Air conditioner cover for 2000 Diplomat

Robert U

On my trip from Atlanta to Lazydays I lost the cover om my front air conditioner. I checked all my manuals but could not  find any info on brand or model. It is original and low profile. Does anybody know the brand and model ? Need to replace before going home.  am on 239 in campground. I know Chris of Talin would know off the top of his head.

Thanks

Bob Ulrich 2000 Dip

Guest Ray Davis

I would suggest purchasing replacement AC covers from ICON Direct as their covers are indestructible and 100& resistant to UV Sun rays and deterioration.

Make sure to order ones with holes if your original one had the ventilation holes. That is a choice by clicking the square box.

Air Conditioner Shrouds | AC Shrouds | RV Air Conditioner Covers (icondirect.com)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

I would suggest purchasing replacement AC covers from ICON Direct as their covers are indestructible and 100& resistant to UV Sun rays and deterioration.

Make sure to order ones with holes if your original one had the ventilation holes. That is a choice by clicking the square box.

Air Conditioner Shrouds | AC Shrouds | RV Air Conditioner Covers (icondirect.com)

My original Dometic shrouds didn’t have holes. Should I replace them with shrouds with holes or possibly drill holes in mine for more efficiency? Or don’t they have holes for a reason?

8 minutes ago, saflyer said:

My original Dometic shrouds didn’t have holes. Should I replace them with shrouds with holes or possibly drill holes in mine for more efficiency? Or don’t they have holes for a reason?

I ordered one ICON AC cover for my Windsor without the holes by mistake. Then when the second cover needed to be replaced, I discovered that you could order them with holes. I then took the first cover and drilled holes in a similar pattern as to the new one. My opinion is that the holes allow for the heat to escape easier.

Guest Ray Davis
On 2/15/2023 at 7:09 AM, Dr4Film said:

Richard is right about ICON covers, they are light yrs ahead of others I have seen. 

The first-generation Penguin AC units that came on my RV had covers that were brittle and would eventually crack & fly off.   Before replacing my ACs with 2 new units I replaced a cover.  Icon is what I ordered but I think Bob is at the Gathering and wouldn't want to wait for one to be shipped.

When I replaced my air conditioners I noticed the new generation ACs came with covers much better than the old ACs that came on the MOHO.  I doubt these covers will ever need to be replaced.

• 8 months later...

On my most recent trip my cover blew off, also. We haven’t had rain predicted and I haven’t been able to go to the storage facility to check. As I recall the one in the bedroom is a different brand from the front. Will it hurt if it rains while the “guts” are exposed? Will it leak?

May depend on the brand but if original Penguin with sheet metal covers over evaporator and electronics board, you may get a leak into the air dump inside if the seal is broken up front, likely would be. I don't think the board cover is sealed at all. Besides getting rain into the fan motor and bearings. Not ideal. I lost one Penguin cover too and replaced with ICON from Amazon. 

On 2/15/2023 at 8:04 AM, Dr4Film said:

I ordered one ICON AC cover for my Windsor without the holes by mistake. Then when the second cover needed to be replaced, I discovered that you could order them with holes. I then took the first cover and drilled holes in a similar pattern as to the new one. My opinion is that the holes allow for the heat to escape easier.

I just wonder if the manufacturer had a reason for two different types, with and without holes.

23 hours ago, saflyer said:

I just wonder if the manufacturer had a reason for two different types, with and without holes.

I wonder if each is designed for a different A/C model and it’s not appropriate to substitute one for the other for operational reasons.

3 hours ago, hex_nut said:

The covers with the holes are intended for the heat-pump models with reversing switches.  Without those holes for just AC.

Guess I’d better look into this. I bought my coach used and it had solid covers. But it also has heat pumps so maybe I have the wrong kind.

22 hours ago, saflyer said:

Guess I’d better look into this. I bought my coach used and it had solid covers. But it also has heat pumps so maybe I have the wrong kind.

I doubt it!

All of my heat pumps have the original covers, and none have side holes!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, tomevansfl said:

I was unable to get on the roof but inside I removed the grate and the only brand identifier I could find was “DuoTherm”.  Is this a Dometic Penguin unit?

Yes DuoTherm is Dometic.  There should be a model number somewhere on that label.