ALTERNATOR LIGHT

gdroberson

2001 HR DIESEL 30FOOT AMBASSADOR I REPLACED MY DASH PANEL AND ALL THE BULBS TO LED BUT NOW MY CHECK ALT LIGHT STAYS ON I HAVE CHECKED EVERY FUSE I CAN FIND ALL GOOD I THINK IT MUST HAVE A RELAY SOME WHERE BUT CANT FIND ONE I ORDERED A WIRING DIAGRAM  FOR A 2001 AMBASSADOR SO HOPEFULLY I CAN FIND IT BUT IN THE MEAN TIME WHILE I AM WEIGHTING I THOUGHT MAYBE SOMEONE ELSE HAVE HAD THERE LIGHT STAY ON AND CAN TELL ME WHAT THERE FIX WAS THANKS

Just a guess but the problem is likely the LED. They draw much less current than incandescents and some sensors use the current through the bulb to power them. 

If that's the case then you will either have to go back to a conventional bulb or put a resistor in parallel with the LED.

• Like 2

The ALT-FAIL circuit is odd.  Alternators are 3-phase ac before they are connected to the diodes (rectifiers).  The alternators used by Monaco have terminals for each of the three field windings.  Monaco used a single phase winding (coil) is connected to a 6-volt (likely the only one on a Monaco Coach) "ALT-FAIL" relay.  The other side of the relay coil is connected to ground.  If the alternator is working correctly, the output of one of these fields is sufficient to energize the relay.  When the relay is energized, the ALT-FAIL light is out.  The ALT-FAIL light is connected to the 12 Volt Ignition buss on one side, and the other goes to the normally closed (closed when the relay is NOT energized) contact of the relay which is then connected to ground.  When the relay is not energized, the light is on since it can pick up a ground through the relay.  When the Alternator is working correctly, the field winding energizes the ALT-FAIL relay, removing the ground from the ALT-FAIL light, causing the light to go out.  

Since your light is on, it is getting a ground through the ALT-FAIL relay.  That could be caused by a bad relay (not energizing properly) or because the Alternator is not providing enough voltage to energize the relay coil.  Remember, this is only one of there windings, so you do NOT have 12 volts on that field winding.  If you pull the relay, the ALT-FAIL light should go out, since it can't get a ground through the missing relay.  But you will no longer have the warning of a bad alternator either.  It would be best to troubleshoot why the relay is not being energized (or the contacts are not releasing).  

I'm hoping the theory of operation above is not confusing the issue, but instead will give you the information on how the circuit works, since it's not a "typical" relay usage.  Also, if you replaced the 6-volt relay an incorrect 12-volt one, it will never turn out the light, since it will never have enough voltage to energize.

-Rick N.

thanks for the info I figured it is a relay but have no idea where or what it looks like  I ordered a wiring diagram to try to find it the bad thing is the bad thing is the 30 foot diesel does not have any pacific drawings it is close to the 32=34 foot  Monaco

My experience id mostly with Dynasty's and above.  The relay outs in the Front Run Bay, on the right hand side wall, not on the main boards.  It looks just like any other automotive relay.  But it will have 6-volts written on it instead of 12-volts.  Sometimes you may have tho look up the part number. 

-Rick N 

This is from my 2008 Camelot, so a lot of the periphery parts will not be the same as your coach. But, the circuit will be the same, I’m hoping. They used this circuit for many years and models.

Just follow the light bulb wires, the relay wires,  and the alternator wires to relate to what Rick was stating. Then look for the metal 6 volt relay where your other electrical components are.

I put the white label on my relative, so don’t let that fool you.

66689CBB-C88E-448E-A757-7DFC348C8E92.jpeg

ED748E17-B0E4-4D9A-8498-7FCD12748D3E.jpeg

B0C1C9D9-B675-445B-BC64-650A1548CC69.jpeg

I may be wrong, but I don’t think my 2009 Camelot has the relay.  Still limited on daily posting due to shoulder replacement surgery.  Posting alert taking Mr. Percocet might get me “moderated”…LOL.

The ALT FAIL relay was originally a specific brand and that company went out of business.  It has always been a 6 VDC and Monaco explained that logic to me a long time ago….but my brain cannot retrieve it.

if you use the terms or key words ALT or FAIL and select Topics, you get a lot of hits and past info.  I chose the above as Frank and I discussed this.  His post towards the end is correct and Monaco no longer needed the relay, thus, we think mine does not have one.

hope this clears up a lot of misunderstanding.  “That depends” should be used prior to making and 100% POSITIVE statements about whether your rig has one and the toe and the supplemental Bosch…

On 3/6/2023 at 7:19 PM, gdroberson said:

thanks for the info I figured it is a relay but have no idea where or what it looks like  I ordered a wiring diagram to try to find it the bad thing is the bad thing is the 30 foot diesel does not have any pacific drawings it is close to the 32=34 foot  Monaco

Some times  are coach  has the light come on if I'm  plug in and start up the coach also starting up the genator  running  down the road. Has come on

• 2 weeks later...

OK put a big stupid stamp on my forhead  when i was unplugging from the old panel and plugging in the new one it was upside down so i put the alt light where the abs light went and the abs in the alt  spot so it is the abs light that is on  so it should reset when i drive it

• Like 1

Gary, thank you so much for posting this!

Many people would have simply stayed silent instead of acknowledging they'd made a mistake, leaving everyone wondering what the solution had been. I have seen many posts garner responses from the community and then just leave everyone hanging, discouraging those who had taken the time to help out.

You have done the adult thing and let everyone know what the problem was and acknowledging their efforts.