Please advise... do I need a complete head rebuild?

Go to solution Solved by dl_racing427,

Thanks for the pics. Interesting to see the different installations and the not so friendly access to the centroid adjustments since it should be done with full tank. I would also have to pull the tank to get the pipes out eventhough it is the typical (to me) left-right arrangement. 

Out of all the electrical stuff (wrong) connectors and (cheap nema 1 relay) included in the FASS fuel system, I only salvaged some wire and split duct.  For everything else, there is Amazon. Then I did a fresh install starting from scratch, the way I wanted it in the Rear Run Bay.  Added a Manual Bypass Switch to fill the filters when I change them.IMG_5906.thumb.JPG.5489b2b7e8f5cebda837150805fdfc3c.JPG

End of the line for FASS fuel system project.

I ended up putting a 3/4" tee in the engine fuel return bung hole in the diesel tank, and bringing the FASS return line in one side.  I hope there isn't going to be too much aeration, as I could not figure out a way to run a stilling tube down the inside of the tank.IMG_5895.thumb.JPG.4abee6536f168c3fa3a70a7d095965b9.JPG

• 1 month later...

Follow-up.  I ended up dropping the fuel tank again and fabricating a 3/4" brass stilling tube for the 3/4 return fuel tee I pictured above, the day after I last posted.  Call it peace of mind.  I finished a tour of the AZ state parks, 1,500 miles and 5 fuel stopsIMG_6052.thumb.JPG.8944f62d1829788fb26f0c7dbe926b9f.JPG, full load of 4 people, no toad. I can report.  Performance seems unchanged.  (not that it ever ran bad).  Fuel economy went from 10 to 12 mpg, averaged over 5 tanks. Even after doing the math twice I still can't believe 12 mpg,  probably got some tail winds coming up from Tucson.

• Like 2

Your pictures with notes/comments are great.  THANKS

I sometimes print the picture to PDF and use sticky notes. 

My fuel tank runs cross ways just behind the front tires.   The pickup tubes for engine and generator are on the drivers side.  The return from engine is on the passenger side.  I tried to see if I could get the return line out but not enough room.  I decided to put the from the FASS pump tied to the where the tank vent was, I used a T and put the return pointed straight down and the vent hose on the street L.  There is probably 6.5' apart between the pickup and the vent.  There is at least one baffle in the tank.  I haven't seen any adverse affects of any aeration.    My guess is the baffle is what helps. 

tank vent.jpg

Edited by jacwjames
  • Like 1

Hey Jim so i mounted my vent line like yours, with mine i used a brass “T” fitting with mine the return comes in at the right angle, then on the top i reinstalled the roll over valve. It all works awsome, however i have found if im running the genny at around 1/2 tank the fuel aerates enough causing it to surge then shut down. So i can see the importance of a stand tube. As a workaround if i have to run the genny i just dont let the tank get that low

Curious, what FASS kit did you guys install?  I installed the one for a Dodge / Cummins  and it ended up being a poor choice.  The fuel return line was only 13', the brass flange fittings were poorly machined, the connectors didn't match, the relay was Nema 1 (indoor only rated).  Would the kit for Class 8 trucks have been a better choice?HOMEMADESTILLINGTUBE.thumb.jpg.ab99c5bac6d80dbb2503252d5a5798ff.jpg

I installed the FASS Titinium TSD08100G.

I installed mine right at the fuel tank so I didn't have to install a long return line, I did use the blue hose they provided and the fittings.  For the fuel supply (suction line) from the tank I wanted a better hose so I had one made from NAPA, pricey but didn't want to have a problem with it.  I didn't use most of the brackets that were supplied since it was a different application but did use the main one.  Overall I was happy with FASS and the install.

FASS Mounted.jpg

Holy Cow! You, sir are a night owl.  11:30pm on the west coast, makes it 2:30am in Georgia?

I watched instructional videos by FASS recommended installers.  They all said to put teflon tape or pipe dope on the threads of the flange fittings.  That is not right.

(i mean flare fittings)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Robert92867 said:

Holy Cow! You, sir are a night owl.  11:30pm on the west coast, makes it 2:30am in Georgia?

Ha!  My DW kisses me goodnight at 10:30 then fall asleep in the recliner watching TV around midnite, wake up between 1 - 2.  Sometimes go to bed, sometimes stay up (solitaire, movie, whatever) for 1 - 2 hrs, then bed.  If I go to bed at a reasonable hour I wake up 4 - 5 am but don't want to disturb the DW so toss & turn until 7:30.  Plus it's warm under the covers!  This is every night. 

It doesn't make sense to tape a flare fitting . . . .

- bob

• Like 1

So i just compleated a 5500 mile trip in october an never once did any areation give me trouble on the main engine ( thats fass doin its job) but like i said below 1/2 tank while driving the genny is out, so i have been trying to find a air seperator for its fuel system. This season im planning on replacing all the fuel line on the genny anyway so if there is such a device i thought do it all at one time. Reason for the fuel line replace is its hard as a rock.

13 hours ago, Robert92867 said:

TSD08100G.  That's the same model I installed.  I re-used the original reinforced LEAK.thumb.jpg.d2d96fe147ba0b98065fe3cabcc378f2.jpgparts1img.thumb.jpg.f44a1e4ec4afabee5249ccf13bff1d4b.jpgsupply line. I had some trouble with the supplied flange fittings from the discharge side of the FASS pump however.

That's outrageous that FASS, the maker of a fuel system product, doesn't know the difference between JIC and 45* flare fittings. SMH
Those should NEVER be mated, nor should thread sealer or tape EVER be used on either type of flare.
Glad you caught this during your install.