It was something I did not expecting the release.  I wasn't under the chassis.  It just goes to show that "stuff" can happen.  Not worth the risk, and I'm a risk taker!

- bob

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, cbr046 said:

I once had hydraulic jacks suddenly and unexpectantly release once.  It was something I did not expecting the release.  I wasn't under the chassis.  It just goes to show that "stuff" can happen.  Not worth the risk, and I'm a risk taker!

- bob

We hardly hear from those that had an RV drop on them.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 3

4 hours ago, russ2528 said:

When you want to do a thorough under chassis inspection do you use your hydraulic jacks to raise it up for better clearance. What, if anything, would you block it up for safety?

Never use your Hydraulic jacks to inspect the RV chassis as they could release and put your life at risk.  Although an unexpected release is rare, your life is not worth risking over an inspection. Purchase an automotive crawler for ~$29 then you will be able to view everything under the chassis:

https://smile.amazon.com/Pro-LifT-C-6036-36-Plastic-Creeper/dp/B07344KYKM/ref=sr_1_7?crid=ML8CWUS3ABC&keywords=creepers+automotive&qid=1676245303&sprefix=creeper%2Caps%2C83&sr=8-7

Being a belt & suspenders type, I purchased a couple of 12-ton (each) jack stands for less than the cost of my insurance deductible (assuming I would be lucky enough to get to use it!)

Seriously, as mentioned above, you can lift with hydraulic jacks, but use properly rated jack stands (And boards to spread the load, if on asphalt)

I purchased these Jack stands right after I bought my Dynasty. They are pricey but I feel safe when working underneath. I have never liked those ratchet type stands. When I was in my teens a friend of mine was working on his Mustang and had one slip. Lucky he didn’t get hurt but I never trusted those type again. 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GTMIQO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I’m not sure if everybody knows this but I figured I’d mention it,  the weight rating for jack stands is per pair and not per stand.  I know they should be tested for 1 1/2 times the paurs rating per jack but who wants to risk it. Also buy them from reputable brands that actually test them. Hydraulic jacks rating is per jack.

• Like 2

Last year when I had to work on my air system I made 6 ramps  out of 2X10's.  Cut the pieces 42, 36, 30, 24", stacked them up and screwed together.  I did put a block at the end of 4 of them that I put under the rear wheels to prevent me from driving off them.  With the ramps under the wheels I can completely drop air and have room to work.  When I'm done I just line them up across the back wall in my garage. 

Up until then I used my jacks, I know the "rule" is not to rely on them but in my career I've had to learn to trust the design.  I've worked out of many pieces of equipment that rely on hydraulic cylinders, yes they fail but normally there is a reason, most of the time being used beyond their design capability.  When I was up 125' in a man basket to check the ceiling in the mine for safety and compliance to MSHA the last thing I worried about was the hydraulic cylinder failing. 

But now that I have the ramps I just pull them out and use them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The reason I made 6 was to able to elevate the whole coach evenly while I worked on the air system.  I did not wont to use just one set under the rear tires as there would have been too much weight resting on one tire on each side, the rear is pretty heavy and it would have been way over the max tire load.

I did not know how long I was going to be be working on the system, turns out I had it on the ramps for a month while I ordered and replaced parts.  

19 hours ago, CAT Stephen said:

Never use your Hydraulic jacks to inspect the RV chassis as they could release and put your life at risk.  Although an unexpected release is rare, your life is not worth risking over an inspection. Purchase an automotive crawler for ~$29 then you will be able to view everything under the chassis:

https://smile.amazon.com/Pro-LifT-C-6036-36-Plastic-Creeper/dp/B07344KYKM/ref=sr_1_7?crid=ML8CWUS3ABC&keywords=creepers+automotive&qid=1676245303&sprefix=creeper%2Caps%2C83&sr=8-7

My coach, when at ride height, doesn't leave enough room for my head, even on a low creeper.
Also, it's still supported by the airbags when at ride height, which can also fail and suddenly drop the coach to the ground.

You can use the leveling jacks to raise the vehicle, but the ONLY way to safely get underneath is to have it blocked up on properly rated jack stands, with a mechanical means of locking in position.
Be aware that most jack stands are rated in pairs, so keep that in mind when buying stands.

Be careful, you don't get a second chance when one of these coaches lands on your head.

Before I knew better, I'd lift min on jacks and crawl around working on it.  Then one night, I parked, had slides out, released air,  and then leveled on my hydraulic jacks.   All seemed good and I stepped outside as the Nason park brake switch failed and the jacks thought my park brake was off and retracted the jacks on empty air bags so fast it would have crushed anyone.  After that, I vowed not to go back under without proper support. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Steven P said:

Before I knew better, I'd lift min on jacks and crawl around working on it.  Then one night, I parked, had slides out, released air,  and then leveled on my hydraulic jacks.   All seemed good and I stepped outside as the Nason park brake switch failed and the jacks thought my park brake was off and retracted the jacks on empty air bags so fast it would have crushed anyone.  After that, I vowed not to go back under without proper support. 

It really is shocking how such a simple part failure can drop that coach to the ground in an instant.

I'm thankful that you were ok, and that you learned this lesson the easy and painless way.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Steven P said:

Thank you for sharing this personal experience information.  Back when I started owning motorhomes in the 80's before the internet and discussion forums were invented, I ran tires way over 10 years old, and would get under a coach supported only by hydraulic jacks.  With the information we now know, for me that would never happen today.  We all learn by sharing real life experiences.

When I worked for corporate America for a major oil company, every week we used to have a mandatory multi day safety class for all new hires.  Management would rotate to give a perspective at the beginning of each class.  I liked to use the example of a driver safety session where the class was made up of only state troopers.  Before the instruction started, the sergeant started by saying that every one in this class is here because you crashed a cruiser.  The instructed then asked how many near missed every officer had while driving to the class today.  Naturally everyone said no near misses.  Then the instructor defined a near miss by asking how may times you had to made a sharp steering maneuver, a hard braking, a fast acceleration, heard the rumble strips because you were out of your lane.  Well each one of those were a near miss.  I think about that every time I drive.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I made these when I bought my motorhome and work great... what I do is raise up my coach to full height stop it and put these between the chasis and body thcluding between the tag axel ana let air out works great. the long pieces are 12" and the one between the tag axel is 6"...

Hope this helps... Be safe...

16779415700899087959687949397242.jpg

• Like 2