Yellowstone: A Bucket List Must-Do

Hi everyone, Brooke and I are on our way home, after spending six wonderful days enjoying the spectacular beauty Yellowstone has to offer, with our friends. If you’ve never been here before, I highly recommend it. Here are some pictorial highlights:

IMG_2696.jpeg

IMG_2701.jpeg

IMG_2717.jpeg

IMG_2720.jpeg

IMG_2730.jpeg

IMG_9456.jpeg

IMG_9471.jpeg

IMG_9469.jpeg

IMG_2824.jpeg

IMG_2828.jpeg

IMG_2834.jpeg

IMG_2841.jpeg

IMG_2856.jpeg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, cbr046 said:

I hope you have a really big telephoto lens!  GREAT PICS!

- bob

Our friends had a Vortex scope with an iPhone attachment, which we used for the Grizzly pics, all of the other pics were taken with my iPhone 13 Pro Max.

The moose pic was taken at Grand Teton NP…he was only about 15 yds away.

2 hours ago, klcdenver said:

Great photos. Last winter I did a 30 mile snowmobile trip into the park. It was a blast.  

I hear that is the best way to travel Yellowstone in the winter.

Edited by FLynes

I went there off and on June through August of this year and way too many people for my liking. It is a beautiful place. Thank you for the pictures.

Edited by timaz996
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, timaz996 said:

I went there off and on June through August of this year and way too many people for my liking. It is a beautiful place. Thank you for the pictures.

What caught me by surprise was just how many Chinese tourists were there, as well as Germans who had shipped their off-road earth roamers from Germany, which I can imagine costs a pretty penny.

On my way back down to Arizona. I went to Shoshone Falls, but it was closed because they were removing muscles. I felt sorry for a German couple that had shipped their camper van here for the reason of seeing the falls. I full-time, so I will just go back there again most likely in May and hopefully have better luck.

• Like 1

Great Pictures.

We were in the Tetons, Yellowstone in 2009 when we went to AK.  We added Glacier and the trip to AK to our Bucket list. 

Been slowly working on the rest of the National Parks.  In 2021 I ticked off 10 of them.   None last year.  But I have about 25 ticked off my list now. 

I'm now parked north of Moab, planned to see Arches, did drive through a very small portion of Canyon Lands before my Jeep popped a check engine light and high tailed it back to the RV.  Hoping to get the Jeep fixed in the next couple days. 

Man the things we do for those bucket lists. 

• Like 1

I’m going to spend next summer in Montana. What time of year do you guys recommend going to the park? I would love to hear some of your recommendations on things to do and not to do in Yellowstone in a 40 foot motorhome lol?

Don

When we first bought our rig in 2008 I didn't have a car I could pull.  We were toadless for about a year which included the trip out west and to Alaska.  What a mistake, very limited on what you can do.  So I bought my Jeep in 2010 I pull it on every trip I go on, my wife still sometimes goes toadless.

As far as Montana, we visited in the last week of June on our way to AK and stayed in the Glacier National Park campground a couple nights, stayed at a campground in the nearest town to stock up before heading north via the eastern side of the park.  The park campground was navigable but tight, our motorhome is also ~40'.  We were able to find a site we could fit into.   One issue is the Road to the Sun wasn't open yet. 

Definitely take a toad into the park. You can drive the rig through but parking it will need a lot of luck in the season. In past years we would stay outside of the park and take the coach because we always had some family with us and it was convenient to have bathroom and kitchen with us. The place was always busy but doable. This last July it was like a zoo, no chance to park anywhere close to the main attractions. We did not plan on staying anyway, just drove through on the way from Idaho to Wyoming and I was happy to get out of there.

13 hours ago, Donflem said:

I’m going to spend next summer in Montana. What time of year do you guys recommend going to the park? I would love to hear some of your recommendations on things to do and not to do in Yellowstone in a 40 foot motorhome lol?

Don

The people with whom we went recommend going there in May, which is when a lot of the park animals give birth.  It’s still relatively quiet, because kids are still in school and there’s also still snow. Personally I loved being there at this time of year. As far as going there with the motorhome, having a toad is a must, especially if you want to visit some of the side roads, which don’t allow RVs. We spoke to a few Class A owners who told us that there are a few spots in the park where you can park and “hide” from the park rangers, but I don’t think I would try it. Buffalo Valley Rd., three miles off of Hwy. 87, has RV spots, so we’ll probably try going there next year.

Just to be clear, we did NOT take our coach on this trip. I wanted to, but our friends have a 1989 Alpenlite 5th wheel and a 2023 Dodge Ram 3500, which was just involved in a bad accident, and they didn’t want to stay in the coach with us, so we hotel’d it the entire trip.

Prices, according to our friends, have increased substantially in the last few years. We paid about $200/night for our room at the Super 8 in Gardiner. One restaurant owner there told us that Covid was a major factor in the prices going up, but I imagine that foreigners play a part as well. I should have had my head examined for paying $15 for a grilled cheese sandwich in Jackson Hole.

Edited by FLynes

Done YNP twice...one in a tent and one in a MH.  We stated at a park in the NW corner in West Yellowstone.  GREAT.  We drove up from Idaho falls....really great drive.  We left via going North and crossing Montana to avoid the grades.  Stopped at Custer's Last Stand.  That was awesome.  Had our daughter and two teenage GK's with us.  

The photos below were taken from our 2008 Hummer...  We leaned out the sunroof and took them.  Buffalo was just out "wandering"....then the traffic was one lane and we passed....see the bronze car in front....and the shot from the window as we passed him....

NEVER MESS WITH THE WILDLIFE....Too many injuries and deaths.  

We toured the "Lodge" at Old Faithful and ate there.  There are ranger walks everywhere.  One of the most interesting were the pools around Old Faithful.  The "Grand Canyon" of the north of the falls at Yellowstone are awesome.  We spent at least 5 days inside the park....as well as take a day trip down to the Tetons.  If you every want to "see" amber waves of grain....  the trip down from West Jefferson when you go in the back way...STEEP GRADE to Jackson (Hole) is truly inspiring.  I take a LOT of photographs...but I never even tried to catch the majesty of the grain fields and the grain gently swaying back and forth.  Something that Google or Apple could do for a slow motion video from a drone....

Enjoy....a trip worth taking....  FWIW....the first Yellowstone trip was in the early summer....and the fire season had hit Rocky Mountain NP and we left early and headed to YS.  The second was in Early August, 2015.  If you are a "geo" whatever buff, we drove over to Idaho from Salt Lake city and spent the night near Craters of the Moon....and then drove up.  There is a "restricted area there that rivals a few of the NE states combined.  Busses with blacked out windows carrying in workers to secret operations....and the GPS didn't exactly work....We replenished our supplies in Idaho Falls.  That Walmart was one more big FREE RV Site.  I have never seen that many RV's at a Walmart before....

100_1400.JPG

DSC01083.JPG

DSC01093.JPG

39 minutes ago, FLynes said:

I should have had my head examined for paying $15 for a grilled cheese sandwich in Jackson Hole.

or brought your own cheese & bread . . . . "Hey, can you heat this up for me?"

- b

• Haha 1

I didn't stay in the park but drove through, lots of Bison and wild horses.  Very nice park.  The northern park had very nice scenery and hardly any people. 

There was a lone coyote in the road yesterday and traffic was stopped as people were taking pictures.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

To stay with bison I would go to Theodore Roosevelt park, we had dozens visiting us every day. After that I find it funny when traffic stops to watch one bison somewhere. 

20231009_135028.jpg

YES... Teddy's place.  We did that twice.  Here are some shots...did not have a wide enough zoom.  This was late afternoon when we drove in and did turned RIGHT on the loop and drove CCW around it to the entrance...

DSC00768.JPG

DSC00757.JPG

DSC00759.JPG

DSC00761.JPG

DSC00763.JPG

I enjoyed the park but it was crowded and what make it worse was they were working on the loop meaning you could drive clockwise about 75% of the loop and then have to turn around and come back, making the traffic even worse.  

I read a recent article about people wanting to relocate the wild horses from Roosevelt NP.  I guess they don't consider them native but they've been there a long time.  https://apnews.com/article/north-dakota-national-park-wild-horses-a52558ff00a6694bca0eae81904cf060

The northern portion of the park was far enough away to not attract a lot of people.  I dropped my Jeep at the entrance to drive the park, glad I did as they were doing a bunch of construction and the road was terrible.  So I drove through in the Jeep which worked out fine.  

Another one marked off the Bucket List. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

Haha, same hill, similar view

20220804_132704 (1).jpg

AH YES....I do RECOGNIZE the Hood.  Mine was the special H3X Burgandy.  That was the most buffalo we have ever seen and we have been to the South Dakota state park that is near Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse and also most of the western NP. I think we have been to over 30 NP.  Looking out over the Badlands from the back of the TRNP Badlands was one of the OMG views of all time.  Second only to driving into Devil's tower and watching it turn into a BIG ROCK from a pebble on the horizon...

I guess that is where the Bison hang out....  Lots of wild horses in TRNP.  One of our favorites....TWICE...

10 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

I enjoyed the park but it was crowded and what make it worse was they were working on the loop meaning you could drive clockwise about 75% of the loop and then have to turn around and come back, making the traffic even worse.  

I read a recent article about people wanting to relocate the wild horses from Roosevelt NP.  I guess they don't consider them native but they've been there a long time.  https://apnews.com/article/north-dakota-national-park-wild-horses-a52558ff00a6694bca0eae81904cf060

The northern portion of the park was far enough away to not attract a lot of people.  I dropped my Jeep at the entrance to drive the park, glad I did as they were doing a bunch of construction and the road was terrible.  So I drove through in the Jeep which worked out fine.  

Another one marked off the Bucket List. 

Jim, were you by any chance fly fishing? I saw a Cherokee with Tennessee plates and a guy fly fishing in the northern part, on the way to Cooke City.