New Stereo - Reverse Camera Signal missing. Need help…Thanks.

Go to solution Solved by cjmikek,

Tried with no luck last night to find a reverse signal for new stereo install to turn on back up camera. Camera get power and I can go to it so its getting the signal just cant find a source to switch the stereo to go to that mode automatically. Found a wir eon Kenwood DVS system (KNA-DV3100 Tied to LZ-800W) that said pink should have this signal but checked it and it doesn't change with putting it in reverese.

Also need to find a route to roof for XM antenna. Old antenna is dead.

Had Kenwood KVT-M700

2005 Monaco Signature 45PBQ 525 Detroit Diesel

thanks

• Tom Cherry changed the title to New Stereo - Reverse Camera Signal missing. Need help…Thanks.

First, what new stereo are you installing?  That would help.

Second. The route from the dash, at least on mine…and others who have added audio and antenna signals and such from the “top” or above the windshield to lower or into the dash….

I ran audio input feeds to the “Receiver” or amplifier so that I can use any device like an iPhone or iPod or iPad.  I carefully sort of “popped out” the plastic trim molding on the side of the windshield that was closest.  Then I tucked in the leads and reattachd or popped back in the plastic trim.  

OK….assume you have a plate and the dead XM antenna.  Use the lead as a “snake”.  That assumes the hole will let the new connector feed through….

OR….keeo reading…..I also am familiar with running an XM/Siris antenna as I did that on my former Winnebago.  You need a MAGNETIC grade SS plate.  Maybe 9” or so square. XM used to have instructions on permanent mounting to a fiberglass or boat or such. Glue (3M Marine 5200 is great) the plate. I think you point a corner to the front…but probably not critical. Then you drill a hole for the lead…towards the back of the plate…out of the center and far enough back to put down the antenna. Also you will need a gromett that will allow the connector to be threaded through it.  After drilling, use a wire snake and keep tapping and you will find the snake rattling around in the top and end cap.

Pull up a fish wire and then “reel in” the connector. Place the magnetic mount on the middle of the plate… Use Proflex RV sealer and seal the hole and also run a bead around the base of the antenna to secure it to the ground plane plate.

Good Luck…

It's a pioneer Pioneer AVH-3500NEX. 

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130AV3500/Pioneer-AVH-3500NEX.html?tp=72357

Got everything figured out except for a switched reverse signal to trigger switching the monitor to back up camera. I can do it manually but would be so much easier if it did it automatically.

Current GPS antennae is half way down above the main slide the coach on drivers side. Can't imagione that will be an easy route to follow. 

While adding a new replacement backup camera, and a second rear view camera, I found the trigger to be at the Aladdin (2005 Exec).  Later today I'll try to  resurrect the drawing I used, if you don't have someone who provides the info before.

-Rick N.

Rick that is what I thought as well. But I was testing the alladin with a multimeter last night and could not find any wires that were switching. 

It has been a while, but I think I determined that the reverse signal went to the Video Converter.  That is the box that the rear camera is connected to and then goes to the Aladdin.  Here is a copy of the schematic I have for my 2005 Exec.  It should be the same (unless someone has modified/upgraded your cameras). 

I ended up using the existing cable, soldering new connectors on the camera side, and then modifying the Converter Box to still power the camera, switch the camera in reverse, and bypassed the video electronics and directly connected the camera video input on the Converter Box to the video output (to the Aladdin) on the Converter Box.  I did this because I was lazy, and didn't want to solder new connectors, and figure out how the power and reverse were switched.  

I am not using the "reverse" wire on my monitor, for the cameras (I have the See-Vision which has the side view cameras and an interior camera in addition to the rear view camera) but instead simply using the Aladdin input which does all the camera switching.

-Rick N.

2005 Exec Schematics Scanned 2017 Rear Camera.jpg

I'm going to be replacing the Original Kenwood in my '05 Exec soon.  I was under the impression that all I had to do was use the same video input connector that went into the Kenwood and everything would work the same as how the original Kenwood did.  Am I missing something?  I have been considering the BOSS  with the 9" monitor.

58 minutes ago, Mike H said:

I'm going to be replacing the Original Kenwood in my '05 Exec soon.  I was under the impression that all I had to do was use the same video input connector that went into the Kenwood and everything would work the same as how the original Kenwood did.  Am I missing something?  I have been considering the BOSS  with the 9" monitor.

As long as you plan on using the Aladdin to control the cameras,  yes.  But if you are replacing cameras, or bypassing the Aladdin, then there are considerations. 

- Rick N 

• Like 1

If you have truck horns above the driver, or any nearby antenna, you may be able to fish a wire from there to the A pillar. Remove the A pillar cover.

Trying to use the original cable for a pull cable will not likely work, especially from the position you describe. The cable will likely be tangled or tied to other cables.

Installing it above the driver will allow for a much shorter cable which will provide a stronger signal to the radio.

There are a lot of helpful snakes available and some magnetic pull devices as well. I have an old speedometer cable that is golden. 

This is an essential tool. https://www.crutchfield.com/learn/12-tools-you-need-to-add-to-your-tool-box.html

I spent an extraordinary amount of time chasing down the darn thing. This is not what I call it but this plastic tool is invaluable.

Scroll down and find the "wire worm".

Edited by MyronTruex

• Solution

Turns out engine must be running for reverse signal to be generated and sent up to front of bus. So once was running I found the signal I wanted on the pink wire that was labeled for reverse signal that went to KNA-DVS 3000.

2 hours ago, cjmikek said:

Turns out engine must be running for reverse signal to be generated and sent up to front of bus. So once was running I found the signal I wanted on the pink wire that was labeled for reverse signal that went to KNA-DVS 3000.

Hummm.  I never thought to mention that.  How could you put it in reverse without the engine running?  I've never tried to select reverse without the engine running, can it even be selected? 

-Rick N 

• Like 1

On our ‘05 Sig, I ran my new XM antennae from the roof, down through the opening for the OTA TV antenna crank, and tucked it in along the drop down TV trim, along the top of the driver-side side window, down the left front pillar and down into the dash. I of course sealed the wire on the roof where it entered the OTA TV antennae crank. It’s practically invisible.