Windshield cracked - third time?? Morphed into Chassis and Body shifting questions…..Gaps and issues.

I'm at RV Glass Solutions now getting my windshield replaced - again. This is the third time that it cracked (when not being driven) during the startup and leveling process. I think the coach wheelbase is just too long (at 24ft) and the frame twists too much once the auto leveling starts. Last two times I was parked at home and went out to start coach and level it (as it will leak some air when sitting letting back corner drop a little). So I start the engine, build up air pressure, and hit the HWH auto-level button. I think that is my mistake. The Coach lifts and drops and creaks and pops, then the windshield cracks.

While the glass was broken I figured that would be good time to "test" the leveling system - but it seems  to be working fine. Nothing unsual going on.

I guess I should play it sage and only level manually from now on.

However, I think it is a design defect on the mid-year Beaver Patriot.  So I'm just writing this to warn any other coach owners with a long wheel base to be careful and maybe not use auto-leveling (manually level, then switch to auto mode once it is level).

Mike

Mike,

If your parking place at home is reasonably level then I would suggest that after you get parked at home, dump all the air from the bags so it will not leak down in one corner tipping the coach to one side and tweaking the windshield. Then when you are ready to leave, air up the coach to ride height.

When using the HWH Air Leveling System, Frank M. recommends that once you are level, turn the system off so it won't constantly attempt to re-level the coach possibly burning up the motor.

The HWH Auto-mode Air Leveling System works this way: It will first DUMP air attempting to level the coach. Then if needed it will raise the coach using either air from the tanks or its onboard compressor to fine tune until all of the orange lights go off. The coach will level faster with the engine running as it uses the air from the large tanks to raise the sides or ends.

This is all explained in the operator's manual for your specific HWH model and system. 

• Like 1

Mike:

I have a very different coach than yours, but my experience may possibly be of use.

I had lots of trouble with windshields.  Cracked windshields and the right windshield (two windshields on my coach) would pop out at the lower right corner when driving into a headwind.

I finally took the coach to Coburg, It's been a while and memory fades, but I'm going to guess that it was in 2010.  The tech told me that the front cap should have been attached to the plywood dash with two brackets.  There was only one bracket present, no sign of a 2nd on having ever been installed.  The one that was present was loose, so there was no good connection between the cap and the dash.

He installed two new brackets, for a total of 3.  He then had a colleague lean on the cap until the windshield openings were square and then tightened down the 3 brackets.

I've since driven the coach more than 50,000 miles and leveled many times, with no more windshield problems.

You might have a look at how the cap is or is not connected to the dash.

Dwight

• Like 3

Thanks. Yeah, something is wrong. Bad design I think.

Some older Monaco models had a fix for their cracking windshields called the "Halo kit". This was a frame installed around the front cap to add rigidity.   https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/halo-kit-392127.html. I was on a thread about this when my windshield cracked the first time. But that fix is not feasible for me (as I would need to tear the front interior/cap apart which is more than I'm willing to do at this time).

Regarding leveling and parking: I plan to do exactly as said above - dump the air when parked in storage, and not use the auto-leveling feature (I'll manually level if needed).

• 6 months later...

I had mentioned once before I had an issue with the woodwork surrounding the toilet.   I live along a dirt rough road.  Going on a trip a week ago I moved at a snails pace down a hill but something wasn't right as the windshield cracked in the lower right corner to the top.   

Please see pics.  Since then I noticed a shift in the 'line' of the coach on a panel which does not open.  Pic 1/2 shows it slightly protruding [rear]. I tried to push it in but no human force moved it.  However the other end of the panel is quite loose and can be moved in and out maybe 1/4 ". 

Pic 3 shows some kind of packing/filler in the gap on the left hand side of the panel.  In the past I had no reason to look in this gap.  Now I see a split in the 'filler' top to bottom .   At this point in time I have no way of knowing if the split was there before or as a result of the torque which broke the windshield ......... as an aside must admit I am not a fan of the tri jack assemble........... anyway, I walked through the coach inside today and checked the toilet.  The door which had been 'perfect' once the shifting of the surround was fixed is now tight at the top.  Am I looking at serious body/chassis damage or is this the result of a twist which then 'righted itself?   

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

On 5/12/2023 at 9:23 AM, CountryB said:

I'm at RV Glass Solutions now getting my windshield replaced - again. This is the third time that it cracked (when not being driven) during the startup and leveling process. I think the coach wheelbase is just too long (at 24ft) and the frame twists too much once the auto leveling starts. Last two times I was parked at home and went out to start coach and level it (as it will leak some air when sitting letting back corner drop a little). So I start the engine, build up air pressure, and hit the HWH auto-level button. I think that is my mistake. The Coach lifts and drops and creaks and pops, then the windshield cracks.

While the glass was broken I figured that would be good time to "test" the leveling system - but it seems  to be working fine. Nothing unsual going on.

However, I think it is a design defect on the mid-year Beaver Patriot.  So I'm just writing this to warn any other coach owners with a long wheel base to be careful and maybe not use auto-leveling (manually level, then switch to auto mode once it is level).

Mike

My 40’ 02 Windsor did the same thing I turned it off real quick never did it again.now I level it manually then turn it off.

On 5/12/2023 at 10:01 AM, Dr4Film said:

Mike,

If your parking place at home is reasonably level then I would suggest that after you get parked at home, dump all the air from the bags so it will not leak down in one corner tipping the coach to one side and tweaking the windshield. Then when you are ready to leave, air up the coach to ride height.

When using the HWH Air Leveling System, Frank M. recommends that once you are level, turn the system off so it won't constantly attempt to re-level the coach possibly burning up the motor.

The HWH Auto-mode Air Leveling System works this way: It will first DUMP air attempting to level the coach. Then if needed it will raise the coach using either air from the tanks or its onboard compressor to fine tune until all of the orange lights go off. The coach will level faster with the engine running as it uses the air from the large tanks to raise the sides or ends.

This is all explained in the operator's manual for your specific HWH model and system. 

I live in Delaware would any auto glass place be able to replace a one pcs. Windshield or would I have to go with a RV center . 
 How long does it take to get one my windshield is in great shape I always keep my distance from the vehicle in front of me but dread the day I get a crack

@Wayne Thomas

Nope! You would have to find a reputable shop that is experienced in replacing RV windshields. Normally, your insurance company would have recommendations but you don''t necessarily have to use who they recommend.

I prefer RV Glass Solutions/Coach Glass as they have a location only a few hours away from our home in Florida.

I drove my Windsor for a number of years that had stone chips and cracks in it until I decided to have it done here in Florida. Luckily, Florida State regulations are such that your insurance company is mandated to replace a damaged windshield at $0 deductible, no cost.

My Dynasty came with a repaired chip and one small ding that wasn't repaired. Well, that one has now turned into cracks going in two directions, plus for whatever reason there are now two cracks in the drivers side upper curved corner.

I don't think they do Motor Homes.  If they do, then be sure they know which sealant and how to "install".  Many folks have used local franchises and many have had issues.

RV Glass solutions is NOT a nationwide "shop".  They use individual shops that are "Certified" or know how to do RV windshields.  I had a few glass chips repaired by them and the techs knew all about how to "properly install" a Class A windshield.  I had a great experience recently with the Safelite in Burlington, NC, but he said they were not really "up to speed" on MH's.

One tech's comments....doth not a survey make...

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Les Hurdle said:

Anyone tried Safelite for rv windshield repairs?

That would be a last resort for me!

I have had the windshield replaced, and drove about 800mi to the RV Glass Solutions location in Coburg OR.

Had my windshield replaced inside the building my coach was built!

Guest Ray Davis

My 2cents.   Any auto glass man believes he can install RV windshields, what could be the problem.   And maybe they have installed some, but that doesn't mean it didn't crack or fall out down the road, many people never come back, they don't want that place trying again and again.   There are techniques learned by RV glass men over the years and they may not readily share their secrets.  There is a glass shop in Arizona that I believe does know a thing or 2 about RV windshields.  Check it out.

Desert sun rv glass - mobile rv glass replacement, windshield repair, windshield replacement      BTW I'm just a former customer.

On 5/12/2023 at 9:23 AM, CountryB said:

Mike

This same thing happened to me. Over a few months one side dropped and the windshield cracked. It was recommended that the gasket be replaced as that is usually the cause. I was told that they do shift around the window frame as the coach travels and is being leveled. No more issues so far after 1.5 years.

My windshield cracked while I was on my summer OR-WA trip. I didn't see a crack until about 10 days after I stayed in a park that had angled speed bumps. I can't imagine a park installing speed bumps in this manner knowing the possible damage that might occur crossing over these speed bumps. Yesterday I called Nationwide to arrange to have it replaced. They arranged have to Duncan systems who works with local glass shops around the country to do the install. I was told that Safelite refers those of us with MH's to Duncan. It will be a few weeks before Santa delivers my windshield so I will have it replaced when I return from Pismo Beach in a few weeks. Nationwide's glass replacement coverage has a  $100 deductible. I can do this! 

1 hour ago, Land Lubber said:

My windshield cracked while I was on my summer OR-WA trip. I didn't see a crack until about 10 days after I stayed in a park that had angled speed bumps. I can't imagine a park installing speed bumps in this manner knowing the possible damage that might occur crossing over these speed bumps.  

I would think something's wrong with your windshield install for angled speed bumps to crack your windshield 🤔!

Any chance it already had a small rock chip?

There were a couple of filled chip spots in the windshield when I bought this MH.   I thought that could be the cause of the large crack but it doesn't run through either of them. I was thinking that there might have been an impact point that wasn't readily visible. I think the windshield had been previously replaced because it is marked "Coast Glass".

"Coast Glass" or "Coach Glass"?

I know RV Glass Solutions put their sticker on mine, but I can't recall if it said 'Coach Glass'. I'll look tomorrow.

Also, a friend had one of his two piece windshield panes replaced at the RV Glass Solutions location in AZ, and wasn't happy with the job, so, some locations, some replacements, may go better than others!

1 minute ago, 96 EVO said:

In Coburg right?

They own one of the buildings your coach was built.

I believe so, yes. Thinking back I was just leaving the REV Group facility when I noticed a small crack in the windshield but it was a Friday afternoon & we needed to be in Florence that day. I had been there for 3 nights & had a weeks reservation in Florence. I guess I could have had it replaced at Coach Glass if I was willing to spend the weekend until Monday when I could go see about a replacement.  I plead guilty to wanting to be on the coast rather than in the Coburg heat.