Radiator replacement

Go to solution Solved by Robert U,

Fan blade broke off and into radiator, could not be repaired.  Part number on fan was easy to find and fan replaced.

Radiator was another problem, but eventually found.

My dumb question is does the fan suck air thru radiator and air cooler or does it blow air out thru radiator and air cooler.

Fan can be turned either way.

I thought it would suck air as any other vehicle.

Barry Wilson

2006 Monaco Diplomat 400 ISL

rear radiator

The fan should pull cooler air from the outside through the condenser pack versus pulling hot engine air from the engine compartment through the stack.

The latter is not a logical solution for cooling off a condenser pack.

Just my opinion.

Edited by Dr4Film
  • Disagree 1

• Solution

Barry, Fan blows out not sucking in. If you stand behind motorhome with engine running it will almost blow you away. By the way how long did it take you to remove radiator ?

Bob U 2000 Dip

Rear radiator on Diplamat not side radiator

Bob U

• Like 2

Well if you’ve ever had your crankcase breather tube melt off because of a really bad exhaust leak on a cross country holiday in east coast Canada, you’d find out that the engine side of your radiator will get completely covered and clogged in oil, indicating that the fan is indeed blowing the hot engine air through the radiator to the outside.  
Ask me how I know. 😡

Edited by BradHend
  • Like 1

Guest Ray Davis
1 hour ago, Barry W said:

does the fan suck air thru radiator and air cooler or does it blow air out thru radiator and air cooler.

Fan can be turned either way.

Many fan blades do have a front and backside.  The blades usually have a slight curve on the output side. 

However IMHO turning the fan around will not change the air direction.

Well consensus being airflow is to outside, then I need to turn fan around.

Just need to remove air cooler then put back, two hours of work for this old man

First time removing radiator was about three hours of work.  But since have learned how much faster.

I assume that you must access the top part through the bedroom closet inside the coach as that would be the only way to reach the top bolts, from what I am able to see crawling underneath my '06 Endeavor (sister coach to the Diplomat)?

I find just changing out the oil filter enough of a contortion for these 'ol bones!

On 3/31/2023 at 10:08 AM, guy_ethier said:

Any chance you could post pictures long the way?  That would certainly help anybody else out here who needs to change out their radiator and get access to these rear mounted ISL fans.

Thanks for any pics/videos!

I did not see your post until I had removed CAC and reversed fan.  But here are some pics as I was finishing put everything back together.

When removing loosen this clamp and use small screwdriver to pry rubber from CAC.

image.thumb.jpeg.743cbd2c91d07ea857fc7ba3e974bc55.jpeg

This is on the left side standing in back of Coach.

On right side open access door in bedroom and loosen clamp on hose attached to the turbo.

image.thumb.jpeg.05970ad5eb50c7e74b3ffc8451aa6fec.jpeg

This show two of the three bolts that attach the CAC to the top of the shroud.

image.thumb.jpeg.a512d0366c415126dd20975e3b3be3fd.jpeg

Bottom of bracket bolts to frame.  One on each side.

image.thumb.jpeg.c2c47b897c7c878b622d801ea7523f4b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d319c59fffbe6fe8c8ad296708c4e678.jpeg

Bracket uses two bolts into CAC.

image.thumb.png.589c083d2f5fb606e42c81fa46c74baf.png

Right hand side

Three brackets from shroud bolt into side.

image.thumb.jpeg.dbb918edfde1dac642a0d89b6b323525.jpeg

Left hand side

image.thumb.jpeg.515f0d69cc9899fbce3bf28f11fe7aca.jpeg

That secures CAC, Radiator is just held in place by bottom frame and CAC.

image.thumb.jpeg.b7b284c75f261caeab20337808b38028.jpeg

Z shaped panel screwed in with sheet metal screws

image.thumb.jpeg.1ccfd98fe399cd3e3b60f67d643eb7fb.jpeg

Right hand panel

image.thumb.jpeg.b7403294080a27f52f1fe38900d7a8fd.jpeg

Left hand panel.

image.thumb.jpeg.de0307408a1844093077f08d5044212c.jpeg

Some of the sheet metal screws were not holding tight so I bought next size to replace loose screws.

image.thumb.jpeg.697d145e0ccf710f73eee3df04d43a2e.jpeg

Replace right hand panel

image.thumb.jpeg.95ca29bfc972bbb75f62fadcc23d95d0.jpeg

Left hand panel

image.thumb.jpeg.12c4b11017451795f51b1f385b40c284.jpeg

Finished, fingers and all.

Barry,

Thanks for the pics. Approximately how much coolant did you lose when doing the CAC RE and RE?  Did you let it fall into a bucket and, if so, where is the best place to place it?  Also, is the CAC very heavy?  One man job, or 2 like Radiator? Any other words of wisdom/precautions are much appreciated.

Thanks again for the pics...as Monacomama would say: "A picture is worth a thousand words." I miss her sayings of wisdom on the IRV2 site.

~ cheers,

37 minutes ago, guy_ethier said:

Barry,

Thanks for the pics. Approximately how much coolant did you lose when doing the CAC RE and RE?  Did you let it fall into a bucket and, if so, where is the best place to place it?  Also, is the CAC very heavy?  One man job, or 2 like Radiator? Any other words of wisdom/precautions are much appreciated.

Thanks again for the pics...as Monacomama would say: "A picture is worth a thousand words." I miss her sayings of wisdom on the IRV2 site.

~ cheers,

Lost all of coolant mainly because of where fan blade hit radiator, replaced nine gallons.  After motor warm up, will check, probably add part of another gallon.  CAC is not that heavy for me anyway.

I had a mechanic friend help take apart to get to radiator, after received parts he was tied up with other projects so I did all the replacement myself.

Reason for his help to begin I was not sure could do by myself, but now am confident that if you are mechanically inclined it is not a really hard repair. Radiator sits on frame at bottom, with one hose at bottom and other at top, then the CAC rests on top of radiator (rubber between the two) then all of the brackets bolted to the CAC.

Barry Wilson

On 4/1/2023 at 12:30 PM, guy_ethier said:

Barry,

~ cheers,

No coolant in a charge air cooler.