Air Pressure Gauges are weather specific.

Good evening everyone! It's been awhile since I've been on. With me turning 80 next year, we decided maybe we should consider "settling down". With that in mind we purchased a regular sticks and bricks home in the Mount Rushmore State. With the home being 120 years old, it was in need of some modern fix up stuff. So, that's what I've been working on the past year and some months. After spending a not so pleasant, (read colder than a witche's bosom) we've decided we need to be snowbirds. When I bought the house, we put our coach in a climate controlled storage garage at a friend's house. So, we decided to head to Arizona for the winter. I put new tires on and even changed out all the air bags, (one failed), had the rig serviced and ready to roll. However, I discovered some issues I'm hoping someone on here can help me with. First off three of my gauges have decided they're irritated with me for abandoning them for so long. This is the oil pressure gauge and both the air pressure gauges. The oil pressure simply stays put and doesn't move. Since I have the digital display via the outdated Aladdin system this doesn't bother me too much. The air gauges will not register until the ambient temperature rises. When it's 40 degrees or below the simply sit on zero. Once it warms up the function perfectly. Since we are now in Arizona where it's warm, both gauges work as they are supposed to. However, I don't like things that are supposed to work and do not. So I'm looking for advise on how I might go about fixing these things. My research so far indicates the gauges are no longer manufactured nor are they available anywhere. I tried Northwest Supply in Oregon, no joy. I assume all these gauges are electrical. I haven't yet dissected the dash to find out. I'm hoping someone has had a similar experience and can help with a solution or direct me to where I might get the help I need. Thanks for listening and your support....Dennis

My coach is a 2005 Monaco Executive 45PBQ.

• Like 1

I believe the air gauges are pneumatic, not electrical. 

Just a far fetched thought . . . .

Is it possible there's moisture in the air gauge line that freezes?  It would probably need to get into the 20's to freeze on the coach.  How far below 40F does it get?  If there is moisture (or some sort of blockage) I might try pulling the lines off and letting them purge out. 

Oh, and welcome back! 🖐️

- bob

Edited by cbr046
  • Like 1

The gauges are indeed electric and use stepper motors to move the needle. All of the gauges use this technology. I was fortunate that NWRV had one of my gauges to replace a problematic one.  Recently Frank on here has repaired some successfully and I’m sure he will chime in

Guest Ray Davis

Welcome back and welcome to the octogenarian club.  So far it ain't bad.   LOL

IIRCC some coaches do use pneumatic/actual air lines to each gauge.  Tom or Frank will probably chime in when they wake up.  LOL

I have a 2005 Exec also, with this problem.  I hope to be working on it this weekend.  Here is a post worth reading from Dec 31, 2022.  Skip through to the YouTube video, and read on from there.  I have ordered the Capacitors that Paul Whittle ordered that fixed his problem.  I trust the link that Paul gives, more than the link in the video, because I know Paul.  

These are Faria Gauges.  As Steven A (Chargerman) posted, these are indeed electronic gauges.  They are driven from an interface module (behind the dash) which decodes the ECU parameters for most of the gauges, but has pressure transducers for the Air Pressure gauges.  .  They do employ stepper motors, but that doesn't seem to fail as often as the capacitors.  Plus the capacitors are cheaper and easier (for those who have worked with surface mount PCB technology) to replace.  

My capacitors are scheduled to arrive today (Friday) or tomorrow.  I will try and document what I find, but Phil (and the YouTube video) already have done a great job.

-Rick N.

On 10/20/2023 at 12:01 PM, waterskier_1 said:

I have a 2005 Exec also, with this problem.  I hope to be working on it this weekend.  Here is a post worth reading from Dec 31, 2022.  Skip through to the YouTube video, and read on from there.  I have ordered the Capacitors that Paul Whittle ordered that fixed his problem.  I trust the link that Paul gives, more than the link in the video, because I know Paul.  

These are Faria Gauges.  As Steven A (Chargerman) posted, these are indeed electronic gauges.  They are driven from an interface module (behind the dash) which decodes the ECU parameters for most of the gauges, but has pressure transducers for the Air Pressure gauges.  .  They do employ stepper motors, but that doesn't seem to fail as often as the capacitors.  Plus the capacitors are cheaper and easier (for those who have worked with surface mount PCB technology) to replace.  

My capacitors are scheduled to arrive today (Friday) or tomorrow.  I will try and document what I find, but Phil (and the YouTube video) already have done a great job.

-Rick N.

Question for you as an "interested third party".  Do the Faria gauges have replaceable transducers or are the transducers part of the main board or "brain" that sends out multiplexed, I think, signals to each of the various gauges.  The ACTI are that way and are the DEVIL to fix....or more correctly, I don't think one could sell their soul to the guy in the red suit and negotiate a deal...  LOL

Thanks...

Hopefully this will work out and we all learn...

1 hour ago, Tom Cherry said:

Question for you as an "interested third party".  Do the Faria gauges have replaceable transducers or are the transducers part of the main board or "brain" that sends out multiplexed, I think, signals to each of the various gauges.  The ACTI are that way and are the DEVIL to fix....or more correctly, I don't think one could sell their soul to the guy in the red suit and negotiate a deal...  LOL

Thanks...

Hopefully this will work out and we all learn...

Tom, I don't know about replacing the transducers.  I haven't read about anyone needing to do that.  Yes, these are multiplexed on a buss.  Each gauge appears to a an Application Specific microprocessor within the "gauge" itself.  That apparently decode the stream on the buss, and then does what it needs to to drive the steeper motor which in turn moves the needle.  If you watch the YouTube video I posted above, the tech explains some of that.  I think if something goes bad on the main board, you are screwed, unless someone like Paul or maybe  M&M could repair it.  

- Rick N 

13 minutes ago, waterskier_1 said:

Tom, I don't know about replacing the transducers.  I haven't read about anyone needing to do that.  Yes, these are multiplexed on a buss.  Each gauge appears to a an Application Specific microprocessor within the "gauge" itself.  That apparently decode the stream on the buss, and then does what it needs to to drive the steeper motor which in turn moves the needle.  If you watch the YouTube video I posted above, the tech explains some of that.  I think if something goes bad on the main board, you are screwed, unless someone like Paul or maybe  M&M could repair it.  

- Rick N 

Way past the elementary skills that M&M have….and let it go at that.

The question, if you have an opportunity to look.  On some systems, like the Medallion, the pressure transducers are standalone’s….as in they have wires or a signal lead from them to the brain.  The ACTI has the pressure transducers mounted directly on the main brain PCB.  No known repair or replacement.  ACTI “used” to fix these.  They don’t have any more boards nor can get them….the original PCB supplier retooled.

My point or question was two fold.  Are the Fari transducers mounted or located remotely from the rest.  Easy to see….where the air lines terminate.  The second was then….if so, then a bad or cold connection in the pigtail from a standalone transducer could be “heat” sensitive.  Cold morning…..no connection or high resistance.  Later as the board gets warmer, then the connection improves and all is well.

On the Faria systems, the air lines terminate at the Faria Gateway. The Gateway also has other sensors/transducers as well as an interface to the J1939 bus. On our 2005 Signature, the Faria Gateway is mounted on the ceiling of the first or second bay on the Driver's side.

Faria Gateway GW0015A - Northwest RV Supply (nwrvsupply.com)

Paul

5 minutes ago, pwhittle said:

On the Faria systems, the air lines terminate at the Faria Gateway. The Gateway also has other sensors/transducers as well as an interface to the J1939 bus. On our 2005 Signature, the Faria Gateway is mounted on the ceiling of the first or second bay on the Driver's side.

Paul

Thank for the clarification.  Looks like the transducers are part of the brain.  I’ll still stay with a temperature dependent signal….and your expertise as to which components.  Interesting that they mounted it so far back, but what do I know.  

Based on other out of production electronics, these will be close to 4 figures in a few years…..

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I'm still researching. A bit of this is over my head. I like mechanical stuff. This electronic stuff is for much younger folks. Either that, or maybe I just haven't kept up. Regardless, I'll do some further research before shelling out 400 plus bucks. I appreciate the input...Dennis

22 hours ago, pwhittle said:

Paul

Paul, is there a way to 'check' the Gateway to see if the issue is there? Sorry if that's a dumb question but inquiring minds want to know...thanks...Dennis

On 10/26/2023 at 6:17 PM, Georgia Mike said:

Dennis, congrats on almost turning 80! I hope I’m still able to drive my rig when I’m 80. Btw you don’t look 80 in your picture for sure more like 60.

Ok, I changed my profile pic to one taken two weeks ago. 🙂

On 10/26/2023 at 7:17 PM, Georgia Mike said:

Dennis, congrats on almost turning 80! I hope I’m still able to drive my rig when I’m 80. Btw you don’t look 80 in your picture for sure more like 60.

I have a friend who's 81.  Yesterday he came in 12th place in a field of 28 AGAINST 65 YEAR OLDS riding his Yamaha dirt bike in a National Enduro. 

- bob

• 3 weeks later...

Dennis, I am late replying.  Life got in the way.  I tried the capacitors, and it was still a no-go.  Even though replacing those seems to fix a lot of the problems, it didn't mine.  So I ordered the stepper motor.  It came in yesterday, and I unsoldered the old one, and soldered in the new one.  I think this was easier, likely because I have a whole lot more experience replacing "through the hole" components than I do surface mount.  The surface mount capacitors where difficult to hold in position (they liked move when I touched them with my soldering iron).  The stepper-motor was a bit of a challenge, but nothing I haven't done before, because you have to get four through the board leads unsoldered and cleaned enough to simultaneously pull through the holes remove the motor.  My solder sucker worked well for this.  Soldering in the new stepper motor was easy.  

I just tested it and it works!  Yay, one more item of the check list.  

I want to thank Paul Whittle for his phone assistance and encouragement.  He also repairs these, along with other electronics that are no longer available.  You might talk with him if you don't feel up to the task.  I was planning on shipping my gauge to him tomorrow if my repairs didn't work.  

-Rick N.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, waterskier_1 said:

I want to thank Paul Whittle for his phone assistance and encouragement.  He also repairs these, along with other electronics that are no longer available.  You might talk with him if you don't feel up to the task.  I was planning on shipping my gauge to him tomorrow if my repairs didn't work.  

-Rick N.

Thanks Rick. I'm all thumbs with a soldering weapon. That said, Paul Whittle has my gauges and I'm waiting to hear from him as far as a successful solution....I appreciate your input....Dennis