Recommendations For Dehumidifiers

Can anyone recommend a dehumidifier for my 38 Safari Cheetah PDQ. I first searched our fotum and only found one recommendation. I live in South Louisiana very humid. I keep the coach in enclosed storage. Thanks in advance.

I bought a two room dehumidifier from Amazon, don't remember the name brand but it was cheap and works good.  My 2006 HR Scepter stores outside in covered storage so I just put the drain hose into the kitchen sink and let the water run into the gray tank.  I'm in south Florida so its quite humid here too, but I don't find that it actually makes much water.

I also keep my coach in a 1,500 sqft enclosed garage.  I run a large capacity residential dehumidifier, the same as I use in my house basement, in the garage with a drain to the outside.  The humidity is maintained at 50% all summer long. 

Over the years, I've had a number of different brands.  Frigidaire used to have a 5 year warranty but now most all residential dehumidifiers only have a 1 year warranty.  They did that for a reason.  In my house and garage, I've replaced each one 5 times for free under warranty.  Yep, that's 10 new Frigidaire dehumidifiers under the old 5 year warranty.  Each one only lasted one summer. They just don't make them like they used to.  I'm now trying a more expensive Santa-Fe brand with a 5 year warranty.  So far, it's lasted 2 years.

• Like 1

What Frank said... 

I just took to the dump my third Frigidaire dehumidifier.  I bought two and was gifted one.  Each was about one year old when it failed. It was the 50-pint model with built-in pump (about $310).  In a very short time, the units will display an "EC" error code, which the manual states is an input power related problem.  IT IS NOT!!  It is indicating that the refrigerant has leaked out.  One could no doubt install taps into the refrigerant lines and recharge the unit, but based on three units failing in about a year, you would not have permanently fixed it--the refrigerant would just leak out again, if you had not identified the source of the leak.  I switched to another brand (Home Labs) and have just installed it.

The built-in pump is a worthwhile feature.  You can have its condensate discharged almost anywhere, and you don't need to constantly empty a bucket.

I hada  Haier and a Frigidaire 70 pint model dumping directly into the house AC condensate pump.  Each lasted 2 seasons.  I donated the Haier to an AC friend of mine that found and fixed all the leaks and forget who he gave it to.  He passed away so can't do that with the Frigidaire.  Even if I installed a tap there's no way for me to purchase R410A so I'm SOL.  I'm not buying # 3 so I can use it 2 years to throw away.

- bob

I guess I’m the oddball, and I’ll probably jinx it… I’ve had a Frigidaire 50-pint unit for 13 years and it still runs like a top! Paid about $300 for it at Home Depot in April 2011…

I’m like Scotty.  Have an older Frigidaire.  I bought the 5 year “FIX or REFUND” warranty from Lowes.  Maybe $50.  Like a Timex watch….Took a lickin’ & keeps on a tickin’.

I had a $1,000 commercial unit and was constantly figuring out how to patch it up.  Fried wire. Fan motor.  

1 hour ago, Scotty Hutto said:

I guess I’m the oddball, and I’ll probably jinx it… I’ve had a Frigidaire 50-pint unit for 13 years and it still runs like a top! Paid about $300 for it at Home Depot in April 2011…

The older units were great.  I still have on old Sears unit from the 80's and it still works.  But the new residential units all now have a one year warranty for a reason.  They surely must have lost money on those POS 5 year warranty units.

• Like 1

Same here in Florida. Been through two Frigidaire 50 pint units. First one lasted one year, replaced under warranty. Second one lasted about seven months, threw in the trash and  didn’t bother with the warranty. Probably just as cheap to run the air year round.

Alan G.

95 Dynasty

3 minutes ago, Alan Goolsby said:

Probably just as cheap to run the air year round.

Alan G.

95 Dynasty

Oh, I doubt it!

Believe mine draws about 6 amps with the compressor running.

I had several dehumidifiers in my garage. They typically lasted a year or two.
I noticed that they'd often freeze up, so I put the last one, a Chinese unit from Amazon, on a timer which cycles it on for 2 hours several times a day.
This let's it defrost between runs, and it's lasted several years so far.

• Like 1

Last November, from Amazon, I bought a Vellgoo dehumidifier (4,500 Sq.Ft Energy Star Dehumidifier for Basement with Drain Hose, 52 Pint).  I have it set on 50%, and has been in constant use, sitting in the coach behind the driver's seat, which allows it to extract humidity when the door opens.  Quietest one I have seen.  If it doesn't need to do any work, it is silent.  Lots of nice features.  I can use either a drain line, but I use the removable built-in catch bucket.