Paint Match

Go to solution Solved by RNMCBR,

I used a Duplicolor paint match that was supposed to match but didn't.  So if you get a paint code be sure to test it first.  Plus there might be fading from age / Sun.

Maybe an automotive paint supplier has swatches?

- bob

• Like 1

Back ~10 years ago I contacted Monaco tech support and they sent me the paint codes.  Since then I've had paint mixed 4 times by 3 different vendors and they all matched very closely.  Original paint was BASF Diamont so I go to stores that have that.  

If you don't have paint codes you can take the fridge or water heater cover off and see if they can match to that.  If it's just touch up it will probably work fine.  y

Larger areas where clear coat is needed is another story, hard to blend old and new clear coat.  I've had good luck doing a larger area where I can stop at a color change. 

• Like 2

The color on your coach has probably faded some... I called around different NAPA auto parts stores and found one that did computer color matching with a portable "gun".  They did all four of my colors.  There was no obvious difference in the old and the new.

Note:  This isn't like the touch up paint for your car from an Auto dealer.  It's lacquer in essence, sort of the raw material for a paint shop to use to repaint or touch up.  It has to be mixed with a hardener, purchased separately, before being applied.  And then a clear coat has to be applied. 

Yeh, I know, not the touch up in a bottle... but a good auto paint shop may be able to suggest a workable alternative.  

• Like 1

I don't know where you live and what automotive paint suppliers are around you but I go to a chain called English Color in TX. They sell and mix BASF Diamont paint that Monaco used. My paint codes came out perfectly. There is a minimum they can mix, I think it is a pint but they can put it into spray cans or even the little pain brush bottles for touch up. It is a base paint that needs to be covered by clear coat.  I have mostly bought quarts and gallons for my shop but I know they do it for small orders. A little trick for really small touch up, like rock chips, you can tint the clear with base and fill the chips that way, with those little paint pens, those with the tiny tube. 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, jacwjames said:

Back ~10 years ago I contacted Monaco tech support and they sent me the paint codes.  Since then I've had paint mixed 4 times by 3 different vendors and they all matched very closely.  Original paint was BASF Diamont so I go to stores that have that.  

If you don't have paint codes you can take the fridge or water heater cover off and see if they can match to that.  If it's just touch up it will probably work fine.  y

Larger areas where clear coat is needed is another story, hard to blend old and new clear coat.  I've had good luck doing a larger area where I can stop at a color change. 

Agreed.  Back when we first purchased our coach in 2007 it had two damaged compartment doors and I had to repaint the front cap after removing the failed 3M clear protective material.  I contacted Monaco directly and with the VIN# they were able to get me the mixing codes for the Diamont B/C paint, which was a perfect match.

Fast forward several years later and I needed to paint the eyebrow, bedroom slide and area just ahead of the bedroom slide and wanted to use PPG paint instead of BASF's Diamont.  Mainly because it was what I was more familiar with and because my local paint supply store carried PPG and not BASF.  I had my local paint supply store come out and use their digital scanner to scan the paint.  They were able to get the correct mixture for PPG paint and the job went smooth as could be.  It looked great until I finally had the entire coach repainted 7 years ago.  

3 minutes ago, zmotorsports said:

It looked great until I finally had the entire coach repainted 7 years ago.  

Ahhh, I forgot you had done that.  One of the reasons your rig looks great, besides the fact that you take meticulous care of it. 

Ivan mentioned English Color, that is one of the paint stores I use.  Had to go there to get the same clear coat I had been using. It was actually quite a bit cheaper then what I could buy it from on line.  But to get there I have to drive ~50 miles through Knoxville TN which is never fun.  The other store is ~30 miles east but on interstate, small mom and pop store. 

57 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

Ahhh, I forgot you had done that.  One of the reasons your rig looks great, besides the fact that you take meticulous care of it. 

Thanks Jim.  Yeah, the finish on our Dynasty is not OEM.  I try to maintain it as best I can and am quite anal about it.   It looked ok for a 14-year-old coach when we dropped it off in 2017 for a complete repaint, but looks even better now for a 22-year old coach.  Another reason I can't bring myself to look for something else at this time.

Space Age paint in Phoenix can also mix the Diamont to Monaco codes and put it in spray cans or touch up bottles. I have bought a gallon+ of each color and every batch was a near perfect match. They also told me they could ship. 

• Solution

I don’t think so. So far I have sprayed 1/2 of my previous coach, both end caps of my present one and several fenders, hoods and bumpers on cars. I’m no expert for sure, but I was told by a painter that 2-stage automotive paints are easier. If the base coat doesn’t look right, respray it. If the clear has dust or runs, color sand and polish it or recoat. The paint is hazardous but I use a hobbyair positive flow respirator, tyvek suit and gloves and figure i’m reasonably well protected. I’ve sprayed everything outside after meticulous cleaning, etc and have gotten good results. It is very satisfying to see the end result and realize how much I saved. My results are certainly not show car quality but easily as good as OEM on my coach.  
Now that you can easily get custom base colors mixed and put in spray cans, and catalyzed clear in spray cans it is easy to do spot repairs. But like others say, the preparation is the most important step. I follow the advice from the paint store and on the tech reference sheets meticulously and have not had any problems. 
So, my advice is do it unless you just don’t want to bother or don’t mind paying a pro to do it. 
good luck

Roy

• Like 1

Obtaining the paint formulas for a Monaco coach is a two step process.  First is to get the paint codes for your particular coach. Those codes could be in one of several places. They could be on the build sheet in the owner’s folder, on the driver’s seat pedestal, or on the back of a cabinet door.

Once you have the codes, email them to Industrial Finishes and they will email back the formulas to you. With the formulas in hand, you can have your local automotive paint store mix the paint for you.
(Give Industrial Finishes a call first. 800.531.1305)

https://industrialfinishes.com