7500 Onan will not start

vanwill52
Go to solution Solved by vanwill52,

I'm about to go on a 4-hour errand, so I wanted to post this before leaving.  I'll return this afternoon.  I'm planning to leave on a trip tomorrow morning.

I have a 35 code, which simply says "Needs Service".  Pressing the Start button from any of three locations does nothing.  No click.  No engine turn over.  The lights---blink-blink-blink  PAUSE  blink-blink-blink-blink-blink, which I'm interpreting as Code 35.

I'll work on it some more when I get back today.

Van Williams  2000 Dynasty 36   ISC-350  Onan   7500 Quiet Diesel (inverter-type)

There are 3 fuses under the small access panel above the start button on the generator.  I'd start checking those 3 fuses, I know one of them has to do with the starting function.  I believe one is a 25 amp fuse and the others 10 or 15 amp. 

Thanks, Jim.  I only saw two fuses under that cover.   I'll look again.  Both fuses good.  Oil and coolant were OK. Disconnected/reconnected the multi-pin line going to the genny.

On mine two of the fuses were attached to the neck of the coolant fill, the other was loose.  

When my wife was trying to get her's going late last month she found the loose one but the others were attached to the neck and at first glance didn't see them while we were doing a Facetime call. 

Edited by jacwjames

17 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

I hate to even mention it but isn't  code 35 for self check failure on the control board? Maybe try reseting the connector? Wish it's something easier and cheaper than that.

Would explain it not even attempting to start!

31 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

@Ivan K is correct.

C&P from the 7.5K Manual -

CONTROL CARD FAILURE FAULT—CODE NO. 35
(Microprocessor EEPROM error during self-test)
Corrective Action: See an authorized Onan dealer.

Ain’t but one call needed.  FlightSystems.com.  They are the experts on boards and board repairs and also refurbished replacements.  They do, as of a member’s recent post, allow returns if issues other than the main board…. They also provide tech support to diagnose.  Onan is good….these guys are better

10 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

Well, hopefully you are traveling shore power to shore power.

Thanks!  No other choice.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm home from my trip.  I'll tear into the genny soon.  I never did find the third fuse.  Anyone give me any more directions to find it?

Also, assuming the 35 error code is correct, I must remove the front section of the genny, containing the electronics.  Anyone done this?  I'm sure I'll figure it out, but anyone's experience would be welcome.  Looks like I have to slide the genny back a few inches to get the room, but there are only four bolts holding it to the slide.

I'll also have to build a lightweight, but bulletproof, wooden box to ship it to Flight Systems and back.

• 1 month later...

Two weeks ago, I removed the entire inverter assembly and shipped it to Flight Systems.  $150 UPS--OUCH!!

Unfortunately, the EEPROM is INTERNAL to the CPU on the control board, and the only cure is to replace the CPU.  Worse, the CPU is no longer available as a separate part.  The folks at Flight Systems had a spare CPU, which they installed, but the board was still inoperative.  The fellow I talked to said it was common with the EEPROM error message that something else might also be wrong.  Bottom line, the 40 pound inverter assembly is unrepairable.  My genset has approximately 1250 trouble-free hours on it.

Flight Systems referred me to Advanced Service and Parts, LLC (also in PA) which has an entire (new?) converter assembly available for $3700.  I have not called them yet.  Still pondering what to do.  I do not object to the Inverter-style Onan, nor the fact that it is 7500 watts instead of much larger.  But neither am I opposed to replacing the entire Onan Generator assembly (even with a larger one), should it be cost-effective.

Has anyone ever replaced their 7500 QD with a larger one?

At present, I am leaning towards buying the replacement inverter assembly, since it would be simply swapping parts.  The only other parts I've ever read about folks having any significant issues with are the Stator/Rotor assemblies, and that is also available from Advanced Service and Parts for about $1500.

Any thoughts from you guys?

X2 on Visione

Looking at the spec's squeezing a 10KW into ta 7.5 space is probably doable but might be tight on height, I think I've got 5" clearance on mine. 

7.5KW Visione had a used one with 165 hours but no price listed. 

WEIGHT - 420 POUNDS
LENGTH - 36.3 INCHES
WIDTH - 23.6 INCHES
HEIGHT - 22.3 INCHES

10KW>>> Visione has a new one for $13K.

Weight: 767 lbs (348 kg)
- Length: 41.4 in (1051 mm)
- Width: 24.5 in (622 mm)
- Height: 27 in (685 mm)

My thoughts….yes….only 1250 hours.  But if you price out a new one and the Install??.  I personally would go with new or refurbished.  Flight is reputable.  They are trustworthy.  USED ELECTRONICS is a crap shoot.  The RV salvage yards are NOT gonna want to GUT a unit that they can sell as a complete unit.  Nor would I.

And, they are NOT qualified to take it out…

DAD GUMMED shame…but, fixing it right is never a bad strategy 

Man, that really sucks, I hate decisions like this one. I guess what ever shows up for reasonable sale first would be what I'd do. When they say the CPU is not available, if it was, would they be able to flash it and make it work? Strangest things show up on eBay sometimes. I just doubt it is Onan specific chip and could possibly be removed from something else. Or an other Onan with bad motor.

All I can do is offer real measurements of a 12.5kw unit ... 

• Solution

Jim, thanks for the measurements.  I think they will determine my solution.  My coach originally came with NO provisions for power cord storage—you simply wrestled that monster into a coil and stored it in a bay…especially difficult in cold weather.  I modified a MorRyde manual cord reel with a dump truck tarp gearmotor and added a clutch I made from timing belts and specially-machined pulleys.  It takes up ALL the space between the front of the genset and the front cap of the generator bay.  I have LOVED that modification and would not give it up for anything.  So, I can’t use a longer genset.  Thanks.

Richard, yeah I’ve looked at used gensets for quite some time but have not seen anything that might not have the same probability of failure that I have with the present genset.

Ivan, yes the CPU is probably not Onan proprietary, but flashing it might be a problem.  Plus, Flight Systems tried a substitute CPU and concluded there were other problems that replacing the CPU would not fix.

Tom, I have to agree that IFF the replacement inverter assembly is a NEW one (hopefully with a current CPU), that will be my choice.  It was a pure BITCH removing that inverter assembly, and I surely do not want to do it TWICE.

Ivan, thanks for your offer of dimensions, but I guess my choice is made—I’ll have to stay with the physical size genset I have.

Thanks to everyone for your contributions to helping solve this problem.

10 hours ago, Ivan K said:

Van, I got this reference on a generator forum, if you want to try

Test Point Inc

343 Granary Road, Building E
Forest Hill, Maryland 21050
888-493-8181

Thanks, Ivan.

I checked eBay and Facebook marketplace for RV generators.  There was s a 7500 in Chase City, VA for $850.  It looks kind of rough, but the price is right.  You could cannibalize it for the parts you need.  I see you are in Pinehurst, so you could drive there, test it, load it up, and be back home in time for dinner.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dandick66 said:

I checked eBay and Facebook marketplace for RV generators.  There was s a 7500 in Chase City, VA for $850.  It looks kind of rough, but the price is right.  You could cannibalize it for the parts you need.  I see you are in Pinehurst, so you could drive there, test it, load it up, and be back home in time for dinner.  

Can you give me a link to it?