Ride Height Problem

FYI....

I am here at Josam's today having the balance of the required work done on the remaining air bags that needed to be installed, Leaking HWH 6-Pack Valves replaced with new o-rings, new front Ride Height Valve and the HWH Air Compressor Platform removed so I can rebuild it this summer and install it in a more accessible location. They will combine the air lines that would go to the compressor platform together so the leveling system will only work with the tank air.

I should be good to go for many years to come with a fully operational HWH Air Leveling System that will actually hold air.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Back to Josam's today.

After getting home last Thursday after all of the above work was completed, I ran the slides out then tweaked the coach for level ever so slightly in the front and turned everything off. Went upstairs and got ready for work. Within one hour or so the drivers side had lost all of its air and was completely flat on the air bags. Not a Happy Camper at all.

Called Josam's on Friday but Barry was off until Monday. Called Barry on Monday and made the appointment for today to see what the hell happened.

I will post what they find and the outcome of my third visit to Josam's. Barry did mentioned that he believes that my coach has two Ping Tanks in the front and they may be the problem or the hoses going to the Ping Tanks. I didn't even know that it had ping tanks and frankly I don't remember any one here having posted about problems with their Ping Tanks or air lines involving them.

More to come on this problem.

Something else to look for is the solenoids on the 6 packs can leak internally. I've taken mine apart and cleaned and made sure the flat rubber seal inside isn't deformed to where it won't seal. And of course, it could be something like a leaking airline or fitting between the valves and the bags. Chasing slow air leaks can be very frustrating.

Edited by PTTech
  • Like 1

On 2/8/2024 at 4:33 PM, Bobbyboy said:

I had to replace two ride height valves on my 08 dynasty; one went out while travelling and the passenger side rear dropped like a rock.  I also had to change a 6-pack becase of a bad solenoid valve that controls the levelling;  coach kept dropping on one side over night.   Based on your observation about good operation in manual mode i feel pretty sure that the solenoid that controls the air flow to ride height valve is bad.  It is an easy fix.

Bob L, 08 dynasty

Sorry, what are you referring to when you say 6 pack?  Are they the Airline valves in the rear in front of the engine?    If so, Rev Group has told me they are obsolete, is there a source for them?

Ron: The six pack is the group of solenoid valves that control the flow of air to the air bags. On my 08 dynasty the rear ones are located on driver's side basically near the drive axle. Now I have the Valid system and parts are easily available from Valid 

Posted (edited)

They are normally called 6-Pack Air Manifold. Both HWH and Valid uses them but they are not interchangeable between brands.

Each company should be able to provide them. I purchased a used one from Visone RV to rebuild over next winter. I recently saw a new one for sale on Northwest RV Supply in OR.

https://www.nwrvsupply.com/product/hwh-6-solenoid-valve-air-leveling-manifold-rap32798ap32798/

Edited by Dr4Film

Well, I am back home and things have not improved even after the service tech spent another 5 hours on the coach.

I got home about 4 pm yesterday and immediately left for work. This morning when I returned home the coach was leaning heavily to the drivers side once again. All I did was to park it, shut the engine off and lock the coach. So it was sitting at ride height condition when I left.

He replaced one new air fitting on one of the rear drive axle air bags that was installed on my first trip there. He stated it just failed and was leaking air. He also did some more work on the air manifolds in the rear for the drive and tag axles. Plus he found an air discharge line in the engine compartment on the lower left side of the engine that had a ball valve which drains the rear air tank. That was leaking and replaced.

I am calling Barry today to let him know and also to tell him that we will have to tackle the problem once again next winter after we return from our Workamping jobs in New Hampshire.

Unfortunately, it can take time for the tiny leaks to show. I have spent weeks watching the coach in my shop slowly leaking down to one side or an other, reparing and replacing parts for each symptoms. The external leaks are usually easy to find but I now believe rebuilding the valves caused a self inflicted wound to internal plunger seals because it is impossible to get them oriented the same way they were positioned prior to removal. The seats get imprinted in the rubber face and the smallest imperfection gets them to leak, ever so slowly to catch it in a day. Sure, autoleveling would deal with it in most cases but it bothered me enough to not leave it. Even the new valves you can buy are already imprinted. New plungers that never were installed in a spring loaded valve have fixed my issues now. For illustration, blue is a used plunger.

IMG_20231111_141833020.jpg

• Like 1

I have to modify my last previous post as there was an improvement in the time it took for the drivers side to collapse. So the work that they did on my last appointment improved the situation but has not corrected it.

Unfortunately, I didn't have enough time to rebuild the used 6-Pack Air Manifold I had purchased from Visone RV so I left it up to Josam's to get the job done. Between now and next winter I will rebuild the 6-Pack and air test it on the bench PRIOR to using it. I am also rebuilding the HWH Aux Air Compressor this summer. Once done it will be installed inside a bay that I found which is between the Aqua-Hot and the Glendinning Cable Master bucket.

I will just have to use planks this summer if needed to maintain level for the coach at our Workamping jobs in New Hampshire. We will be parked in one site. So once level I won't have to keep tweaking it.

On 4/3/2024 at 7:40 AM, Dr4Film said:

Back to Josam's today.

After getting home last Thursday after all of the above work was completed, I ran the slides out then tweaked the coach for level ever so slightly in the front and turned everything off. Went upstairs and got ready for work. Within one hour or so the drivers side had lost all of its air and was completely flat on the air bags. Not a Happy Camper at all.

Called Josam's on Friday but Barry was off until Monday. Called Barry on Monday and made the appointment for today to see what the hell happened.

I will post what they find and the outcome of my third visit to Josam's. Barry did mentioned that he believes that my coach has two Ping Tanks in the front and they may be the problem or the hoses going to the Ping Tanks. I didn't even know that it had ping tanks and frankly I don't remember any one here having posted about problems with their Ping Tanks or air lines involving them.

More to come on this problem.

Yes, your Dynasty does have two ping tanks on the steer axle.

Over the years, I seen a few reports where one of the 4 large diameter braided hoses going between the air bag and the ping tank develops a leak.  Finding the leak requires spraying lots on bubble soap on those hoses.  When looking for leaks, these flexible braided hoses are easy to overlook.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Michael Powell said:

Do you know if a 2004 Monaco Dynasty has a ping tank or does it use the air brake tanks?

Likely your 2004 will have 2 ping tanks on the steer axle air bags.  One on the DS and one on the PS with each tank feeding the two airbags on each site.  Air is fed to the ping tank from the ride height valve or from your HWH / Valid Power Gear systems in travel/level/manual mode.

The purpose of these ping tanks is to add air volume to the airbag system.  This helps soften the ride up front. 

Signature models also have ping tanks on the drive axle air bags.  Dynasty models don't have ping tanks on the drive axle air bags.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2024 at 8:32 AM, Bobbyboy said:

Ron: The six pack is the group of solenoid valves that control the flow of air to the air bags. On my 08 dynasty the rear ones are located on driver's side basically near the drive axle. Now I have the Valid system and parts are easily available from Valid 

Thanks, Found it, replaced the far left Solenoid Valve after testing it, it’s working now, very valuable answer, Thanks Again!

Edited by Ron Doty

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2024 at 7:51 PM, Michael Powell said:

Hate to be a be paain't but do you have pictures of them??

Just follow the large air hoses form the 4 front air bags.  The 4 large are hoses go to each end of the 2 ping tanks located up high next to the frame rail centered between the steer airbags on each side.

I have an electronic”sniffer” device that detects leaks as small a 1 psi. It has come in very useful to locate and eliminate leaks. I have seen it detect air leaks I cannot hear by just walking g around the rv slowly.

also has detected leaks soapy water did I not. I do not like some liquid leak detectors because they  corrode brass fittings. saves a lot of trouble shooting if  I go to a shop. 

Edited by Jetjockey
Spell

14 minutes ago, Jetjockey said:

I have an electronic”sniffer” device that detects leaks as small a 1 psi. It has come in very useful to locate and eliminate leaks. I have seen it detect air leaks I cannot hear by just walking g around the rv slowly.

also has detected leaks soapy water did I not. I do not like some liquid leak detectors because they  corrode brass fittings. saves a lot of trouble shooting if  I go to a shop. 

Care to share??