Turning Off Power Gear/ Valid Air Leveling System

I have a 07, 42ft Camelot with the Power Gear Air Leveling System -- The positive wire for the air pump goes from the fuse box that is located in the front run bay to the air pressure switch , which goes directly to the pump (no relay) -- The air pressure switch went kaput & the pump would not shut off -- I`m replacing the pressure switch & adding a relay -- My question is , how do you kill power to the positive wire from the fuse box -- It stays hot at all times -- The off button on the touch pad does not turn off this power -- I pulled the fuse to work on it, but shouldn`t there be a some way to kill that power from the touch pad -- Seems like that would run the battery down while in storage -- We purchased this coach new in April 2007 & the leveling has been no problem without that pump -- Been disabled for awhile -- But I`m getting the coach ready for sale & want everything working -- William Willard

Edited by mmccwill

When I moved our air pump inside a bay compartment from where it was originally mounted above our drive axle, I also mounted a switch by the driver's seat to turn the pump on or off.  I simply ran a wire up from the FRB into the side console at the driver's seat and mounted a switch.  I have the Valid also and only the pressure switch turns the pump on and off, it is independent from the leveling system.  On our coach when it is cold outside under 35df, our pump runs often, so the switch makes it easy to just turn off rather than go outside and pull the resettable breaker in the FRB.  Very simple project.  Hopefully someday I will finally find the leak that must open up only when it is cold.

Thanks so much for your reply -- I though that I wasn`t pushing the off button in the right order -- The touch pad can do everything but turn the pump off -- Adding the switch is a very good idea -- The pump not working has not been a problem for us -- When traveling, we only stay at one place 2 or 3 days at a time , so the coach stays level during the short stays - I had forgot about the pump till I was going through a things to do check list -- Our pump is located on the passenger side, in front & above the front wheel -- When you moved your pump, did you use a 4 terminal relay -- Our coach never had a relay & that`s probably what caused the pressure switch to go bad --   William Willard

No I didn't use a relay, there wasn't one on it to begin with.  I just put on a couple connectors so if I have to replace the pump I can easily unhook the wires.  The pressure switch and the pump for that matter are prone to failure or clogging being in the weather, dust, rain, etc.  Moving it inside a compartment was the best thing I ever did.

• Thanks 1

On 10/20/2020 at 1:02 PM, mmccwill said:

I have a 07, 42ft Camelot with the Power Gear Air Leveling System -- The positive wire for the air pump goes from the fuse box that is located in the front run bay to the air pressure switch , which goes directly to the pump (no relay) -- The air pressure switch went kaput & the pump would not shut off -- I`m replacing the pressure switch & adding a relay -- My question is , how do you kill power to the positive wire from the fuse box -- It stays hot at all times -- The off button on the touch pad does not turn off this power -- I pulled the fuse to work on it, but shouldn`t there be a some way to kill that power from the touch pad -- Seems like that would run the battery down while in storage -- We purchased this coach new in April 2007 & the leveling has been no problem without that pump -- Been disabled for awhile -- But I`m getting the coach ready for sale & want everything working -- William Willard

• 3 weeks later...

I put a switch inside to shut power off to the pump so it would not come on in the middle of the night.  I did use a relay and it's mounted inside the FRB.  It is a 4 wire, meaning two control wires and two power wires one from the 30 amp fuse and one to the pump.  There is a 30 amp fuse feeding the pump motor.  The control wiring fuse is much smaller, maybe a 15 amp.  I put in a switch with a pilot light to remind me that the power is on if I forget to turn it off at night.

One other problem these units had was improper plumbing of the pressure switch, it was put in the wrong location by Monaco when built.  I removed it and installed in the proper position, otherwise the pump would run more than it needed to since it was not reading tank pressure.

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty Regal IV

Bill, your doing better than me cause I can't figure out which fuse in the FRB, powers the compressor. If I want to shut it up, I crawl under and disconnect the + spade connector.

What I've been doing lately is keeping my coach air tanks charged up with a portable compressor. The aux compressor practically never runs doing this.

• 1 month later...

I too have experienced the compressor that wont shut up.   I killed the coach power (both man batt switches) to shut mine up.   It hasn't done it again since.  I am going to replace the pressure switch and install a kill switch too.  Great idea!

CapnDean, check to make sure the factory put the pressure switch in the right place in the air lines.  Going off memory there is the pump then a check valve then the pressure switch between the check valve and the tank.  The factory put mine ahead of the valve and once the pressure in the pump dropped the pump would turn on and basically ever turn off.  My coach stays level and I hear the pump running every so often.  I used to pull the fuse, but that got old and it was very difficult to see the fuse let alone get my fingers in there to remove/replace.

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty Regal IV

• 5 months later...

I never knew the compressor was energized all the time until I walked by the coach one morning and heard it running.  I tried to turn it off, but nothing worked.  It ended up blowing the fuse, so I cut the wire going to the pressure switch and put t a switch (see photos). Now I leave the switch off most of the time.  When I’m at a site, I will energize it every few days and let the compressor run if it needs to.  I need to find my air leak, but that’s a story for another day. 

EAF64D19-05BA-4220-9753-F53CFB2FB989.jpeg

538828B7-E7D6-4C1A-BFE1-B7BCF282D1F9.jpeg

• 1 year later...
13 hours ago, bandmmorris said:

Can anyone tell me where I can get the pressure switch and what I should order?

@bandmmorris

There are TWO current and more timely topics running....

You need the Viair 90100 Pressure Switch.  It is a ON at 90 and OFF at 120

Here is the switch on Amazon.  One of the posts below has a much cheaper one, imported.  All I know is that I put in a new switch in 2013 and mounted it properly and it was the OEM Viar and it is still working today.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002PH80PI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is the OEM, US Made one that Monaco used.  I talked to VIAIR.  There are TWO switches....but this one is the REGULAR.  The weather proof or heavy duty or off road has the same internal contacts as the regular one.  The failure you have is, most likely, from water in the line.  Monaco goofed or got sloppy.  Use a Zip Tie and mount or relocate the switch above the compressor.  If it is below....it will get moisture.  Mine was a NEW MH that I purchased and the switch was bad.  I didn't realize it until several years later.  I DID keep the reservoir for the Aux Compressor drained....but even then....it died. I used a simple paper clip jumper on the switch leads from the harness and BINGO....it ran.

Suggest that you read the two following topics and if you have any questions, then post there.....as this one, relatively speaking is old and almost closed out.  There is a LOT of good info.  I don't use the Valid AUTO on and "tweaking".  Many also do that.  We don't need the Aux Compressor, but occassionaly use it manually.....good stuff there.....practical