Where do you buy maintenance parts? is now WIDE RANGING maintenance insights on parts and techniques"

31 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Yeah, that works if you have an on/off switch inside the coach.

I don't!

Hmm, did not know it was optional. Would not want to be opening the engine access just to plug or unplug in the cold. Suppose you at least have a breaker for it.

11 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

Hmm, did not know it was optional. Would not want to be opening the engine access just to plug or unplug in the cold. Suppose you at least have a breaker for it.

I've never used it Ivan.

If I'm traveling and it's cold, I'm using the AH, with engine pre-heat on. (when I shut down for the night).

Suppose I could plug it in, and use the breaker to turn it on / off, but it may screw with my Intelitec load shedding system.

Like I say, in over 10yrs, I've never felt a need to plug it in. 

Edited by 96 EVO

I have used the block heater switch this winter, but it just opens the circulation line from the aquahot to the engine to warm the engine.  This cord has been unplugged, so I'm not sure how it would operate unless you just simply plug it in to turn it on.  I will test the outlet though.  It used to have a battery maintainer plugged in there, but I've removed that plus the isolation block, etc and put in the ACR switch.  Anyway, it just seemed redundant to have the electric block heater as well as the aquahot, but Monaco did strange things sometimes.

Coach owners without AH probably use it all the time.

If you have AH, you have a choice..... Use electricity, or, burn diesel.

If I'm sleeping in the coach that night, the option is always going to be diesel 😉!

Edited by 96 EVO
  • Like 1

If I’m hooked to shore power and I’m leaving in the morning and it’s chilly out, I just use the block heater. I have used the block heater and the AH engine heater at the same time if I’m ahead of schedule and want to warm it up a bit quicker. Jmo.

In regards to lifting your coach up for maintenance, I built a set of ramps out of 2x10’s to drive the coach up on, best thing I ever did for working underneath the ole girl! I built 6 ramps and lift the tag axle then when it’s up there I just use square blocks under the tag and drop it down to equalize the load on the chassis when it’s up on the ramps, obviously if you have to get in somewhere where the body could come down on you and trap you it should be blocked/ supported in some fashion. I don’t remember who suggested that idea but excellent idea!

It’s a bit unnerving the first time you drive up on the ramps, it takes a bit of power but if you control the movement with the brakes instead of the throttle it’s pretty easy, just don’t drive off the end!!!

I’ve spent most of my life rolling around under trucks with a bit more room so this was an excellent idea to make more room under the coach, and if the air suspension should fail while you’re under it, you should have enough room to get out!

FWIW, as far as the u-joint and yoke removal, whether you are going to do it yourself or take it somewhere, I would spray some type of rust buster on the threads.  Do it every couple of days before you start the project or take it in.  Also, you might want to scribe the parts before you take it in.  That way you can verify that the shop lined it up properly, before you drive it and feel the vibration.  
As far as the rust buster, I like to make my own.  I used a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF.  For acetone, I just buy a small bottle of nail polish remover (make sure it says acetone on it) and the cheapest ATF/power steering fluid.  This stuff works great l. 

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Where do you buy maintenance parts? is now WIDE RANGING maintenance insights on parts and techniques"

A member suggested topic  title change to best describe the majority of the recent postings.  DID & DONE

Just Jim.. I was curious that you said your block heater switch just opened a valve on the aquahot to let coolant flow. On my aquahot system there is an engine preheat switch that energizes the circulation pump. If yours works as you described than that block heater switch would have to be on when traveling in order for engine to heat aquahot. I see no way to select for engine coolant sent to aquahot by any valve or switching. If my motor is running the aquahot is going to be heated continuosly and I always have hot water when I arrive at my destination. Maybe the systems are different?

As far as ujoints replacement.  There are shops where I would be comfortable doing u joint replacement but not pinion bearing or anything inside the differential. Shims ,backlash,endplay etc  need some one who knows exactly what they are doIng!

Edited by Jetjockey
Addit

I would assume Jim's two methods of warming the engine block is the same as the rest of us.

BTW.... If you are using the Aqua Hot engine preheat pump, you don't want to leave it running after you start the engine. Apparently, it circulates the coolant the opposite direction the engine water pump does.

I mis-spoke Jet.  The switch turns on the circulation pump like you described.  My intention was to indicate that the "block heater" switch did not energize the electric block heater as far as I know.  I have not traveled with the aquahot or block heater switch on.   I think the aqua hot has to be turned on and then if the block heater switch is also on... then the system would use heat from the engine to generate hot water.  At least that is my understanding of how it works.

After reading EVO's post... I don't think I have any idea how this works.  LOL.  I'm going to check the manual. 

Edited by Just Jim

Going down the road how are you going to power your heat pumps.? You would have to run the generator I think.

With all aquahot switches for diesel and electric off. I will always arrive with hot water in the aquahot. A friends Prevost does the same thing.  I don’t see anywhere to do different. I cannot stop the engine from heating the aquahot.The engine coolantpump on mine will circulate coolant whenever the engine is running. An aquahot tech told me the engine will make way more heat going down the road than the diesel burner can. going have to investigate.

4 minutes ago, Jetjockey said:

An aquahot tech told me the engine will make way more heat going down the road than the diesel burner can. going have to investigate.

Nope!

I've made the trip south when it got cooler inside the coach than we like, just using engine heat thru the AH, and dash heat. 

Turned on the diesel burner for a while to get the temperature up.

From manual” When traveling the water pump on the engine, circulates heated engine coolant throughthe Aquahot .through convection the heat transfers to the Aqua coolant, providing hot water and interior heating. use the comfort control to operate the heat exchangers”. Page 173. Ahe 100-4s..  maybe some are different.

Evo. I am with you👌

• Like 1