Maintenance on Rooftop AC's

In preparation for leaving Florida this Wednesday to travel to New Hampshire for our Workamping job this summer, I power washed the roof, then removed all three AC covers to clean the coils along with the everything else in there.

All of the screws holding the covers were rusted so threw those away and went to ACE Hardware to purchased all new stainless steel hardware.

I sprayed all of the coils with a can of coil cleaner purchased from Amazon. Scrubbed the coils a little then let the foam do its job. 10 minutes later I washed everything down with the pressure washer. Reinstalled the AC covers so now the AC's are good to go for the summer.

The two AC's up front are the older Penguin AC/HP units with drain cups however, the rear AC had been replaced with a new Penguin II AC/HP model but they chintz out and did NOT install a set of drain cups and extra gasket. Therefore, the AC condensate runs out onto and down the sides. What a PITA! They did keep the new control board for the new AC which I have in my spare parts cabinet. Someday when the two AC's up front bite the dust I will switch everything over to the same updated control boards and purchase the Micro-Air Thermostat to control the AC's.

Hope everyone has a good summer!

Unfortunately my two AC's did not come with drain cups. The gallons of water coming over the sides can make a mess for sure. Making some cups that just slide under and then using some tubing the water is/was run over the sides. However the overhanging tubes just moved the water away from running down the sides but the splashing on the ground shoots up dirt. Another mess. 

Using some PVC and velcro to attach them to the sides a rain gutter downspout was made that could be installed from the ground easily. They were ugly of course and not a great resolution. 

It would be nice if someone with a printer could fashion  cups that would just slide under the units and even with a very small diameter hose could be run over the sides. 

Addressing the AC cleaning Richard, did you remove the condenser cover and clean the coils on them? Another tool that I wish someone would design is a plug to fit the opening so water can not get inside when cleaning them. 

Using the thin flexible cutting boards allows me to deflect most of the water but is kind of cumbersome. 

A water heater flushing tool makes water control easier when cleaning those condensers as well. 

Glad you are getting out of the heat. Hopefully we will be able to travel this Spring. 

23 hours ago, Jdw12345 said:

Isn’t there a kit you can purchase with a gasket and drain cups to use the original drain line to the ground?

To work correctly there as to be drain tubing run from the inside down through the walls. 

My guess is that on certain models Monaco did install the drains but may not have used the AC's with the drain cups. 

If you do have the tubing installed you can install the drain cups.  The kit includes a gasket, the cups, cross over tubing, a T, and the hose clamps.  Not hard to install but to do it correctly you have to disconnect the wiring.  You could take a chance and cut the gasket and then glue it back together. 

~5 years ago did both of mine, then when I replaced the AC's I used the cups again. 

On 4/16/2024 at 8:33 AM, Jdw12345 said:

Isn’t there a kit you can purchase with a gasket and drain cups to use the original drain line to the ground?

Yes. I am installed them when I replaced both my 20+ year old units. I still have a used set in case I need to replace one. 

56 minutes ago, dennis.mcdonaugh said:

Yes. I am installed them when I replaced both my 20+ year old units. I still have a used set in case I need to replace one. 

When I replaced my cups and gaskets the old cups were really brittle.  I bought new cups "just in case" glad I did, I threw the old cups away. 

@Dr4Film Richard - your use of a pressure washer without inducing leaks... how did you do that?  I wish you had done a video.  I thought the fins on the coil were also easily damaged, and that coil cleaner, a gentle brushing, and a low pressure rinse were the recommended norm.  Your thoughts and experience are always informative and I look forward to an update when you land in NH.  Thanks - Steve P 

@Steve P Both of my pressure washers come with multiple different nozzles. I use one specific nozzle for doing the roof at a close range so it gets sown into the pores of the unpainted fiberglass to get all of the crud out and clean it to a pearly white. Then when cleaning the coils of the AC's I use a completely different nozzle that does not damage the fins of of the coils plus keep it at a safe distance. It's all a matter of "common sense".

As far as leaks, if your roof is sealed well then you should have no worry. However, if it isn't then I would take care of that FIRST by removing all of the OLD sealant and redo all of those areas with Sikaflex 715 White Sealant.

Condenser coil would be easy enough to spray without getting water inside the coach.

Evaporator coil would be more difficult!

I just use a spray bottle to rinse the foam out of mine.

Edited by 96 EVO