AC electric outlet replacement

deputylynch

Any suggestions on how to put a specialized outlet in since a shallow box isn't deep enough?

The outlet is 1.5"deep, not taking into consideration the wires. 

I've attempted to use a specialized old work shallow box but it won't fit in the wall since there's a metal backing plate inside and a normal shallow box is only 1.25" deep.

I know I can use a surface mount type box or extension but I want to keep it flush and looking original.

PXL_20230908_184804332.jpg

PXL_20230908_182336923.MP.jpg

Screenshot_20230908-145431.png

Any suggestions on how to put a specialized outlet in since a shallow box isn't deep enough?

The outlet is 1.5"deep, not taking into consideration the wires. 

I've attempted to use a specialized old work shallow box but it won't fit in the wall since there's a metal backing plate inside and a normal shallow box is only 1.25" deep.

I know I can use a surface mount type box or extension but I want to keep it flush and looking original.

PXL_20230908_184804332.jpg

PXL_20230908_182336923.MP.jpg

Screenshot_20230908-145431.png

Edited by deputylynch
Description change

These all look like push-in wire connections which contribute to a poor connection, especially over time. 

I get a "plastic burning smell" from one of my outlets if I plug in an electric heater.  Got any with screw-on wire connectors?

- bob

33 minutes ago, cbr046 said:

These all look like push-in wire connections which contribute to a poor connection, especially over time. 

I get a "plastic burning smell" from one of my outlets if I plug in an electric heater.  Got any with screw-on wire connectors?

- bob

You won''t find any with his restricted available space other than to go with a surface mount system.

I am an electrician and have been my whole life and I installed these outlets in our Executive but it took some patience, I am assuming it is the outlets with the phone charging ports on them, you will have to get the gray plastic PVC "handy box" from Home Depot. Next you will have to decide how to attach them you can either buy some metal cut in boxes and rob the ears off of the top and bottom and then use F clips to hold them in the wall or you can make side holders out of wood if you prefer but it depends on the thickness of the wall if they will hold up.  https://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-1-Gang-12-cu-in-Gray-PVC-New-Old-Work-Handy-Box-B112HBR/202077374?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&pla&mtc=SHOPPING-CM-CML-GGL-D27-027_006_CONDUIT_FIT-NA-NA-NA-PMAX-4035595-NA-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NEW-Live&cm_mmc=SHOPPING-CM-CML-GGL-D27-027_006_CONDUIT_FIT-NA-NA-NA-PMAX-4035595-NA-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NEW-Live-71700000113799906--&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm9GJ76ahgQMVop5aBR354g68EAQYAiABEgJerfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#overlay

F clips https://www.homedepot.com/p/Box-Conduit-Fitting-Accessory-1-Gang-Rectangle-Metal-Electrical-Box-Cover-820D1U-25R/202590854

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Steel-City-1-Gang-3-in-x-2-in-Old-Work-Metal-Electrical-Switch-Box-LXOW-25R/202591749

On 9/10/2023 at 6:50 AM, deputylynch said:

I appreciate everybody's input but in my original posting I stated I do not want to go with a box extension or surface mount. I want to keep it flush and looking original. 

Is the specialized plug your talking about, USB outlets?

You could put back the original plug, and daisy chain a new romex over to an area that has the depth to allow for the deeper box (maybe side of cabinet, as an example).  Both would be flush mounted/original and you'd still have several outlets for different uses.