Tire Pressure Gauge suggestions

snoracer
Go to solution Solved by Ivylog,

2 hours ago, snoracer said:

Looking for suggestions for a good quality digital tire pressure gauge.  I have a handful of gauges and I get different readings on all of them.  Thanks for any help.

I say....save your money.  Purchase one of the long TRUCKER's Gauges from NAPA or any Auto Box store.  I have had mine since 2004 and it checks exactly with my Pressure Pro system.  I am on the second generation of the PP Monitor and maybe the fourth of the sensors.  So, I know, based on consistency, it is correct.

It is spring loaded and built like a tank.  I personally think that the digital ones are prone to shock and vibration.  My GS recently had a major collision....if it weren't for air bags and the overall crash worthiness of his Subaru, we would be in mourning.  We went by the Tow Yard to get out his personal stuff from the crumpled mass of metal and air bag deflated curtains. The two folks working the front desk did not want me to go back there as they said parents (OK...I do LOOK YOUNG....LOL) had had major meltdowns and emotional issues from seeing the cars that injured (or worse) their loved ones.  I told them I had been an ambulance driver in high school and seen my share of wrecks and picked up survivors.  My 20 YO GS was next to me and chimed in....  I was the driver and I am OK... a little bruised.  My buddy in the passenger side had a mild concussion....no broken bones and was released later from the ER.  They BOTH stopped....they looked at him like seeing a ghost as they could NOT believe, after probably 20 plus years each of seeing vehicles that he was unhurt.

BOTTOM LINE...He had a Slime gauge (dial....not digital) in it.  I pulled it out.  Later I tested it.  GOOD AS NEW.  SO, I wonder how well a digital gauge that suffered that traumatic an impact...a 24" tree kept the car from rolling on its side....but it pushed in the passengers door badly....like it moved the roof over 30 inches or so.....it was that bad.  

My thoughts on gauges...  your call...  James makes a good point.... eventually purchase a TPMS....it will save you headaches and perhaps a major and COSTLY event....  

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies fellas.  I guess I’ll stick with the long “TRUCKERS” gauges that I already have.  Tom, I’m glad your grandson is ok.  That Subaru must be well built.  I am a retired auto damage adjuster, 23 years with State Farm Ins.  I’ve had to inspect more gruesome wrecks than I care to think about, so I can only imagine how those two folks at the front desk must have felt when they saw your grandson.  As for TPMS, I had the TST system on my last coach.  The display was way too small and hard to read.  Plus the 12v power cord plug was very loose and it kept wiggling in the socket and disconnecting.  It became such a PITA that I just stopped plugging it in.  My current coach also had a TPMS system.  I forget what brand it is (I’m at work right now), but it doesn’t work.  It’s an older system and the wheel sensor batteries are all dead.  The batteries can not be replaced, you have to buy all new sensor’s.  Seems ridiculous to me.  Bottom line is, I’m not going to get another TPMS system unless there is a better system with a large display, or a way to display it on an iPad, and it has replaceable sensor batteries.  Do you have any suggestions.   

• Like 2

15 hours ago, snoracer said:

Thanks for the replies fellas.  I guess I’ll stick with the long “TRUCKERS” gauges that I already have.  Tom, I’m glad your grandson is ok.  That Subaru must be well built.  I am a retired auto damage adjuster, 23 years with State Farm Ins.  I’ve had to inspect more gruesome wrecks than I care to think about, so I can only imagine how those two folks at the front desk must have felt when they saw your grandson.  As for TPMS, I had the TST system on my last coach.  The display was way too small and hard to read.  Plus the 12v power cord plug was very loose and it kept wiggling in the socket and disconnecting.  It became such a PITA that I just stopped plugging it in.  My current coach also had a TPMS system.  I forget what brand it is (I’m at work right now), but it doesn’t work.  It’s an older system and the wheel sensor batteries are all dead.  The batteries can not be replaced, you have to buy all new sensor’s.  Seems ridiculous to me.  Bottom line is, I’m not going to get another TPMS system unless there is a better system with a large display, or a way to display it on an iPad, and it has replaceable sensor batteries.  Do you have any suggestions.   

There will be mixed opinions.  I know and we had some early founding members working with Pressure Pro.  Some do NOT like it due to purchasing new sensors.  Some love it.  I really don’t need or use the flow through feature on some systems and the added weight of it and the repetitive battery gives me a concern about damaging the rubber TPMS modules on my Yukon.  Most TPMS say…do NOT mount on rubber stems.

So, I am on y second Pressure Pro monitor or a. Upgrade and maybe 3 sets of sensors.

I recommend the pressure pro.  They have good tech support and it is easy to read.  I have the larger Monitor and don’t want to clutter up my phone,

I really only take a good look at the tire pressures prior to leaving.  I make sure the display is on and registering all the pressures and know that they are all where they are suppose to be. 

While driving the display is scrolling through the tires, I may glance at it but other then that I rely on it as a warning of a problem.    

I installed the system 2 years ago and so far the batteries are still working.  I carry spares just in case and even bought spare sensors but haven't had a problem.  When I was comparing different systems I did a search on IRV2 and found a survey someone had posted.  Over 200 people responded and 75% of them had the TST system. 

I did notice a recent post where someone had the tire pressures displayed on a larger screen, I believe it was @Frank McElroy

My first TPMS was a Hopkins, I could not replace the batteries and had to buy the whole sensor but ultimately they became obsolete so I just threw the thing away. 

OK….here is the topic that Jim referenced.  My advice is to read the initial or the first post.  Frank and I spent a lot of time testing and talking to Moe and helping him understand what was going on.  He was relying on the temperature which is totally “irrelevant” and not the Tire Pressure.  He then reset his system with more realistic alarm points. He did a complete pre trip air system procedure and that revealed he had a small leak in a brake hose, but not critical.  It COULD (would?) have gotten worse.

After eliminating and “thinking through” the trouble shooting, his issue is loading and he corrected that…took s few times to get it right.

But, the most critical “AHA” thing he took away was the need to have scanning or scrolling through his TPMS as the second most thing….obviously driving and road safety is first.  He also has a better idea as to what to expect and the reflectivity of the roadway as well as the outside ambient will vary the TP.  Frank has a custom programmed and designed screen.  Keep scrolling through the pages.  David Pratt wrote a nice post on that.  I totally respect that David has way more knowledge about MH due yo having one longer than I do. I KNOW he is smart…because he does the SAME thing while driving as I do.  He constantly monitors Tire Pressure….that is why I know he is smart….  LOL…

Bottom line, just installing, without fully understanding the system is not the best way.  Moe, the original poster, used TST’s generic numbers….which were about 1/3 higher or the high and low alarms were really too broad.  I know what Pressure Pro and some other systems use, so we tightened up the range.  He will not, if he didn’t see it, a good early warning indicator.  Had he had the right set points, he might have gotten a warning as his overloaded drive axle was under a strain and operating at a much higher temperature….which is NOT GOOD!

Guest Ray Davis

Long truckers gauge here also,  TPMS too.   In my travels, I have become aware that many RVers are more or less naive about tire issues.  They think nothing about hitting the road on outdated tires.  I guess they figure hey, the tires look nearly new so what's the problem?  They are probably not serious RVers, don't hang out on a forum, and really don't think about their coach often.  Fortunately, most of them get by with that approach.  Around the corner from where I live on the highway, a Monaco driver had his toad catch fire from a front tire.  The toad was completely burned and the coach's paint & tail lights were melted.   The coach would have been totaled if the volunteer firefighters hadn't been hanging around the rural station.  Anyway,  I asked the owner if he had a TPMS, and he said no but had planned to get one someday.      I have no doubt that most any TPMS would have averted the harrowing ordeal.  They were very fortunate that someone got their attention and a fire dept was close by. They were seniors and the lady was reluctant to get out of the RV,  she didn't seem to quite perceive what the big deal was.

• Solution

Michelin gave me a trucker’s gauge 20 years ago before I swore I’d never buy another Michelin… still using it… that may change.
Recently upgraded from a P Pro after 18 years… was getting close to needing new sensors. Won a $99 Action on EBay for TST 507 with 12 sensors… display brightness would not increase in sunlight. Splurged and bought the larger 770 display ($160). A lot easier to program than a P Pro and you can change the batteries. Haven’t used so not sure the additional temperature info will be a plus.

IMG_6641.jpeg

Always bought what I thought were upper end trucker gauges (cost more) When I retired I had 6 ,we kept one in every truck. None registered the same, as much as 10 psi between the 6. One matched my 2 digital gauges, so it stays in the MH. Checking one against a certified gauge before buying would be nice.But I’ve never seen that option, at least for not for  common use.

08 Camelot 

25 minutes ago, TommyL said:

Always bought what I thought were upper end trucker gauges (cost more) When I retired I had 6 ,we kept one in every truck. None registered the same, as much as 10 psi between the 6.  

I believe it!

I don't care for those little plastic stick that pop's up gauges!

I acquired a good 0- 150psi 2.5" round air gauges, bought a threaded pipe and whatever I needed to attach it to a long dual head air filler.

Very accurate, and easy to read even without reading glasses 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ivylog said:

Michelin gave me a trucker’s gauge 20 years ago before I swore I’d never buy another Michelin… still using it… that may change.
Recently upgraded from a P Pro after 18 years… was getting close to needing new sensors. Won a $99 Action on EBay for TST 507 with 12 sensors… display brightness would not increase in sunlight. Splurged and bought the larger 770 display ($160). A lot easier to program than a P Pro and you can change the batteries. Haven’t used so not sure the additional temperature info will be a plus.

IMG_6641.jpeg

Dick,

MHO.  You really need a laser temp gun to even attempt or make intelligent decisions on temperature.  If you reread the HIGH TEMP thread, YES, it did tell you of a problem, potentially, but measuring the ambient temp on a wheel is not really much of a guide or help….more like a false prophet.

TST does make internal sensors (on bands) for tires.  SmarTire was one of first, if not the first to have them.  Someone bought them out.  I had a friend with the Monaco Factory option SmarTire.  It took him a while to understand it….he was too impatient to read.  He fussed about getting it set up and swore it was wrong.  What he was fussing about was not setting the alarms properly.  He eventually figured out that the sun had a HECK of impact on tire temp, even at the Thermal Equilibrium Temp or the “balance of heat gain vs heat loss.  Driving down an interstate his temps would be much higher, as were his pressures….but obviously not as much, on one side (sunny) vs other.  

If you don’t want to invest in new internal sensors, run an experiment.  Record the CIP morning temp.  Record each Tire’s CIP.  Drive maybe an hour or more and then call out the pressures and let your wife write them down.  THEN….call out the temps from the TST external sensors…

Stop for a brake and use the quick app calculator and select T2 as the item to solve for.  I posted it,  then key in the other 3….ambient! Pressure 1 (morning)! Pressure 2.  Bingo, that was the internal temperature of the tire.  Compare that to the TST readings and then noodle out how accurate and helpful that is.  

Most folks that understand what has been posted monitor their TP. See David Pratt’s post.  Look at Frank McElroy’s screens….that is the key to monitoring your tires….

59 minutes ago, TommyL said:

Always bought what I thought were upper end trucker gauges (cost more) When I retired I had 6 ,we kept one in every truck. None registered the same, as much as 10 psi between the 6. One matched my 2 digital gauges, so it stays in the MH. Checking one against a certified gauge before buying would be nice.But I’ve never seen that option, at least for not for  common use.

08 Camelot 

NASCAR teams have a barometric, humidity and ambient temperature “gauge calibration” system.  The gauges they use for filling the tires for a race is within 1/4 PSI.  They also know how the sun will impact the tires sitting in the stack.

My experience….  Buy one of the Slime 0-60 analog or dial gauges.  I have one in every vehicle as well as in every kid and GK cars.  It is amazingly close.  I compared it to several Automotive TPMS systems….the ones that display a digital reading.  I compared it to my trucker’ gauge.  I compare my trucker’s gauge to the Pressure Pro sensors….and on my 3rd set, my truckers gauge is within maybe 2 PSI or 3 @ 120 on the motor home.  My trucker’s gauge is within a PSI on pressures under 60 and match the Slimes and the Digital TPMS on 5 GMC vehicles.

Digital is nice.  I bought my family a reasonably nice, but not pricey, 12 VDC pump for each car.  It has the “set and auto shutdown” digital disply.  It is off about a pound….so i know where the tires should be and trust my gauges and my “shadetree” calibration or checkout system….

• Like 1

We have the long trucker's gauge, as well as the factory digital gauge we kept from our Range Rover when we sold it...that one stays in the toad Jeep, and both read the same.

• 3 months later...

The Monroney sticker for my '09 Signature indicates it has a TIRE PRESSURE/TEMP MONITOR SYS at a cost of $3,124.  However I don't see any documentation or system components that would indicate that the coach has a TPMS. Does anyone know who may have supplied this system or have any documentation on it? 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, powerpro2000 said:

The Monroney sticker for my '09 Signature indicates it has a TIRE PRESSURE/TEMP MONITOR SYS at a cost of $3,124.  However I don't see any documentation or system components that would indicate that the coach has a TPMS. Does anyone know who may have supplied this system or have any documentation on it? 

Those early systems were probably fairly unreliable.  It was likely removed by a previous owner after it failed.