Alladin Tank Level Sensors

Venturer
Go to solution Solved by Venturer,

The tank levels indicated on the Alladin system and in the wet bay have not been correct. I went into the program and set the calibration for the grey and black tanks using the data supplied in the OM for empty. I did the same for the fresh tank when it was full using the full raw data. Afterwards, all three tanks displayed the correct amount. A day later, the fresh read 92% when it was still full, and today, it read 75%. The Grey and black remain at empty. Is this an indication the sensors are bad? 

Those sensors if like mine are made by catcon and were available last I knew. I replaced the black and it worked for a while. I think solids aggravate it. You can take them out and clean them and it may or may not help for a time.I replaced the black sensor and it worked for a short while. Now it read 0% all the time.

The grey and fresh work fine for me. I did install the Seelevel sensors with the blue tooth sender to my phone . On mine was very easy to do and work very well. They are affected some by how level the coach is but that is not a big issue.it is nice not to have to fire up the alladin when I want to check tank levels.

Edited by Jetjockey
Addit

I got tired of cleaning mine and still had reliability issues and was going to replace the sensors but after seeing the prices for the sensors I decided to buy a Seelevel system for just a bit more money. I have been happy with their systems accuracy and reliability. Easy install too

• Like 2

I'm thinking the Seelevel system might be my best option too. That's what we have had in previous coaches and it was reliable. Where did you mount the monitor panel? The simplest would be to put it in the wet bay, however, that wouldn't be as convenient. I'm not sure where to bring the wires up to a panel.    

I bought the Bluetooth version. It comes with a display and also sends to Bluetooth app on phone or other device.I put the display in wet bay and just leave it there. I always check my phone or iPad. Works seamlessly and reliably. Getting wiring to the dash is far but may be the easiest and most accessible if you want to hard wire it. I like  the Bluetooth because I can access it at the picnic table or anywhere near the motorhome. I have yet to determine if there is a common raceway to get inside the motorhome. To my overhead control cabinet everything seems to come down from ceiling.

When you calibrate the Aladdin sensors you really need to enter both the empty and full values and then save.  This involves emptying and then filling the tank.  And these values will change each time the sensor is changed.

You can also fill the tank to 1/2 and then adjust the calibration so it reads 1/2.  But this takes several trial and error sessions. 

But the sensors do go bad overtime, especially the black.   

Edited by vito.a

18 minutes ago, vito.a said:

I might try resetting at both full and empty, but the reliability of the system seems to be iffy at best. I like the Bluetooth version of the Seelevel system leaving the monitor in the wet bay. Who has the best deal on it?

• 2 weeks later...

The sensors on the Dynasty we purchased two years ago were totally useless. Removed them and cleaned they well. Reinstalled the sensors and re-calibrated them.

They were STILL totally useless. Chose not to waste more time, energy or money and purchased the SeeLevel System which I had done on my previous Windsor.

No more frustrations!

Edited by Dr4Film
  • Like 1

We had similar problems some years back when we purchased our coach.  We had upgraded our earlier 98 Signature coach with a SeeLevel system which for us was better than nothing but still had issues if the wiring was near any other wires which then electrically interfered giving a false signal to the receiver.  The original system was obsolete with no parts available which forced us to change and I was considering another SeeLevel unit until I investgated the new problem.  Our 03 Sig has the Aladdin sensors which I tried to calibrate but then found the black tank sensor was not only crudded over but also had a hole in it shorting the signal.  We ordered new sensors and only replaced the waste tank ones since I determined the fresh water tank sensor was good.  We haven't had any further issues in 7 years years now but I do regularly flush the black tank which seems to make a difference. 

Note:  When we purchased our Aladdin sensors, the price (unbeknownst to me) was for a set of 3 and not for a single sensor.  I don't know if that is still the same.

We have company using the coach now. When they leave, I will do as vito mentioned and calibrate all three tanks at both full and empty to see if that helps. To my surprise, when I went out to check this morning, the grey and black seem to be registering what I think is close. The fresh remains at 0. When I filled it, I calibrated it and it registered full. A day later, it was 80%. After three days, it was 55% and now is at 0. I can visually see the tank is 3/4 full. I like the Alladin system, so will play with it awhile before going to something else.      

I, personally, would not miss the Aladdin System at all. I only use it to set up the dash display in order to see the rear view camera while driving. I have not used it for anything else. I don't have a joystick and display in the bedroom like some coaches have. Plus to use it while parked I have to sit down in the driver's seat to get at the joystick.

I owned my 2002 Windsor which did not have an Aladdin System for 18+ years and got along fine without any of the information the Aladdin System provides.

After purchasing the Dynasty two years ago then finding that the PO had replaced the Surge Guard Transfer Switch with a cheaper model that didn't talk to the Aladdin System, there wasn't much other information that the Aladdin System provided that I desperately needed.

JMHO....

I also do not have the monitor in the bedroom. The info on the Alladin is nice to see, but it's difficult to read in daylight while driving. on our previous coaches, I had the VMSpc program on a laptop mounted on the dash which was very easy to read and arrange the gauges to suit me. As long as the dash gauges work, that's all we really need. Our early motorhomes only had the basic engine gauges and we somehow survived.    

@Venturer what happened to your VMSpc?

I installed a VMSpc in my 02 Windsor back in 2010. Removed it to transfer it to our 06 Dynasty. The new owner of the Windsor purchased a VMSpc which he now uses while driving. He did that based on my recommendation.

I won't move my coach unless the VMSpc is active.

Edited by Dr4Film

14 minutes ago, Venturer said:

I also do not have the monitor in the bedroom. The info on the Alladin is nice to see, but it's difficult to read in daylight while driving. on our previous coaches, I had the VMSpc program on a laptop mounted on the dash which was very easy to read and arrange the gauges to suit me. As long as the dash gauges work, that's all we really need. Our early motorhomes only had the basic engine gauges and we somehow survived.    

I’m sure you are already aware of this but if not, you can change the font and background colors on the Aladdin to help it to be easier to read

4 hours ago, Chargerman said:

I’m sure you are already aware of this but if not, you can change the font and background colors on the Aladdin to help it to be easier to read

I've tried all of the background colors, however, it is still difficult to read with sunglasses on. The VMSpc was great, but it is no longer available from what I can find.   

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I have a lot of use for the Alladin system.  In many parks I let the Alladin system keep the fresh water full as they have low water pressure so my water pump is always on.  As the tank drops to the 80% full level the Alladin system opens up the fill solenoid and fills back to 100% and turns off.  No worries.  I calibrated the black tank by filling a 1 gallon milk jug and counting the dumps into the toilet with the toilet fill water turned off. The gray via the shower and a 5 gallon water can. Sure it was tedious but pretty darn accurate now.  And as I was filling from the fresh water tank + pump I could verify the fresh water readings on the Alladin as the tank emptied.  When I first got the coach I couldn't figure out why I couldn't fill the fresh water tank until I realized the Alladin had to be powered up for the valve to open. Voltages and current are important information for me to see on the Alladin.  It helps me determine when the Big Boy needs disassembly and cleaning. My dash and bedroom displays are a very readable white font on an orange background.  No problems with reading them in the sun as opposed to the TST tire monitor system which is impossible to read.  The old TST B/W monitor was very readable but TST broke the usability with that monitor with an engineering change that when deployed to the field on new systems made the installed base of existing monitors go crazy with indications of pressures 400+ or 500+ psi.  The purchased new color monitor is not readable in broad daylight when driving needing sunglasses.  Anyway, everyone has their own preferences.

amphi_sc, I can see why you would like the system. When working correctly, it is a great information tool. I didn't know the system had an auto refill option for the fresh water.  I'll do some more digging and recalibrating and see where it takes me. We will only use the coach to travel to AZ in Oct and back to WI in May with a couple of week long side trips in between, less than 30 days total, so it's not a "must have" option.    

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I went through calibrating the fresh and black tanks by entering the raw figure when empty and the same when full. The fresh seems to move around some when no water has been removed. Might have to replace the sensor on it. The black is stable and showed the correct amounts when filling. When full, I entered the full raw data and it is correct. The grey tank is identical to the black in shape and volume. Can I just enter the raw full data without going through the filling process? The black tank was easy to see the level through the toilet. The grey would be a bit of a guessing game.  

Edited by Venturer