Fuel pump? Not sure what this is...

New to me 2003 Executive.  Second time I backed into the drive way I crushed the fuel filter with the mud flap.  So, two questions.  First thought was to remove the mudflap until I figure out the fuel lines/filter situation.  Any idea how those pins come off the chain holding the mudflap?  Second question... the fuel line runs from that fuel filter up to something I am not sure what it is... I'm guessing the fuel pump?  I don't know why this has been modified from its original configuration, but the water/air system is no longer installed and there is a single filter in its place.  Then there is this filter that gets crushed by the mudflap.  Any help on getting the mudflap off and identifying the equipment would be much appreciated.

Jim

fuel filter 1.jpg

Fuel pump 1.jpg

fuel pump 2.jpg

1 minute ago, Just Jim said:

New to me 2003 Executive.  Second time I backed into the drive way I crushed the fuel filter with the mud flap.  So, two questions.  First thought was to remove the mudflap until I figure out the fuel lines/filter situation.  Any idea how those pins come off the chain holding the mudflap?  Second question... the fuel line runs from that fuel filter up to something I am not sure what it is... I'm guessing the fuel pump?  I don't know why this has been modified from its original configuration, but the water/air system is no longer installed and there is a single filter in its place.  Then there is this filter that gets crushed by the mudflap.  Any help on getting the mudflap off and identifying the equipment would be much appreciated.

Jim

fuel filter 1.jpg

Fuel pump 1.jpg

fuel pump 2.jpg

Not sure why the picture is upside down.  It is oriented correctly on my computer but changed when I attached it.  Sorry about that.

The chain end links look like they just unscrew the pin to remove.

Are you asking what is that filter with the drain?

My guess is a fuel / water separator because it has a drain (drain to bleed off accumulated water)

Either way, it looks old and should be replaced.  Hopefully you can read a part number on it before removing or after removing.  You likely also need to fill the new with fresh diesel before spinning it on.  I would power wash the underbody before opening the system to reduce the chance of any dirt getting into the system.  Looks like there is plenty of access without needing to remove the mud flap..but not sure what your other pictures are denoting.

Edited by DavidL

Thanks David,

I have tried unscrewing the pins, but I think they are rusted on.  I'll hit them with some penetrating oil and try again tomorrow. 

The white thing is the fuel filter, it was just replaced because I crushed the other when I backed into my drive way the second time.  The mudflap drags on the curb or lip of the driveway and swings up and crushes the filter.  It is obviously not the original location of the filter.  My question is the fuel line from the filter runs up to that other thing in the pictures... I assume its the fuel pump?  I had hoped that the prior owner might have put the FASS fuel pump on, but I can't find anything like that anywhere. 

It is probably 1 of 2 fuel filters. And yes is a water separator as well. 

I’m not familiar with your coach setup, I cannot understand why the filter sets so low unless an extension has been added to it somewhere in the line so the previous owner didn’t have to reach up in the frame rail to drain it. 

yes, there are two fuel filters, one near the access door, which is where the Wynn air/water system used to be.  Again, not sure why it was removed and the "2nd" one added toward the front of the engine and mounted down low so that it can get hit by the mudflap.

I'm just trying to figure out what the fuel line that comes out of that 2nd filter runs up to... I'm not familiar with what a fuel pump looks like, but that is my guess.  Anyone else feel free to opine.

2 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

What engine do you have?

ISM 500. 

Hey, I finally used my brain for once and did a search for an ISM fuel pump and the pictures look like it...  so question answered.  Short fuel line from the second filter goes up to the high pressure fuel pump.   

I plan to figure out a way to relocate that fuel filter as its unacceptable where it currently is located.  Until then I'm back to getting that mudflap off.  If anyone has any tips or tricks on that let me know.

Those pins might need some heat to break them loose.  If it were in my driveway, I would put a acetylene torch on the threaded side of the pin for a few seconds to near cherry red and then loosen / tighten / fully loosen the pin so it doesn't break.

Jim, your filter is in stock position,  the big engines just extend high and low. This is why I never could use the easy oil drain valves. The difference is that my flap is mounted a little further back, it appears. I also cut top of the flap and pulled it up as hight as it went.

20230524_200215.jpg

I guess I could cut a notch in the flap to fit around the filter?  LOL.  Seems like a really poor design.  I was wondering if I could find a shorter filter?  Last resort build a brace or shield to prevent it from getting hit.  Thanks Ivan.

15 hours ago, Ivan K said:

You don't need the flap,  if it was giving me trouble, I would have removed it already.

AMEN!!! to the Vanity flap.  ATF and acetone mixed 50/50 are the best penetrating fluids i have ever used. 

Edited by Paul A.
clarify

First: Those Shackles look like they are Galvanized so, for Your Health and safety, I would be reluctant to use a torch to apply heat which, can induce Galvanizing Poison Gas which is not your friend.

Yes, the "Clevis Pins"  are threaded. So, I agree with Paul's great Penetrating recipe, or at least apply some store bought Penetrating oil and apply it, and let that soak for a few minutes , before your attack.

Then, with at least a 12" Adjustable End Wrench (Use of a Crescent brand is OK) and,  as Johnny Mo said, tighten the wrench on the flat portion of the "Clevis Pin" and spin the wrench handle to the left until the Shackle frame hits the adjoining flat steel plate and then, start applying your maximum force. If you need a longer lever slip a piece of steel pipe over the wrench handle. 

Per Archimedes: Give me a Lever long enough, and I can move the World. 🙂

Best of Luck

On 5/24/2023 at 9:18 PM, Ivan K said:

Jim, your filter is in stock position,  the big engines just extend high and low. This is why I never could use the easy oil drain valves. The difference is that my flap is mounted a little further back, it appears. I also cut top of the flap and pulled it up as hight as it went.

20230524_200215.jpg

Thanks Ivan,  It really seems like a poor choice of a place to put the filter, but I suppose they did not design it for this vehicle.  I got the mud flap off... thanks to everyone with the suggestions.  The penetrating oil and a big crescent wrench did the trick.

Odd you are experiencing this issue with the mud flap—have you checked your travel height? Would not be unusual for the travel height to have changed over a long period of time. Too low of a travel height setting could be the culprit. Start with eliminating the simple probabilities, then escalate to more costly possibilities.