2001 CUMMINS ISB LOOSE HEAD BOLTS

I have not cleaned up the surfaces yet.  I did buy the 1000mm straight edge, my guess is the exhaust manifold surface will fail the the deflection test and I will end up getting the head and exh. manifold surface milled. The block? Well I would really be shocked if that big piece of cast iron is warped.

Ivan, retorqing head bolts is not listed as maintenance. I am just surprised the bolts were so loose.

One more looming problem, the erosion of the exhaust flange adapter to the Pacbrake looks critical.

IMG_2970.JPG

8 hours ago, bekec1 said:

Might suggest installing ARP head studs. Commonly used as upgrade in engines during overhaul and when upgrading horsepower.

https://arp-bolts.com/kits/arpkit-detail.php?RecordID=1627

instructions supplied with kit and available on ARP site.

I am curious if studding the block will allow for room to get the head back on while the engine is still in the chassis?

7 hours ago, RBRODDER said:

I am curious if studding the block will allow for room to get the head back on while the engine is still in the chassis?

That's a good point.
I know it would have been a problem with my C8.3.

On 8/8/2023 at 6:02 PM, Robert92867 said:

The breakaway torque for the head bolts was between 45-80#.  Had I re-torqued the head bolts at 50,000 miles I probably would still be driving it today.

IMG_2888 A.jpg

IMG_5434 A.jpg

IMG_5459 A.jpg

I don't know of a way to retorque torque + angle head bolts.
If they've lost tension, either the bolts have stretched, the gasket has compressed, or the threads have pulled.

I'd definitely recommend replacing the bolts.

• Like 1

OEM head bolts will stretch. They are throw away after one use.

As suggested ARP head bolts/studs is the way to go. They make them in different tensile strengths. They can be quite expensive.

Diesel engines have a tendency to lift the heads under loads blowing the head gasket. That's where higher tensile strength bolts/studs are must. The other critical issue is clean threads in the block with the proper lube. ARP makes an excellent lube to go with bolts/studs. The only other suggestion I have is to use a torque wrench with an angle torque measurement. This assures proper torque.

A retorque should be done, if reaching the bolts/studs requires a lot of dissambly after running,  just let them rest for a day then retorque before assembly.

Short of having a stud stretcher, this is best way. In my experience. 

13 hours ago, Brian J said:

OEM head bolts will stretch. They are throw away after one use.

As suggested ARP head bolts/studs is the way to go. They make them in different tensile strengths. They can be quite expensive.

Diesel engines have a tendency to lift the heads under loads blowing the head gasket. That's where higher tensile strength bolts/studs are must. The other critical issue is clean threads in the block with the proper lube. ARP makes an excellent lube to go with bolts/studs. The only other suggestion I have is to use a torque wrench with an angle torque measurement. This assures proper torque.

A retorque should be done, if reaching the bolts/studs requires a lot of dissambly after running,  just let them rest for a day then retorque before assembly.

Short of having a stud stretcher, this is best way. In my experience. 

Re: Reusing bolts.
My Cummins C-series 8.3 liter head gasket came with a gauge to measure the free length of the head bolts.
There was actually a quite generous amount of stretch that still allowed reusing the bolts.
All mine measured very close to the original unstretched length, so I reused them and have had no problems.
I suspect my engine has substantially larger head bolts than the little B-Series, so that could be the reason for recommending replacing bolts every time on the small engines.
I've used ARP fasteners in my high performance engines for decades, and never had a failure.

• 1 month later...

FinallyDCIM_125APPLE_IMG_5621.thumb.jpeg.dc1554c86d0ef328b051183f8a6bbddf.jpeg got my cylinder head back, 3 thousands cut to clean it up.  My machinest had some difficulty setting up his mill to cut the exhaust surface.  $325 special Southern California price...  What's really funny is the name of the shop SAME DAY CYLINDER HEAD SERVICE.  Well, I guess it was same day... I put it in on a TUESDAY, 3 weeks later, got it out on a TUESDAY.

• Haha 1

Guest Ray Davis
1 hour ago, Robert92867 said:

What's really funny is the name of the shop SAME DAY CYLINDER HEAD SERVICE.  Well, I guess it was same day... I put it in on a TUESDAY, 3 weeks later, got it out on a TUESDAY.

In a funny way,  it makes sense,  not very much sense though if you're the waiting customer.