How to calibrate bubble level on 2000 DPT 40 MANUAL level system.

Good Morning All.  As mentioned in the topic, I have a 2000 diplomat.  Leveling system is manual and the bubble is significantly off when floor/counters are level (by 4' carpenter's level).  I have removed the bubble assy and can find nothing that appears to be adjustable.  From this point is shimming the best alternative?  If so, do I shim the bubble assy, or the carbon fiber plate onto which it is fastened?  I do loathe to mess with the carbon fibre as it is beginning to crack around the screw holes.

Thanks for the prompt reply!  I couldn't find anything online and kinda thought that this would be the case.  We don't move around a lot, having found that it's less expensive to camp than to drive.  I find that setup (and adjustments for settling) with my 2' level is pretty simple.  Mostly I level the kitchen countertop and it works well enough for the rest of the coach.

Have a great Holiday!!

• Like 1

I never liked using the round bubble.

I use something like this, except mine are flat on the bottom edge.  https://www.amazon.com/Graduated-Scale-Level-Stick-Bubble/dp/B004LZ7DY6/  Maybe you can find what I'm thinking in the camping isle of Walmart.  I like the graduated numbers for a reference, but in reality any mini level will do. 

Here we go - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hopkins-Towing-Solutions-08525-Graduated-RV-Levels-2-Pack/191956106

Mine travel loose in the space between the shifter and the wall.  When I arrive one goes on the window frame (mostly level front to back) and the other on the radio (mostly level left to right).  I get leveling close then sit them on the counter top for fine tuning, F->B, L->R.  Finally I open the bathroom door to see it doesn't move from any open position.  After leveling they go back to their dash home. 

Actually, one rests on the switches below the shifter on top of little papers that say "power", "jacks", "antenna", etc.  When the power cord is put away, the antenna is down, the jacks are up that paper gets put away, etc. and the "D" is clear.  These are my checklists before I put the transmission in gear. 

- bob

I gave up on the bubble a long time ago, as the only part of the coach i wanted level was the fridge. So i used to use a small 3in level an  when i got to where i wanted to be i opened the freezer, turn it front to back then Left to Right.

Last year for a black friday gift to myself i bought a level pro plus, now i pull in turn the unit on, open the app on my phone an adjust level from the driver seat… DONE!

Great ideas, guys.  Thanks for the great advice! 

I used the little bubble levels on a Class C years ago and have a 6" that I put in the icemaker section of the freezer - just to be sure it's level as well.  I kinda like the idea of the level pro, but don't really move too often.  Hmmmm, maybe a Christmas gift from Ol' Dave to Ol' Dave . . . 

Presently in sand lands of coastal NC on a gravel site (monthly) and find myself checking the level every other day.  Makes for a trip or two from level switches to level on countertop while coffee's brewing but what else am I gonna do before coffee?

Ol' Dave

The Bus 8.jpg

27 minutes ago, Rikadoo said:

Last year for a black friday gift to myself i bought a level pro plus, now i pull in turn the unit on, open the app on my phone an adjust level from the driver seat… DONE!

If it's an app you want I use this all the time - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chrystianvieyra.physicstoolboxsuite

Best of all it's FREE and loaded with measurements.  g-force, accelerometer, compass, magnetic field strength, azimuth pitch & roll (can use for leveling), GPS satellite location & strength, tone detector, oscilloscope, spectrum analyzer, barometric pressure . . . . and a lot more!  I use it to align my satellite dish.  Con is no remote sensor, but is that worth $111 for a Level Pro Plus?

- bob

If it's the same as the one in our Dynasty you can loosen the bolt that holds the level to the bracket and wobble the level around to get it sync'd up with the world.

Myself, I use a bubble level on my phone that I lay on the center console or on the floor of the bus.

The Hoppy levels linked above made me laugh, I see trailers and motorhomes in campgrounds all the time that are obviously WAY off level and I have to wonder what they're leveling from?  One in particular was parked across from us, had the Hoppy style levels on the front and side if one corner where I could see them from the road. Both the level bubbles were dead on yet the trailer was crazily unlevel. maybe we didn't realize the trailer needed to be leveled before installing the levels? 

I have tried a variety of thing from the bubble level you reference to digital level on my smart phone, to level mate pro (a sizable expense for leveling). The most sensitive thing in your coach , when it comes to level is the refrigerator. I now use the bubble level for general leveling and then a magnetic bullet level on the front and side of the fridge to double check and fine tone as needed. If you have a Norcold or other RV fridge that does not give you easy access to a flat steel surface just use the bullet level to check for level on the face and door edge of the fridge door. If you are a person that does not like to leave the level controls during the leveling process you can have someone you are traveling with read the level and give you guidance. Leveling does not need to be exact. Owners manual says with in 6 degrees although I find that can still be a bit uncomfortable for some, especially for those with balance issues. As long as the bubble is inside the markers you are safe.

I marvel at all the suggestions and technology used and suggested. 
I have a small bubble levels attacked to the each of the front and side of the tv cabinet. It gives me an instantaneous display of the levelness (or not) of the site. It is actually quite accurate to use prior and during leveling. 
For final level check and adjustment we use a very sophisticated tool that works very well and it is very easy to store - a golf ball is what we use by placing it on the floor.  

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Martinvz said:

For final level check and adjustment we use a very sophisticated tool that works very well and it is very easy to store - a golf ball is what we use by placing it on the floor.  

I like the simplicity of that. Also understand a need for some indicator with manual leveling but I just use the swinging bathroom door to fine tune ours, after autoleveling is done and I may have doubts.

• Like 2

Get to a truly flat spot.  My storage yard has a flat pad.  Test it with some water.  It shouldnt run fas and only slowlyy

Then get  $35 laser level from hime depot.  Put it in the floor, shoot it both back to from and feont to back.  There two lines in the level. Verticle and horizontal.  

The verticle line will seperate if you are tilted, it will show tilt where you put the level, not where it lights up a wall.  

Horizontal (measure from the floor, adjust for any carpet.  You can adjust the coach to be totally level isomg tje manual adjustments in your leveling system.  

Once completley level, then comduct the level system bubble reset process according to its manual.

17 hours ago, Martinvz said:

I've seen more than one mention, and it does work in our bus as well, just open the bathroom door 1/2 way, let go of it and see which way it swings.

I see someone mentioned 6 degrees??  6 degrees is a LOT, more than enough that you will definitely feel, although as I mentioned above, I see a lot of rigs in campgrounds that I wonder how the occupants are standing up??

Edited by Tdkkart
fumble fingers

5 hours ago, Tdkkart said:

I've seen more than one mention, and it does work in our bus as well, just open the bathroom door 1/2 way, let go of it and see which way it swings.

I see someone mentioned 6 degrees??  6 degrees is a LOT, more than enough that you will definitely feel, although as I mentioned above, I see a lot of rigs in campgrounds that I wonder how the occupants are standing up??

Note: the 6% I mentioned is the max at which a Norcold will still work. I agree 6% is way beyond comfortable. Have used the bathroom door before because we have one on hinges (not a pocket door). The egg and golf ball ideas are good too!

That 6deg is front to back, as in leaning forward or backwards.

Only 3deg tilt side to side.

(All assuming your fridge is mounted with the rear against the coach sidewall. I have been in trailers with the fridge mounted against the back wall.)

Edited by 96 EVO