Tires 295/80’s or 295/75’s

Go to solution Solved by Tom Cherry,

Coach calls for 295/80’s finding out if needed on the rd could be hard to come by? Last owner installed 275/80’s can still handle my weight but not ideal because of CIP needed and mph offset. What experience have any of you had on the rd with a need for a 295/80 tire. I called around and most say they may only carry one or two for that need but could be a yr old or so. Trying to keep my circumference close to OE tires. 

Edited by tmw188
  • Like 1

I'm running Toyo 295/80s on my Windsor and love em. Yes, at highway speed the speedo reads slow, approx 5 to 7 mph, but I like how they drive and the higher weight rating. My nav GPS gives my exact speed. I didn't have a problem getting them, but then I used my old big rig tire shop. You should have better luck at a truck tire dealer.

• Like 1

My Dynasty came with Goodyear RV G670 front tires, 295/80R22.5. I replaced them with a set of Toyo tires the very same size once I git the coach back to Florida.

The rears are all Goodyear Fuel Max 11R-22.5. I have not changed those out yet but it is higher on my list.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JetAburner said:

I'm running Toyo 295/80s on my Windsor and love em. Yes, at highway speed the speedo reads slow, approx 5 to 7 mph, but I like how they drive and the higher weight rating. My nav GPS gives my exact speed. I didn't have a problem getting them, but then I used my old big rig tire shop. You should have better luck at a truck tire dealer.

Yes I am shopping the big truck centers because I feel I can get their opinion on road side replacement service for that size if needed.    You shouldn’t get a incorrect mph reading running the tire size that’s OE. My reading is off because of the slightly smaller incorrect tire size. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

My Dynasty came with Goodyear RV G670 front tires, 295/80R22.5. I replaced them with a set of Toyo tires the very same size once I git the coach back to Florida.

The rears are all Goodyear Fuel Max 11R-22.5. I have not changed those out yet but it is higher on my list.

I'm going to look at 11R's when I replace the drive axle rubber.

I'll leave the steers & tags at 295/80, as I move the steers to the tag axle and run them there a few more years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tmw188 said:

Coach calls for 295/80’s finding out if needed on the rd could be hard to come by? Last owner installed 275/80’s can still handle my weight but not ideal because of CIP needed and mph offset. What experience have any of you had on the rd with a need for a 295/80 tire. I called around and most say they may only carry one or two for that need but could be a yr old or so. Trying to keep my circumference close to OE tires. 

BACK TO BASICS.

Your coach calls for 295/80R22.5.  That is what Monaco CHOSE....assuming they knew what they were doing.

The 275's are the WRONG SIZE.  YES....get the RIGHT size.

Next up.  Your REAL choice is to see how the two sizes match up.

The Front axle is 13,000 and the rear is the "STEP CHILD" one....just like mine.  23,300

Here's HOW it lays out.....

295/80's  Front needs 6,500 Pounds or GY Inflation would be 115 PSI and get you 6,490  as CLOSE as you can get

BUT....295/75's Front still needs 6,500 pounds.  You MUST USE THE Load Range H TIRES....not G. GY says....120 and you have 6,610.  EVEN if you interpolate....that would be still be 2 PSI more.  You Wheels are probably OK.... SO, make SURE you are looking at 195/75 in the LOAD RANGE H.  A LR "G" ain't big enough....it maxes out at 6,175 or 12,350.  OK....what is your front axle weight....fully loaded?  What is the MAX corner on the FRONT Axle.  Which ever is BIGGER....corner compared to corner....you set for that.  My Front (40 Ft...same axle ratings as yours) has the fuel tank up front and there ain't much "safety factor".  BUT, I can bump up to the max on one side and still be OK and will be running lower pressures.

The Rear is NOT as complicated....

295/80's need 5,750 per tire...  OK....the 100 PSI that Monaco calculated gives you 5,780.  CLOSE, just like the front.  BUT it is a LR H tire.

295.75 still needs 5,750 per tire.  OK....105 on these, but it STILL requires a LR H tire.  Bottom line....make sure you get LR H in the 295/75....and you will have to run higher, rougher riding pressures.

Most folks favor the TOYO tires...  M144.  Michelins got a bad wrap for side wall checking.  OK if you store inside a quasi condition controlled barn.  Bridgestones were the favorite alternative....probably same level of "I LIKEE" but then Michelins started to check. The NEWER Bridgestones are probably OK.  The most popular one, in say 2012 - 15 started to show a funky "OMG" wear issue.  Probably lot to lot.  Barry (Joasam's Shop Manager) said he was seeing one or two crazy failures, in 2018, per MONTH.  That is when I had one fail...and switched to Toyo.  I did RUN my rears, which were 2012's, to spring of 2022.  I had at least 18 months of NOT using.  I used it, for major trips, last in 2021.....and it was stored 10 miles from the tire dealer.  SO, instead of replacing in the fall of 2021....which would have been 9 years...and YES....that may have been pushing it....I replaced them the next spring.  

That's my take and advice.....I wouldn't downsize.  I would go with the Toyo's and even order online and get them installed locally...

Good Luck...

GOODYEAR RV Inflation.pdf

• Like 2

I just installed 275/70's on ours, replacing same size and brand (Sumitomo).  Size is what the placard said!

A /80 tire will be lower profile and handle a little better, but a 295 is a wider tire . . . .

When I air-down I can barely get my fingers between fender and tire (275/70), so be careful what you size up.

- bob

Edited by cbr046

Thank you Tom, yes I’m aware of all that and have done the comparisons. Loads and G vs H which affects the loads and  CIP. The info I’m looking for has anyone had difficulty finding 295/80’s on the rd. The couple places I called as mentioned say they don’t really keep that size for emergency rd side service. I’ve read on some threads somewhere that because that size is not so readily available, they had to buy two tires for the front when only needing the one.

37 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

My Front (40 Ft...same axle ratings as yours) has the fuel tank up front and there ain't much "safety factor".  BUT, I can bump up to the max on one side and still be OK and will be running lower pressures.

GOODYEAR RV Inflation.pdf 86.66 kB · 0 downloads

It's not advisable to run different tire pressures on the same axle!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cbr046 said:

I just installed 275/70's on ours, replacing same size and brand (Sumitomo).  Size is what the placard said!

A /80 tire will be lower profile and handle a little better, but a 295 is a wider tire . . . .

When I air-down I can barely get my fingers between fender and tire (275/70), so be careful what you size up.

- bob

He's not SIZING UP.  The PO sized the MH tires down....a LOT.  The OEM Tire was a 295/80R22.5 LR H tire.  He is considering the 295/75R22.5 which seems to be more available...  BUT, he did NOT specify the Load Range.  If he downsizes to the 295/75, he will need a LR H tire and the more popular LR G is not weight rated enough and he will have to run a few PSI more in the LR H.

Just wanted to clarify that....

7 minutes ago, cbr046 said:

- bob

The 75 or the 80 is the percentage height of the width of the tire. Multiply .75 or .80 x the width. The 80’s are taller. 

• Like 1

Just now, 96 EVO said:

It's not advisable to run different tire pressures on the same axle!

OK....what is your front axle weight....fully loaded?  What is the MAX corner on the FRONT Axle.  Which ever is BIGGER....corner compared to corner....you set for that.

The above is what I posted, Ben. I said you needed to know the front axle weights and the corner weights.  You set the Front Axle to the MAX corner weight....as in the Front tires are the same.  My point was that IF I needed, due to an out of balance load condition, to run my tires slightly higher...since I had the Load Range H, I would bump THEM up.

I didn't say to run them differently.  YES, you are correct....you keep them the same...but I NEVER said to "mismatch" the pressures.

Thanks,

• Solution
8 minutes ago, tmw188 said:

Thank you Tom, yes I’m aware of all that and have done the comparisons. Loads and G vs H which affects the loads and  CIP. The info I’m looking for has anyone had difficulty finding 295/80’s on the rd. The couple places I called as mentioned say they don’t really keep that size for emergency rd side service. I’ve read on some threads somewhere that because that size is not so readily available, they had to buy two tires for the front when only needing the one.

I was able to find TWO new Toyo's in California as well as in the Reno & Tahoe area.  Schwab had them.  We have had folks that have had to have tires replaced in all sorts of conditions. The 295/80 is WAY MORE EASY TO FIND.  NOW, if you call a Truck Stop.  NOPE....them puppies are hard to git....as in we sell OTR Truck Tires.

BUT, if you start using the web and find authorized dealers for tires, you can chase down dealers.  I have three dealers, maybe 4 in the Raleigh area that were Toyo dealers.

NOW, if you worry about replacement....then Bridgestone and Michelin would be the brand...  BUT, again, many folks have switched.  I would NOT run a different brand, even in the same size, on the rear....much less the front.  Tires are out there....Or I could be scared to drive my wife's ATS or my C7 Vette...as we have run flats and they are like "scarce as hen's teeth", but we have never had any issues.

2 hours ago, JetAburner said:

Monaco changed the tire size in 2002 to a 295/80R22.5, prior to that they had 275/70R22.5.

I've read it was to increase safety factor on load rating vs weight of coach. 

I run 295/80R22.5.  My first set of replacements (rig came with Goodyears) I opted for Bridgestone.  I was really pleased with these, rode great and after +50K miles the front still looked like new. 

In 2021 when I was checking on tire the price of Bridgestone had gone way up.  I initially wanted Toyo's but no where to be found, I ended up getting Yokohama's, which I am pleased with.  Seems to ride about the same as the Bridgestone. 

1 hour ago, Tom Cherry said:

I was able to find TWO new Toyo's in California as well as in the Reno & Tahoe area.  Schwab had them.  We have had folks that have had to have tires replaced in all sorts of conditions. The 295/80 is WAY MORE EASY TO FIND.  NOW, if you call a Truck Stop.  NOPE....them puppies are hard to git....as in we sell OTR Truck Tires.

BUT, if you start using the web and find authorized dealers for tires, you can chase down dealers.  I have three dealers, maybe 4 in the Raleigh area that were Toyo dealers.

NOW, if you worry about replacement....then Bridgestone and Michelin would be the brand...  BUT, again, many folks have switched.  I would NOT run a different brand, even in the same size, on the rear....much less the front.  Tires are out there....Or I could be scared to drive my wife's ATS or my C7 Vette...as we have run flats and they are like "scarce as hen's teeth", but we have never had any issues.

Yes, that’s it. Just wanting to get a feel for what might I might encounter so that’s why I called around to some local very large tire shops that do roadside. They trying to steer me away from the 295/80 because of THEIR availability. I didn’t like the smaller option at all. So it would be best because of this obstacle to just source it yourself and go from there.

• Like 1

Thanks Dennis, that’s the real life experience I was looking for with the post. One day sitting on the side of the highway is not good. A tow wouldn’t be out of the question if it came to that. I decided I’m not going to let that weigh in on my decision. I would bet those that had to settle for what a tire shop could bring out to them didn't want to do a tow off the highway🤷

Here is a great interactive tire calculator to play with. Shows std specs and has overlay options.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=275-80r22.5-295-75r22.5

Edited by tmw188
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, tmw188 said:

Thanks Dennis, that’s the real life experience I was looking for with the post. One day sitting on the side of the highway is not good. A tow wouldn’t be out of the question if it came to that. I decided I’m not let that weigh in on my decision. I would bet those that had to settle for what a tire shop could bring out to them didn't want to do a tow off the highway🤷

Here is a great interactive tire calculator to play with. Shows std specs and has overlay options.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=275-80r22.5-295-75r22.5

I hit something (don’t know where or when) and put a small crack in the tire. I noticed it while doing a walk around at a fuel stop. We found an RV park nearby and located a tire dealer a few miles away. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dennis.mcdonaugh said:

I hit something (don’t know where or when) and put a small crack in the tire. I noticed it while doing a walk around at a fuel stop. We found an RV park nearby and located a tire dealer a few miles away. 

been there....done that.  The CRACK and the "Dealer's" gut feel, in my case, was somewhat subjective. I THINK mine was the result of a "Minor Curbing" as it was on the outer rib and extended towards the middle or the tread, as well as down into the outer edge of the outer rib.  It was deep enough that it was below the level of the Tread Breakers and the dealer thought it might have been, without a surgical inspection, into the cord.  A Garbage Truck would never have had it looked at...if you get my drift.

BUT, I did purchase a new tire....  BTW...FWIW...  I had the OLD Bridgestones on and put on the NEWER model....it wore like IRON.  BUT, I was disallusioned with the front Bridgestone that failed, MISERABLY and QUICKLY, in 2018 and WENT with TOYO's.  I SHOULD have, if $$ were tight..  Moved the LEFT FRONT to the Right Rear.  That would have put the NEWER (different model, but the same as the originals) on the Right Front.  THEN bought a NEW Bridgestone for the RIGHT FRONT....where the one had failed.  BUT, I decided on NEW Toyo's on the front.  The Front's were 6 plus years old....so I erred on the conservative side...

• Like 1

On 11/27/2023 at 10:01 AM, tmw188 said:

Please, what is "CIP" in this context?