Front of engine access

Go to solution Solved by Gary 05 AMB DST,

I have a 2007 Monaco Knight DFT. I had a coolant flush done and found the overflow tank leaking and in need of replacement. I replaced the tank with one from Source Engineering and it fits just perfect. The two hoses on the top of the tank are barely long enough to attach and after reading what others have done, I would like to replace those two hoses. The problem I'm having is i can't find where those hoses attach to the engine, plus I would like to look at the engine side of the radiator. I have an access hatch in the bathroom that only allows me to see the rear of the engine. The only way I can think of is to remove the CAC and radiator to gain access but thats a huge job. How do you gain access to the front of the engine?

19 minutes ago, Gary 05 AMB DST said:

Steve, there should be two access hatches. The other one is in the closet floor. That hatch was probably covered over in a new floor project by the previous owner.

Gary 05 AMB DST

Surely not, who would do something like that???

49 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

Surely not, who would do something like that???

The Unwilling lead by the Unknowing who chose the Unscroupulus who employ the Unemployable....  LOL

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Blacknight said:

Thanks for the replies-I pulled up the glued down carpet and found the other access door. Now the fun begins.

Steve - thanks for posting this.  We also have a Knight 40DFT.   I had no idea there was a second hatch in the closet.  Sooo glad you brought this up!!  I need to pull up carpet too.   If you can take another minute to post, would you mind including a pic and the measurements of the hatch?   

Thanks - another Steve

On the Endeavor I found it very difficult to get to the radiator.  I just sprayed Simple Green blindly then hit it with the water hose (blindly).  There was a lot of grime and it was definitely letting the engine get warmer on long grades.  I haven't seen any long grades since so hard to tell how effective the wash was. 

My thinking was the grime came from the leaking exhaust manifold, a project I've been putting off.

- bob

57 minutes ago, Steve P said:

Steve - thanks for posting this.  We also have a Knight 40DFT.   I had no idea there was a second hatch in the closet.  Sooo glad you brought this up!!  I need to pull up carpet too.   If you can take another minute to post, would you mind including a pic and the measurements of the hatch?   

Thanks - another Steve

Steve- I would post pictures here but I do not know how-I've searched the site for the information but can up empty. I can describe what I did- take the two closet doors out, the wood base at the bottom of the closet( where the rail is for the closet doors) has two srews on each end. Remove the 4 screws and take the wood base out. In the base of the closet, right had side, I pulled up the carpet about the same distance as the main access panel and located 4 phillip screws, took them out, removed the main access door and then the second access door. 

If you have replaced you radiator hoses or thermostat  and have the part numbers that would be awesome. 

5 hours ago, Blacknight said:

Steve- I would post pictures here but I do not know how-I've searched the site for the information but can up empty. I can describe what I did- take the two closet doors out, the wood base at the bottom of the closet( where the rail is for the closet doors) has two srews on each end. Remove the 4 screws and take the wood base out. In the base of the closet, right had side, I pulled up the carpet about the same distance as the main access panel and located 4 phillip screws, took them out, removed the main access door and then the second access door. 

If you have replaced you radiator hoses or thermostat  and have the part numbers that would be awesome. 

I haven't had to replace mine.   The only thing I can offer for parts is the link you probably know on this website:   https://www.monacoers.org/index.php?app=core&module=system&controller=redirect&url=https://www.monacoers.org/topic/3778-parts-list-january-2022/&key=bcaccd261286a08814f5a648b685dee8eb4ce2508ee98aa31f3c05cb3a45f7cc&email=1&type=notification_quote

Also, the guys you bought the tank from will know. 

Adding pictures is easiest from a smart phone... click Add Files at the bottom of the post you are creating.  And then either pick your Camera, or Files (in Gallery or Photos).

From a laptop it's a bit more involved...,you have to copy the pic (like one you made with a digital camera) to the laptop, or email and save it to a folder,  then pick it from the folder as part of the steps in Add Files.

7 hours ago, Ivan K said:

Talking about access, I happily sacrifice bedroom slide for this.

2017-04-30_12-33-02_817.jpeg

Me too! (Have I mentioned that side radiator was on my short list when shopping for a coach!)

On 5/29/2023 at 9:52 AM, Steve P said:

Thanks - another Steve

Ours is a 2006 Knight.  The rear closet has stair-step ledges at the rear and the floor is factory carpeted.  Not sure there’s enough space for a second hatch.

3 hours ago, johncvandoren@gmail.com said:

Ours is a 2006 Knight.  The rear closet has stair-step ledges at the rear and the floor is factory carpeted.  Not sure there’s enough space for a second hatch.

well mine is stair stepped also-in the picture i posted, the area where the red is showing is the floor of the closet and there is a step behind it about 18" to 24" high