New front penguin and thermostat installed

John  Haggard

I replaced my 4 button duo therm thermostat. 

And the penguin replacement plug and play. 

I set two dip switches

Heat pump

Furnace 

The unit came with the correct board.

Total cost installed 

About $2,000.

Im 😊 happy 

20200802_154324.jpg

20200717_150848.jpg

1 hour ago, Perpendicular said:

Hi John -

Great info! I presume you have a 2nd unit and it works off the new controller?

Enjoy the cold AC 🙂

No

This is the single, zone 3 unit zone in the front living room, kitchen area.

I have two original unit's,  one zone 1 bedroom and one , zone 2 hallway that works off the orriginal 4 button thermostat in the bedroom.

We have 3 zones, 3 air conditioning,  heat pump units, plus aquahot 

Thanks Perpendicular 😊 

One thing about the quality construction of this Monaco.

It can be 100 degrees and I can set the thermostat at 68 or 74 and that is the temperature it holds.

I like cool 😎 so I love the Monaco 

• Like 1

Thanks Perpendicular 😊 

Plug and play, just set the two switches 

Heat pump

Furnace.

One thing about the quality construction of this Monaco.

It can be 100 degrees and I can set the thermostat at 68 or 74 and that is the temperature it holds.

I like cool 😎 so I love the Monaco 

20200729_105324.jpg

• Thanks 1

I really like the look of that thermostat.  I have the old style five button Duo Therm CCC operating my three AC units and the Aquahot.  I’ve heard it’s not as easy as plug and play with the new thermostat. Does anyone know if it can be set up to easily replace my existing thermostat?  

If you read my opening comment. 

You will see that I installed a new air conditioning unit with a new board that would allow me to use a 10 button, replacing my 4 button thermostat without running new wires.

The model # of that specific penguin and the # for the board already installed is pictured.

In your situation you will need to change the 3 control boards in all three units.

It can be done.

Call the company 

• Thanks 1

To use the functions of the new 10 Button CCC-2 it requires that you have the newest Dometic AC units otherwise you are not gaining anything by switching.

The 10 button CCC-2 is a far better thermostat than the old 5 button CCC with it's added functionalities.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dr4Film said:

To use the functions of the new 10 Button CCC-2 it requires that you have the newest Dometic AC units otherwise you are not gaining anything by switching.

The 10 button CCC-2 is a far better thermostat than the old 5 button CCC with it's added functionalities.

Why do you need a new ac unit ???

Please explain .

Yes

I had to install a new unit. But nothing function s

Better concerning the unit itself.

Only the ability of more auto functions on the 10 button.

Over my 4 , or 5 button that I had on an airstream

4 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

John,

To utilize ALL of the functions on the new 10 button CCC-2 AFAIK it requires one of the new compatible Dometic AC's. Otherwise you are not gaining anything by just changing from the old 5 button CCC to the new 10 button CCC-2.

Richard, you comment is interesting....and I am a bit confused.....

I talked to Dometic.  I have read a LOT of the various posts.  This is what I THOUGHT that I understood....

The 10 (or maybe 12) button NEW thermostat will NOT work with the old units.  That T'Stat, per Dometic, is a SMART T'Stat and the old original HVAC (AC with or without HP) are DUMB....in that they only work with the OLD 5 button T'Stat.

Dometic says they have a Control Board that "Dumbs DOWN" the new units.  So, you have to purchase an additional Control Board (now upwards of $175) and then do a "not that simple" rewiring or reconfiguring job on the NEW units.  Once you successfully rewire and reconfigure the NEW unit....and then do the RESET of the 5 Button T'Stat.....all should work well.

SO, if you opt to put in the NEW Unit and use the NEW 10 Button, you will have to have separate control (phone cords) to each unit and have BOTH T'Stats on the wall as you can NOT multiplex and have them work together.

NOW....again.... I can be wrong.  In addition, there are a LOT of smart folks out there that say that they have figured out how to "hack" or make the units compatiable.

BUT, as of a year or so ago, Dometic said that the above was the ONLY way for the Old T'Stat to Multiplex and work with a NEW unit.

OK....before I hit SUBMIT....I did some MORE googling to see if the situation had changed.  

There are a LOT of posts out there that state what I understand.  One poster, on another forum ,added a tidbit.  He bought a "box" or a modified control board for his OLD unit that would make it SMART.  He had a buddy do the work.  NO JOY.  He then spent a lot of time with Dometic.  They said the same thing.....absolutely NO WAY to get the new T'Stat and there is some debate about 10 vs 12,, to work on an older style MULTIPLEXED 5 Button (Select or Toggle unit, Down, Up, Fan Mode) T'stat....  He was ordering an OEM Dometic  Dumb Down Control board for the NEW AC.  

SO, if you can elaborate.....  Trying to sort this out a little more....AND if there IS a Smarten Up box (would have to aftermarket or a "hacked" control board), then info on that would be helpful.

Thanks...

9 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

John,

To utilize ALL of the functions on the new 10 button CCC-2 AFAIK it requires one of the new compatible Dometic AC's. Otherwise you are not gaining anything by just changing from the old 5 button CCC to the new 10 button CCC-2.

I dont see that issue?  Maybe I  missed something 🤔 

As I explained clearly. 🤔

You have to update  the control board

On your existing penguin with hest pump

To utilize the existing wiring from the roof unit to the new 10 button thermostat. 

If you dont buy the roof unit specific with correct control board.

Beliw is pictured the label of the penguin unit part # retrofited with the correct control board

Part # shown, for 4 button to 10 button using the same wiring. 65 815H75IC

A 5 button conversion to 10 button conversion would take a speciffic new control board.

Fortunately 

The soybeans are looking good this am. To keep our rig roadworthy 😀😄😁

20200717_150848.jpg

20200812_081615.jpg

We have hade 3 nights of temperatures in the 50s. 

The auto function works perfectly. 

From air to heat pump at desired settings .

Im very happy with the plug and play on the newly offered Penguin.

I ordered it from Amazon.  They said unavailable. 

Two days  later it arrived from rv whatehouse in California.

20200812_192824.jpg

Just thought I would point out that the 10 button thermostat actually has 12 buttons but 2 of them are not currently used for anything. So I guess those that are calling the new thermostat a 12 button are correct when it comes to the number of buttons.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bob Nodine said:

Just thought I would point out that the 10 button thermostat actually has 12 buttons but 2 of them are not currently used for anything. So I guess those that are calling the new thermostat a 12 button are correct when it comes to the number of buttons.

When the CCC-2 was first introduced it was a 12 button functional thermostat. However, two of the buttons were a useless feature I believe. One button was used for de-humidification and the second was used for checking the outside temperature.

thumbnail.asp.jpg

Edited by Dr4Film

4 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

When the CCC-2 was first introduced it was a 12 button functional thermostat. However, two of the buttons were a useless feature I believe. One button was used for de-humidification and the second was used for checking the outside temperature.

thumbnail.asp.jpg

Interesting Richard, thanks for the info.

11 hours ago, Bob Nodine said:

Interesting Richard, thanks for the info.

NOW that explains IT.  I have seen the "NEW" T'Stat called a 10 Button and a 12 Button.  Dometic, in their "Retro Kit or the 12 - 5 "CONVERSION control board uses the "12 BUTTON" designation.

Thanks for clearing this up.  This whole mess is confusing as is....without a semantics or terminology issue....

Hi,

I am having a new Penguin AC unit installed and was told if I run the new unit off my old 5 button thermostat that the 15K BTU AC would be derated to 13.5K. I had another 15K AC installed last summer and the Tech used the board from the old AC to be compatible with the 5 button thermostat and the AC functions fine. Any thoughts why a thermostat would derate the cooling/ heat capacity of an AC unit?

Thanks,

Ray Murley

2009 Dynasty 

Ray,

I would NOT go back to the location where that first technician is employed as that is a bunch of malarkey.

So are you planning to one day switch over to the new 10 button CCC-2 once all of your AC's are the new Penguin II's?

Are you saving the new control boards aside for future use?

2 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Ray,

I would NOT go back to the location where that first technician is employed as that is a bunch of malarkey.

So are you planning to one day switch over to the new 10 button CCC-2 once all of your AC's are the new Penguin II's?

Are you saving the new control boards aside for future use?

Totally agree with Richard.  That tech ain't the sharpest knife in the door.   If he really believes that....then as my daddy used to say about my mom sometime...."She DON'T Know...."

You have, if I understand it, TWO things to get done.

First.  I HOPE that you have the ORIGINAL Board from the unit you had installed last summer.  IF NOT....then you will have to purchase one.  If the tech used the OLD board from your OLD AC, and it works with your 5 Button T-Stat, then at least the tech did it right.  There MAY be articles or instructions for using the OLD board from a unit and it appears that tech was savvy enough to make it work and saved you a bundle.  The labor to CONVERT the "12 - 5" Board....so that it can be installed has to be close to an hour..   SO, the board, that MOST would have bought, was say $150.  Add in $100 or so since the tech was SUPPOSED  to cut and splice and make changes....then you came out OK>>>>

NOW....you will need to have the tech REINSTALL the original Board in last Summer's unit.  Fortunately, you DO have a new one to use as a model or example.

Second....you will need the NEW 12 Button (which has been called 10 because two of the buttons don't seem to add any functionality).

I would try to find the ORIGINAL Tech...  OR, I would go somewhere and tell them what is you have been told needs to be done and see if they agree.  If not....then I would wonder.  This is not exactly like  wiring up a NASA control panel to launch a rocket.    Again, the tech last year SHOULD have given you the ORIGINAL board to be used when you upgraded.

Hope this helps...

Richard and Tom, thank you for your replies. I consider the thermostat as an on off switch and the cooling/heating capacity is  a function of the compressor size and evaporator/ condenser sizing.

Unfortunately, no Idid not get the new ten button board from last summer’s  install. The old adage “old too soon and smart too late” applies. I don’t have a problem manually controlling the temperature with the five button thermostat and will probably not upgrade to the ten button in the future.

Ray Murley

2009 Dynasty

25 minutes ago, rtmurley said:

Richard and Tom, thank you for your replies. I consider the thermostat as an on off switch and the cooling/heating capacity is  a function of the compressor size and evaporator/ condenser sizing.

Unfortunately, no Idid not get the new ten button board from last summer’s  install. The old adage “old too soon and smart too late” applies. I don’t have a problem manually controlling the temperature with the five button thermostat and will probably not upgrade to the ten button in the future.

Ray Murley

2009 Dynasty

Your call.   You did not say how MANY of the AC's have been upgraded.  My ASSUMPTION is that you have done ONE and have TWO to go.

I would find the FIRST tech or a tech that can "Swap out" the board.  Otherwise, you will have to purchase a board this time around.  NOW you have TWO new (SMART) AC's.

When the final one craps out....same deal.  If you can use the old board and the tech knows how to work it....then you keep on truckin'

There MAY come a time when you 5 Button T'Stat ceases to function.....or you LOSE one of the "OLD" Control Boards in an AC.

Then, you dillema.....WHAT is the best solution.  DO I purchase a REFURBISHED T'Stat and then hope for the best.....That is your call and  your pocket book...

ONE approach MIGHT BE....  Do the swap NOW and use the OLD board.  You are NOT out the $150 and the swap seems easy and you don't spend a LOT on labor.

BUT, I would take photos of the NEW Board as it is installed and which wires go where.  THEN pull out the NEW board and keep it locked up and keep the photos on file or printed.

When the THIRD unit goes TU, then buy a NEW control board for the original (last summer) unit.  have it reconfigured as a SMART unit.  Reconfigure the second one (the one you are going to do NOW).  Put in the 12 Button T'Stat.

I will also throw in a MONKEY WRENCH.....one that folks MIGHT not be aware of....  You MAY (most (likely) actually have FOUR controllers.  They do NOT show up when you reboot or reset the TStat.  One of our learned individuals with a similar Dynasty says that there is a FOURTH Control Board or Module that is hidden in the bowels us his rig.  He as found it.  It is "memory" a Dometic Control Board and it controls some of the AquaHot functions.  That is about as much as I KNOW about that.  

SO, if you ever do UPGRADE to the 12 Button system....you MIGHT find that you lose functionality in one zone or one area of the AquaHot.  HE MAY chime in here....or NOT.

Bottom line.  STOP USING THE ON/OFF switch on the 5 Button T'Stat.  The folks here and at the Gathering say the the refurbishers and folks that sell the discontinued 5 button units say that the ON/OFF switch is harder to FIX.  They recommend that you turn ON and OFF the AC or whatever function via the MODE button...I have started to do that after the 2018 Gathering.

I have had my T'Stat apart and done the PM and cleanup on it.  It seems OK.  If you never plan on upgrading, then a wise individual MIGHT purchase a spare OLD control Board (new or refurbished) and also a Spare Refurbished T'stat.  Eventually, one of those will fail....

BUT, it is your MH and now your know some more info.....

Good Luck....

I had a 4-button thermostat that was going flaky and 2 original Dometic Penguins on my 97 Windsor. This spring I replaced the 4-button thermostat and control boards with 5-button tstat and control boards.

I talked to Dometic support when deciding whether to go with a 5 or 10 button thermostat. According to Dometic, there are no control boards that can allow an AC unit originally using a 4-button thermostat to use the 10-button thermostat.  The 5-button thermostat can run a 4-button, 5-button or 10-button AC unit with the proper control board.

Edited by jimc99999
clarification