HWH Rail slide mechanism/adjustment??

Go to solution Solved by cowpoke,

All - looking for anyone with adjustment knowledge only.

2003 Monaco Dynasty 42, living room slide (couch & fridge in slide) behind driver.  No rollers for this slide.  Mounting is as follows.  Main rails (2) are welded to chassis frame.  Inner tubes extend/retract.  The ONLY adjustments for this mechanism are: extend/retract and vertical adjust rod at end of rail (where mounts to slide).  Paint lines on slide are lower than coach & the top left corner is damaging the wiper seal (its the closest corner to the slide opening).

QUESTION:  Which option below is intended to "lift" the slide? OR, is this merely just to ease the retraction angle on the system?

1. Turning the vertical adjust rod clockwise moves the rail closer to the slide floor (this lessons the "angle" on the rail when extended).

2. Turning vertical adjust rod counterclockwise, the end of rail moves further from slide floor (more angle on rail when extended).

HWH is no help, they've told me they only sell the slide to the mfg.  REV has passed on this matter as well (coach was built by previous owners). This is NOT like the Winnie "storemore" installation with all the adjusting points.  Common sense tells me #2 is the lift option.  Would like to confirm.  As we've established on this site before, we are running out of "experts" to just take the coach to.  I don't want to trial & error it yet since it's already damaging the wiper.

Thanks for reading & possible assistance.

3 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

Are you certain there are no rollers? Our HWH hydraulic slide in that position has 4 rollers, two of them inverted.

IvanK,

I’ve lifted the lower wiper seal to verify and there are not any rollers.  The flat Teflon bottom has no markings or damage either. 

What year & compartment do you access your rollers?

Our 2000 has 2 rollers under sofa mounted from underneath the coach floor, one in the wheel well, the other in compartment behind it. Protected by ABS covers. Two more mounted to slide frame under the kitchen counter that run over tile floor. But we don't have teflon sliders so yours could be different.

Edited by Ivan K
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

Our 2000 has 2 rollers under sofa mounted from underneath the coach floor, one in the wheel well, the other in compartment behind it. Protected by ABS covers. Two more mounted to slide frame under the kitchen counter that run over tile floor. But we don't have teflon sliders so yours could be different.

Ivan, my slide is on roadside behind driver.  I only have 2 slides.  All on drivers side.  Sounds like we are a bit different.

1 minute ago, MHRookie said:

Ivan, my slide is on roadside behind driver.  I only have 2 slides.  All on drivers side.  Sounds like we are a bit different.

Mine is also roadside behind driver but seems to be different. Maybe yours is drop-down flush floor type.

It's called a Glide Bar. After many years of deploying and retracting the main flush floor slide, you WILL see wear on the underside of the slide. Before that happens it's best to have plates installed on the ends to protect the thin aluminum that covers the bottom of the slide.

I've been watching this thread with interest as I'm sorta in the same boat. I decided I wanted to put the Guardian Plates on my 07 Signature, especially the slide behind  the driver as I'd noticed a small amount of rot on the end of the slide opposite the driver end. So I contacted Talin RV in Florida and they gave me instructions to find The rollers and tell them how many there are on my coach. Well I couldn't find any. Got hold of Talin again and they told me I would  have to put a jack on each end of the slide and jack it up a bit so I could lift the rubber seal and look for my rollers. I may add that the bottom of all four slides on my coach has white sheeting of some sort and no marks of any kind from a roller, but maybe they don't leave any. When I was in contact with Talin I was in Texas And I just got back to my home in Alberta and my shop, so I Haven't tackled any of this yet. I should mention also that when this slide is coming in it makes some crunching noise on the end behind the driver. I guess what I'd like to know is--can you get access to what is going on with your slide from the basement. Also, are there coaches with no rollers on the slides.. I'm half scared this slide won't come in one day and I want to avoid that.. This slide behind driver on drivers side lifts up and comes in over top of main floor.   I'd be very appreciative of any and all advise---thank you kindly

20 minutes ago, cowpoke said:

I've been watching this thread with interest as I'm sorta in the same boat. I decided I wanted to put the Guardian Plates on my 07 Signature, especially the slide behind  the driver as I'd noticed a small amount of rot on the end of the slide opposite the driver end. So I contacted Talin RV in Florida and they gave me instructions to find The rollers and tell them how many there are on my coach. Well I couldn't find any. Got hold of Talin again and they told me I would  have to put a jack on each end of the slide and jack it up a bit so I could lift the rubber seal and look for my rollers. I may add that the bottom of all four slides on my coach has white sheeting of some sort and no marks of any kind from a roller, but maybe they don't leave any. When I was in contact with Talin I was in Texas And I just got back to my home in Alberta and my shop, so I Haven't tackled any of this yet. I should mention also that when this slide is coming in it makes some crunching noise on the end behind the driver. I guess what I'd like to know is--can you get access to what is going on with your slide from the basement. Also, are there coaches with no rollers on the slides.. I'm half scared this slide won't come in one day and I want to avoid that.. This slide behind driver on drivers side lifts up and comes in over top of main floor.   I'd be very appreciative of any and all advise---thank you kindly

Cowpoke,

you have a signature so I’m no help but I know for 100%, I have no rollers  for my slide.  I can only access the rail system in the fuel/propane tank bay (front).  Replacing rail “bearing” wear pads would be easy.  The rear is a little different & would be a bit harder - not impossible but tighter.

HWH’s website says slide adjustment info is “under construction”. I do understand that they merely sold the system to a mfg and didn’t really have control how it was installed but adjustment principles should still apply.

There should be some places in Washington/Oregon you can call to get some assistance perhaps.  I know Chris & Talin have been great and do awesome work but Florida isn’t real centrally located.  I’ve told him twice if he was closer to me, I’d be plugged into his 50amp waiting my turn.😂😂

Best of luck to you and I’m still at NO SOLUTION.  Last tech shop was no help.

Thanks for the reply. Myself like you would be sitting outside Talin’s door if it was a bit handier. I guess there are a place or two in Oregon that may be of help, I’ll have to research that end a bit. From what you said about rollers, I’m thinking I’m in the same boat— no rollers.. I will jack my slide up just to make absolutely for sure I don’t. Will be keeping my eye on this thread in hopes of learning more. I still want Gardian plates but not sure how that works without rollers..    

They installed bottom plates to my Windsor one year on my way to Alaska when I was there having some other work done. They had pointed out that the bottom of the Flush-Floor Slide was just starting to show some wear.

They did a great job of installing the exterior exhaust vent for the microwave that I had purchased plus some work on my air dryer, etc.

They are ex-Monaco techs that started up their own business when Monaco went bankrupt.

Sounds like they are the boys I need and they should know what's going on with my slide. Also Oregon is a whole lot closer to me than Florida....

Thanks so much for the info Richard..Without this forum I'd park this coach and buy a TENT! Wife might have other thoughts>>>

Another vote for Elite in OR, I've been there a few times - you can camp there if needed with water and elect. They know what they are doing and are fast at getting work done. You might call them as they are glad to help over the phone.

Thanks Chuck for the info.. I’m definitely going to make arrangements and take the coach to them. Soon as I’m done playing catch up from being gone all winter I’ll focus on the coach problems.

thanks again to all that’s steered me in the right direction…

• 2 weeks later...

All, there are no solutions as of yet.  I guess I will have to go see Talin in Florida.  I’ve gotten information from other facilities and it’s unfortunate NOBODY has any solid advice.  I’m still working this issue, I’m going to start driving RV parks and introducing myself to owners and see if I can look at their coaches to compare… that’s about my best option at this point

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

I'm not sure if what I have found out will be of any help to you or not, but here it goes, I have been in contact with Elite Renovations in Harrisburg Oregon, They confirmed my large slide on the front drivers side of my 07 Monaco Signature has absolutely NO rollers.... It actually slides plastic on wood.. What they do to correct this is to install aluminum plates that the slide will then slide on of which makes it slide extremly easier and keeps it in line. I have a appointment to have my slide repaired at Eite this june..If this is of interest to you I will report back after my repair on Oregon...  Happy Trails~~~~~

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, cowpoke said:

I'm not sure if what I have found out will be of any help to you or not, but here it goes, I have been in contact with Elite Renovations in Harrisburg Oregon, They confirmed my large slide on the front drivers side of my 07 Monaco Signature has absolutely NO rollers.... It actually slides plastic on wood.. What they do to correct this is to install aluminum plates that the slide will then slide on of which makes it slide extremly easier and keeps it in line. I have a appointment to have my slide repaired at Eite this june..If this is of interest to you I will report back after my repair on Oregon...  Happy Trails~~~~~

Please post a few pictures.  This is relatively uncommon, but…so was Monaco’s consistency.  If you are satisfied and would write a few paragraphs with the repairs and pictures, we will put it in the files of “HOW TO” or fixes or upgrades.  That way, others can retrieve it later or one of the staff can find and post if this comes up….as it nodoutedly will.

Thanks for the follow up posts and such

2 hours ago, cowpoke said:

Cowpoke,

As Tom states, please share to benefit others & possibly me!

Thanks,

Kurt