Crash

Guest Ray Davis

Impatient, inexperienced and a numb nutz.

Based on how quick the occupant jumped out of the wreck, certainly not wearing a seat belt.  If that was the sole person in the camper, lucky stars.

Might also suggest that the trucker with the dash cam was hogging the passing lane for awhile too...every day common.  All the trucker needed to do was either Accel to pass, or better, pull over to the right and let the traffic pass and avoid rattling the faster traffic behind.

Edited by DavidL
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DavidL said:

Impatient, inexperienced and a numb nutz.

Based on how quick the occupant jumped out of the wreck, certainly not wearing a seat belt.  If that was the sole person in the camper, lucky stars.

Might also suggest that the trucker with the dash cam was hogging the passing lane for awhile too...every day common.  All the trucker needed to do was either Accel to pass, or better, pull over to the right and let the traffic pass and avoid rattling the faster traffic behind.

I drive truck, and I don't understand why trucks he's parked in the left lane. So frustrating. Dude probably was trying to pass him for 15 miles and the trucker was completely oblivious never checked his mirrors and notice 40 some cars stacked behind him. Then dude doesn't even pull over just stops. Probably caused a secondary crash behind him 2. 

• Like 1
  • Disagree 1

The truck was ganing/passing the other truck with lots of speed difference. The MH  missed judged (should have braked) and clipped the truck that tried to move over to the left. After the dust settles only 2 vehicles came through…. so much for the line of vehicles behind.

My view...The RV is a DS for trying and the truck once realized what was going to happen should have braked. Then no accident and just a DS RV driver that should know better.

• Like 2
  • Disagree 1

11 hours ago, DavidL said:

All the trucker needed to do was either Accel to pass, or better, pull over to the right and let the traffic pass and avoid rattling the faster traffic behind.

I'm guessing that semi has a governor and was doing all it could!

The RV driver belongs in that 'Short Bus' that almost ran them over! 

• Haha 2

Guest Ray Davis

So many times I've seen a semi move into the passing lane only to realize he can't pass the other semi and there we go sometimes for miles & miles before he gives up.  By then traffic behind is going crazy, especially young guys.  If I'm in the passing lane behind a semi,  cars will come flying up on my right determined to squeeze in,  much like that RV tried to do.   Sometimes I back off & let them in,  sometimes I might not,  after all, I'm not the hold-up.  I'm wanting to pass too.  I'll probably be more willing to let them in after seeing the crash,  I sure would hate to see someone get killed.  Especially when it could be me or my passenger.

3 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

So many times I've seen a semi move into the passing lane only to realize he can't pass the other semi and there we go sometimes for miles & miles before he gives up.  By then traffic behind is going crazy, especially young guys.  

Yep, that happens!

But that RV driver has forgotten their not driving their 14' long sports car!

12 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

MY GOD!

What an idiot!

I can't stand people that insist on passing me on my right side! Even if there is 3 or more lanes, and nobody in the fast lane, they would rather pass you on the right!

If you get passed on the right, YOU should be ticketed. SMH
There's NO excuse for ever being in the left lane unless YOU are passing another vehicle or turning left.

That's the law in Germany, and driving there, even at 140mph+ speeds, is SO much more pleasant and relaxed.

• Like 2
  • Disagree 1

28 minutes ago, dl_racing427 said:

There's NO excuse for ever being in the left lane unless YOU are passing another vehicle or turning left.

That's the law in Germany, and driving there, even at 140mph+ speeds, is SO much more pleasant and relaxed.

If I'm on the freeway with 3 lanes or more, driving past a city with plenty of on/ off ramps, I'm driving in the second lane from the right!

If there's only 2 lanes going my direction, I'm in the right lane, unless passing.

Edited by 96 EVO
  • Like 2

For those of you that want to blame the truck driver you better go back and watch the video a few more times. He was in the left lane and was gaining quite quickly on the other RV in the left lane when the idiot in the RV tried to cut in front of him. The truck driver did swerve and obviously braked quickly or would have run over the sliding RV. In my career I had cars pull the same stunt many times cutting in front of the tuck too soon and almost catching the bumper including once when they di catch the bumper and ended up sideways in front of the truck. Not what you want to see when driving a cabover. in my opinion the RV'er was 100% to blame. Just my OP after 43 years and 3 to 4 million driving miles experience.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Only one driver to blame. The idiot behind the wheel of the motorhome. Yet another reason why all states should require an endorsement for motorhome drivers 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, dl_racing427 said:

Might want to watch the video again. The truck was passing the other truck fast enough that the gap closed up before the idiot got there. The truck almost swerved left and braked enough as another foot and the RV would not hit the truck. Look how small the gap is when the RV gets alongside and how far to the left the truck is and the gap between the 2 trucks would be much smaller if he hadn’t braked hard. Fortunately the dash cam proved he was not at fault.

IMG_6460.png

IMG_6462.png

Edited by Ivylog
  • Like 2

Patience is a virtue. The MH driver had none. The truck driver never caused this wreck, the MH driver did. Each and everyone of us is responsible for our driving and any moves we make are under our direct control. It is our hands on the steering wheel and our responsibility when making maneuvers in traffic that we can do so safely. I am betting the MH driver got out and blamed the trucker. That is the way society is now - Never accept blame but look for someone else to point the finger at.

The MH driver should have known he did not have enough room to clear the truck and should have never made the attempt to cut over. His fault - 100 %. I never rely on any driver to give me room or back off. I drive with the mindset that most drivers are in a hurry and and will drive like jackwagons and wont cut you a break. It is called defensive driving. Many times I have driven in the right lane with my left signal on waiting for a driver to let me in. I will sit in that lane till the cows come home till I know it is safe to move over.

• Like 4

I think we all agree that it was 100% the m/h drivers fault but the truck driver could have avoided the accident by just backing off and letting the m/h in. I know if it was me I'd rather let him in than watch someone destroy their m/h and possibly get serious injuries or worse.

• Like 1

I use cruise control a lot, and convinced truckers do the same, but when it comes to passing I'll push the anemic pedal to make a pass.  Most of my passes are uphill where I can out-pull an 18 wheeler . . . . but uphill pulling isn't stellar, sometimes like watching paint dry, so there might be a few cars behind me by the time I'm ready to pull back to the right. 

Same for trucks . . . . although I'm also convinced they just leave the cruise control on while they're passing.

Last night I had to pass an 18 wheeler that was getting along pretty well, I couldn't get him uphill so I was passing on one of those 7 mile VA downhills.  Needless to say I had to "pay attention". 😮

My 2c

- bob

Guest Ray Davis

I'm guessing most of our comments refer to driving a MOHO, not an auto although most things apply to both.  However, skill and judgment are vastly different, primarily because of size.  Especially a large class A and toad, it's a long way to the back end, you gotta really allow yourself plenty of room to make any maneuver.          Sometimes just when you are prepared to make your move a 4-wheeler will jump into that space.  They are in a hurry and oblivious to everything around them, the poor truckers have to put up with that crap all day every day.  I see people drive their RV as tho they were in their car,  and that's what our RV driver appeared to be doing.      My guess is he does that move often,  trying to jump ahead in the line.  This time he miscalculated and nearly killed a bunch of people.   Yeah,  I feel a little sorry for him, no one needs the problems he has now.

I have been told that many of the trucks are monitored back at their headquarters even to the extent that their engine power can be regulated depending on the terrain and load.  I suppose it's all about fuel economy and safety.   Supposedly they can even listen in, kill the engine, lock the doors, and who knows what else. ( Big Brother )

It looks like the truck passed roughly 20 stripes in 8 seconds. If my count was reasonably accurate and using the standard stripe length and spacing then the trucker was traveling at something more than 65 mph.  The motorhome appeared to be traveling well over the speed limit. As others have pointed out the sharp passing maneuver might have worked in a car but clearly did not in the heavier vehicle. Did anyone else notice that alligator in the next video? 

Edited by Gary Cole

Guest Ray Davis

I was just now showing the Crash to my wife and I believe we saw someone from the RV pop out,  land on their feet, and then nearly get run over by the school bus, unbelievable.

On 5/14/2023 at 11:25 AM, 96 EVO said:

If I'm on the freeway with 3 lanes or more, driving past a city with plenty of on/ off ramps, I'm driving in the second lane from the right!

If there's only 2 lanes going my direction, I'm in the right lane, unless passing.

Many of the roads in cities limit trucks to the right two lanes, they cannot pass to the left.  If you drive in the second lane from the right and do not run adequate speed you may be the source for backed up traffic and the catalyst for road rage drivers.  Everyone needs to be considerate of others and drive safely.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Disagree 1

15 minutes ago, SUCHESTOM said:

Many of the roads in cities limit trucks to the right two lanes, they cannot pass to the left.  If you drive in the second lane from the right and do not run adequate speed you may be the source for backed up traffic and the catalyst for road rage drivers.  Everyone needs to be considerate of others and drive safely.

If I'm in the second from the right lane, with all the other trucks that aren't exiting, and there's a empty fast lane on our left, How do you figure myself, or other large vehicles in the center lane, are possibly Backing Up Traffic??????????

If auto drivers are afraid of passing in the left lane (like they should be!), that's not MY fault!!!!

5 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

If I'm in the second from the right lane, with all the other trucks that aren't exiting, and there's a empty fast lane on our left, How do you figure myself, or other large vehicles in the center lane, are possibly Backing Up Traffic??????????

If auto drivers are afraid of passing in the left lane (like they should be!), that's not MY fault!!!!

I do exactly the same thing when in or near cities where there are many exits with vehicles constantly entering and exiting. To me the center lane is a safer place for me to be for all involved 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Ray Davis
4 minutes ago, Chargerman said:

I do exactly the same thing when in or near cities where there are many exits with vehicles constantly entering and exiting. To me the center lane is a safer place for me to be for all involved 

Freeways where the semis can't drive in the left lane you better stay out of the center lane, some semis will practically give you a push.   Of course, sometimes you are sort of stuck in the lane.  I prefer the middle lane when I have one but I don't have a hard & fast rule about the lanes because each situation is different and not all exits are on the right,  some are on the left, and those can throw you a curve if you don't know.  Sometimes at freeway speeds the signs are not far enough in advance to maneuver to the correct lane, & then the stress level really goes up.    Oh boy, that's when you need your navigator to be wide awake.   Miss your turn & you may end up in Timbuktu.