Control Arm Bushings

I  took the coach up to Freightliner in Kingman for an alignment today. After an inspection, the tech came out and said the lower control arm bushings for the drive and tag axle were bad. That was causing the pull to the right. They had no idea where to get bushings for a coach this old.  I find that hard to believe. I talked to my local mechanic to see if he would replace them. He wants to inspect it, as I'm the 4th person to get that report from Freightliner. When he checked the first three, the bushings were still ok, but worn a bit. He's checking mine tomorrow to verify. In the event, they need replacing, where can I go to get bushings or possibly rebuilt control arms for our 2006 Executive?    

Edited by Venturer

ATRO MO10000 bushings

Review this post carefully.  It has some good pictures.  https://www.irv2.com/forums/f24/2007-45-s-series-chassis-welds-cracked-at-the-axle-483026.html

You should also be looking at the main drive axle support H beam system. Several large Monaco coaches have had cracks in these steel beams.
A 2005 Signature: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/bro...rs-538912.html
Another failure: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/our...me-393124.html
Make sure someone you trust crawls under there with a good light and inspects for cracks!

• Like 3

Good news so far. None of the control arm bushings are bad. Two bushings were to the side of their mount position but centered on the bolt. He's going to swap the front tires to see if corrects the pull to the right. If not, I'll have him double check for cracks. If nothing is found, I'm guessing a four-wheel alignment is next.  I was under it for a bit and it looked pretty clean for a 17-year-old coach with 70,000 miles. 

I would consider it, however, the current tires are just 2 years old with less the 2,000 miles on them. I suspect the 315's would need a wider wheel than what is on it now with the 295's. I was a little surprised it only has a 15,200# axle rating. Haven't had it to a scale yet, but I'm sure the coach is heavier than our 43' Allegro Bus was and it had the 15,680# front axle. 

The 2009 model "S" series chassis coaches came with a 315 tire.  

Wheel width for the 315 tire is slightly controversial.  The original 315 tire specifications allowed mounting on an 8.25" wide wheel.  But the guidance was revised a few years ago and now only shows the 9" wide wheel.  The tire didn't change.   But, for full load carrying capability it does require a 22.5 x 9" wheel. 

5 hours ago, vito.a said:

You should consider upgrading the front tires to 315/80R-22.5 size.  Monaco factory installed 315 tires on the newer coaches.  The advantage is you can run less air pressure at the same weight and the ride is smoother.  

The tires, per the online sales brochures were all the same size - 295/80R22.5 in 2008.  In 2009, the fronts were listed as 315/80-22.5.  We have had many folks that upgraded their tires...I know for example that David Pratt did that on his 2005 Executive. However, some have reported rubbing....can't recall which models...and it was RARE.  The sage advice....TRUST but VERIFY as in measure at different heights, high and low and middle, the clearance as you rotate the tires.  Then do some looking and download the specs on each tire and compare the dimension (inflated of course) before you upgrade. 

• Like 1

Continental allows the 315 tire on a 8.25 wheel. I have Conti Coach HA 3 315 80 22.5 on my front axle, on 8.25 wheels. A 315 is a very robust tire. You can buy Continentals through the FMCA tire program. Do some research and measuring to make sure the 315's will fit with your chassis. Good luck, Mike.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just took our maiden voyage in the coach. After adjusting the tag regulator to 40 psi, with full fuel and two adults up front and 1/2 full fresh water tank, the weights were:

Steer--------13480

Drive--------20240

Tag----------7340

We will add more weight to the back, but very pleased with the distribution. I can lower the steer to 110 psi, drive to 95 and the tag to 80 psi. The ride was good at 120, 100, and 90, so should be better at the adjusted pressures. 315's are still a consideration if the 8 1/4" wheel works, but will see how it goes  

Edited by Venturer

On 12/7/2023 at 12:12 PM, Venturer said:

I would consider it, however, the current tires are just 2 years old with less the 2,000 miles on them. I suspect the 315's would need a wider wheel than what is on it now with the 295's. I was a little surprised it only has a 15,200# axle rating. Haven't had it to a scale yet, but I'm sure the coach is heavier than our 43' Allegro Bus was and it had the 15,680# front axle. 

I'm surprised a 15,200 GAWR would leave the factory with 295/80's!

Guess they would need 120psi or more, if the axle is close to fully loaded!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

I'm surprised a 15,200 GAWR would leave the factory with 295/80's!

Guess they would need 120psi or more, if the axle is close to fully loaded!

I suspect the manufacturer looks at what can do the job and COST. They will carry 15,660 which makes it ok in their mind.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Venturer said:

Just took our maiden voyage in the coach. After adjusting the tag regulator to 40 psi, with full fuel and two adults up front and 1/2 full fresh water tank, the weights were:

Steer--------13480

Drive--------20240

Tag----------7340

We will add more weight to the back, but very pleased with the distribution. I can lower the steer to 110 psi, drive to 95 and the tag to 80 psi. The ride was good at 120, 100, and 90, so should be better at the adjusted pressures. 315's are still a consideration if the 8 1/4" wheel works, but will see how it goes  

I believe your drive axle is rated for 20,000 lbs.  If that's the case, I would add about 2-4 more PSI to the tag.  This should bring your drive axle below 20,000 lbs.  Yes it will add a little to the Steer axle but you have extra capacity on the steer.  I think your steer rating is 15,160 lbs and your tag is 10,000 lbs.  A light steer axle will also cause the coach to wonder on the highway.

No, the drive axle is rated for 23,000#. I drove it close to 400 miles at these weights and it seemed fine. I do notice that side wind and semis passing affect this coach considerably more than our Allegro Bus. Not sure why as they were both the same length, however, the Bus had IFS instead of the I-beam front axle. It had 15,660#, 23,000#, and 13,000# axles and weighed 41,000# fully loaded with 14,800# on the steer. 

Edited by Venturer
  • Like 1