AW 46 Hydraulic oil

We are still in Mexico. I am about to change my spin on Hydraulic falter but discovered I only have about one qt. of new fluid. I can buy it here but you have to buy a 5 gallon pail! The last time I needed some I was in Tucson and had the same problem. F nally found a hydraulic shop that had it in bulk and he filled my container. I was told you can mix some engine oil but for aw46 you need 20W.  We do not have Tractor Supply. Any suggestions. I have 10w30 and maybe some straight 30. Lots of ATF. any suggestions?

Thanks

Positive it is aw46. Sticker in engine bay states it is factory filled with Texaco Rando aw46. It is clear. I may have Amazon ship it to Mexico. About $49.00 delivered for a gallon. I really should replace all the oil. It takes  around 36 qts. for the factory fill. I will just buy the one gallon for now as I do not have the little filters for the tank.. Does anyone have a part # for those filters?    My filter is a little higher than the tank. But that filter might hold more than a quart. I only have one qt. My fluid level will be a little low but maybe I can just add some 30 wt. oil. Maybe 1/2 a qt. I will order 2 5 gallon buckest  later and change the system.

4 minutes ago, birdshill123 said:

Positive it is aw46. Sticker in engine bay states it is factory filled with Texaco Rando aw46. It is clear. 

👍

My manual says mine was filled with Rando aw46, but the worker filling the system didn't read the manual 🤔!

• Like 1

Why are you changing the filter - high pressure on gauge?  The same ATF used in your Allison is actually better than AW46 on your hydraulic system.  AW46 is a big no no on systems in freezing climates.  It's too viscous at freezing temperatures and has blown out heat exchangers

• Like 1

Frank. No high pressure reading but it is at least  20,000 miles and 4 years since I changed the spin on.  I have a spare filter. We have driven in temps as low as 15 to 20f with no problems. I thought that maybe Monaco used the aw46 due to the Italian hydraulics (casappa?) So I guess I could skip changing the filter for now and maybe do the oil change with all new filters next year.

This comes up from time to time.  I have posted this before and some agree, others violently disagree and some wanted my "phone notes"....a bit over the top...

OK...My 2009 Camelot, which has the smaller 2 gallon reservoir as well as the pressure filter, was SUPPOSED to have, per the manual, Texaco AW46.  It is the reservoir that has the single filter inside and it is a Black Nelson  with a band clamp on the top.  Got ready to change it.  Chased, circa 2011/12, over NC locally and found a Texaco distributor....gotta keep that fluid pure....so it was the SAME as was called out in the manual.  Chased down the filter.  At that time, the consensus of the Yahoo site was to drain and replenish and NOT break a pressure line and to make sure you had ALL three filters. 

OPPS.  The backup or the assumptions were a little off.  The EARLIER hydraulic units DID have the 5 gallon reservoir and the 3 stacked filters.  Mine didn't.....much to my surprise when I popped the top off.  OPPS....my oil is RED....as in ATF.  What gives here?.  So, I call Monaco.  Jim, one of the old timers was still working.  He said... Lazy folks that don't get out to the line write those manuals.  WE (Monaco) switched over to ATF circa 2007 or so.  You GOT ATF.....put in ATF.  BTW, we have members here with 2008 Dynasties that DO have Texaco AW46, so many Jim never made it to the floor enough....or Monaco had some drums sitting around and decided to use it.....but, YES, even though Jim said that the 08's should have ATF....there appears to be a LOT of AW46 out there, but most 09 Camelot owners report ATF.

Now, I got a 5 gallon pail of Texaco....BTW, I paid $69 for it then from the distributor in Burlington....prices have gone up.

I hemed and hawed and said....What am I going to do with this crap?.  My Scrooge McDuck Granny would be furious if I didn't use it.  SO....the SAGA began.

Called TRW.  They said.....  DO NOT PUT IN AW46 if you have ATF.  Then the tech said.....do not PUT IN plain vanilla ATF.  Replenish it was Transynd (or a GOOD equivalent....like the Mobil Delvac).  He said that he worked for Allison before coming to TRW.  TRW had a big "Gee....what do we do about which fluid to use?" engineering and management pow wow.  Then COMMON SENSE prevailed.  Many, him included, said that Allison had spent Millions developing and licensing Transynd.  Why rediscover America.  Then TRW, for their heavy duty, high mile applications where they offered extended warranty, immediately changed the Fluid recommendation and went to Transynd or the TS295(memory) Equivalent.  BINGO....with in  two years or so, their high mileage heavy duty warranty repairs plummeted....due to the conversion.  OK....that sounds like a plan.

BUT....I still was curious.  I called Casappa, the manufacturer of the pump.  I posed the question to them.  They said you can GO forward, but not backwards....in other words, you CAN mix ATF with AW46 and then each change keep diluting with ATF.  BUT, NOT TO GO BACK.  I gave up.  I bought the Transynd and popped off the hydraulic filter.  NOW....as to MY Hydraulic Filter.  YES, it is mounted way higher than the reservoir, but it has always been full.  As a matter of fact, when you spin it off, due to the placement, you have to tilt it (It hangs down) to get it loose from the threaded nipple and then you spill some to get it out.  When I replaced it, I didn't prefill all the way to keep from making a mess.  Works great.

As to the Filters.....here are the SINGLE (smaller reservoir) numbers.  There is an entire thread, maybe a few months old on which ones to use and the 3 stack (5 gallon reservoir) and the single stack (2 gallon) are called out.  Use the search and put in hydraulic and topics.....you will find it. I had to put the PN at the end as the Excel formatting is driving the text here crazy.  If you look on the single Nelson (which is now part of Fleetguard), there will be a filter number....and the crosses that I chased down are there.  The Parts List probably has the same info.

Frank points out a critical detail.  Due to really COLD, as in zero or below, the AW46 would change viscosity and we have had several folks blow up their pumps or their coolers.  Not in the upper or low teens.  So keep that in mind.

If it were MINE....I'd switch over to Transynd (the real Allison) or the Delvac (Mobil) equivalent.  I have changed mine twice....and have almost 68K on it and did it the last time around 58K.  I may NEVER change it again.  I trust the Transynd to keep it going and TRW was the source of my info and that recommendation.  

Nelson Fleetguard 83804E LF637          Nelson 83804

Stamped - FG 91417 Supercedes 83804E

2 hours ago, birdshill123 said:

Frank. No high pressure reading but it is at least  20,000 miles and 4 years since I changed the spin on.  I have a spare filter. We have driven in temps as low as 15 to 20f with no problems. I thought that maybe Monaco used the aw46 due to the Italian hydraulics (casappa?) So I guess I could skip changing the filter for now and maybe do the oil change with all new filters next year.

That's what I would do.  Oh, BTW, mine has 62,000 miles, original filters and original AW46 not driven below freezing temperatures. Pressures are just off the zero mark.  IMHO, some maintenance items are a bit Monaco CYA overkill.  When was the last time you changed the power steering fluid in your daily driver car?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Frank McElroy said:

That's what I would do.  Oh, BTW, mine has 62,000 miles, original filters and original AW46 not driven below freezing temperatures. Pressures are just off the zero mark.  IMHO, some maintenance items are a bit Monaco CYA overkill.  When thas the last time you changed the power steering fluid in your daily driver car?

I'm about 5,000mi less than you, original ATF, but changed the spin-on once.

Restriction gauge was nowhere near the red zone.

Sealed system, no combustion contamination (or fuel dilution), should last a long time!

Edited by 96 EVO

11 minutes ago, Frank McElroy said:

That's what I would do.  Oh, BTW, mine has 62,000 miles, original filters and original AW46 not driven below freezing temperatures. Pressures are just off the zero mark.  IMHO, some maintenance items are a bit Monaco CYA overkill.  When thas the last time you changed the power steering fluid in your daily driver car?

I changed ours at 150k, I'd bet it was never changed before judging by the filter. Not saying it is the best idea to go that long but with the same aw46, filter at the lowest point by the hitch and not a spec of dirt in the oil. Did not cut the filter but whatever might have been in it, it did good job. At almost an other 50k since then, still no pressure increase. Ours takes 10 Gal, would be pretty expensive change with Alisson fluid.

I think the differece is thatwe have a pump and hydraulic motor forthe rad fan. A lot more complex than an automobile power steering. We had a Bluebird and the hydraulic systems were always a problem. The Italian system on our Dynasty does not have a good N.A. parts distribution network. When our unit was new my fan began to run all the time. There was a part missing from the pump. Monaco did not have the part but they had a complete pump. I told them to ship me the pump. I would remove the part and return the pump. The tech guy went out to the assembly area and robbed the part. There were none in N.A. So I want to really look after the hydraulic system.  The API no longer has a spec for  Dexron ATF. So what you buy is sort of Generic. They are all the same.

2 minutes ago, birdshill123 said:

I think the differece is thatwe have a pump and hydraulic motor forthe rad fan. A lot more complex than an automobile power steering. 

Pretty sure everyone that has replied on your thread has the same.

23 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Sealed system, no combustion contamination (or fuel dilution), should last a long time!

24 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

There are some sealed systems that can go a long time between maintenance.  OTOH some still go to the parts department looking for blinker fluid.

Guest Ray Davis
16 minutes ago, Frank McElroy said:

OTOH some still go to the parts department looking for blinker fluid.

Yeah, that stuff is hard to find.  Where have you guys been getting yours?   

Aw,  I bet you're messing with me.

When I was in the Navy we would send boots to get prop wash.  It was mean but funny as long as it was someone else.  LOL

Just now, Ray Davis said:

Yeah, that stuff is hard to find.  Where have you guys been getting yours?   

Aw,  I bet you're messing with me.

When I was in the Navy we would send boots to get prop wash.  It was mean but funny as long as it was someone else.  LOL

The parts counter guys really enjoy it when a young teen shows up asking where to find blinker fluid and exhaust coupler grease.

1 hour ago, Frank McElroy said:

The parts counter guys really enjoy it when a young teen shows up asking where to find blinker fluid and exhaust coupler grease.

I tried that on my daughter but she knew better and called it out as a Dad joke.  Her boyfriend at the time wasn't so smart...  Sort of like the test back in the day before automatic door locks when you unlock the door for the date and the date doesn't reach over to unlock your door.  But I digress...

• Haha 1

Guest Ray Davis

Well, I do declare,  and I thought you guys were funning me.  Nope there it is for sale on Amazon,  cheap too.

It's past my bedtime, it makes me gullible.

29 minutes ago, Happycarz said:

That a great stocking stuffers but a bit pricey at $9 a bottle.

... and it's an empty bottle.

13 hours ago, Frank McElroy said:

There are some sealed systems that can go a long time between maintenance.  OTOH some still go to the parts department looking for blinker fluid.

Frank, 

please add this to the parts list.

Thanks

90D0DFDA-FF18-400C-8CFC-C9DA0FF9FB4C.png

• Haha 1

This last time I used Valvoline Dex/Merc synthetic ATF because it was less expensive than non-synthetic.  $17.98 per gallon at Walmart.  

Hydraulic systems are pretty forgiving on the type of oil as long as it's clean and you don't heavily stress the system until warm.  

https://www.amazon.com/Blinker-Fluid-HAND-VERSION-Hilarious-Gift-Stocking-Stuffer-Car/dp/B06ZXSKDZG/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1LUQMV2RWTVMS&keywords=blinker+fluid&qid=1680056806&sprefix=Blinker%2Caps%2C170&sr=8-1