Velvac Mirrors

Is it just me or does Velvac's website simply suck? My driver's side mirror base has decided to lose some of it's chrome and I thought I'd explore having it re-chromed. Before removing it and checking out the cost of such an endeavor, I thought I'd see what a replacement would cost. What a nightmare! Maybe it's just me but after spending an hour on the web, I'm no closer to determining what I've got than I was when I got up this morning. It appears there's three different mirror assemblies Velvac made for RVs. 2020/2025 and 2030. I think I have the 2025 but I'm not sure as Velvac's website doesn't show pictures of the assemblies only the heads and they all appear to be the same. So, my question is two fold. One, has anyone replaced or re-chromed the base of the mirror? Cost? and Two, how did you determine which Model mirror was on your coach. I'd appreciate some help before I go insane....thanks...Dennis

IMG_6612.jpg

• Like 1

I was able to get Veltec to replace my original set as they dechromed in less then two years. They said the supplier was at fault. Three years later they did the same thing. I had them rechrome at a shop in Philadelphia. They did last two years. I purchased the RV new at a trade show Oct 2003, 2004 PDQ 40'. They could use it again.

I had all the chrome done on my 1969 Stingray two years ago during a rebuild. This is a different shop after looking around after my first experience. The work is guaranteed as long as I own the car. I asked them a price on the mirror mount and only if I take it in. I planned on doing that this year but the virus as put this on the back burner. The shop is Librandi's. Restore mgr Mitch Crater 717-944-9442 Located in Harrisburg PA. Right next to airport. www.carchrome.com

Good luck   (I did think of just painting them black)

I sandblasted mine and prime / painted / clearcoated to be same as body color.  No peeling since.  The key is to rough up the chrome so paint sticks.  You could use a flap wheel on a grinder instead of sandblast.    I used standard body plastic to blend in the spots where the chrome was pitted post prime.    Looks factory.  Less hassle (for me) than removing and sending out for chrome that cost will probably be close to replacement.  You also are then forced to unwire the mirror so the base can be removed completely.

To do so, I would remove the allen head screw and see if the chrome base can easily be seperated from the main arm.  That makes it easier to prep the base.  Then, put a tall step ladder or overhead tree limb with a rope to suspend the mirror.  Remove the chrome covers for the bolts to the RV body.  Remove those bolts.  Remove the mirror assy and detach the base from the arm.  You can then carefully pull the wires out to give you some working room.  Cover the RV with some tarps.  Then do you work on the base / paint / reinstall all.  You could also decide to paint with the mirror reattached so the chrome bolt covers get painted to...or do all separate....

Edited by DavidL

The reason so many Velvac mirrors have peeling chrome after only a few years is the PLATING PROCESS Velvac uses. After decades of short-lived chrome plating, they are still plating directly onto aluminum cast/extruded parts without first copper plating. That all but guarantees the underlying aluminum will begin to corrode and the plating begin to peel.

Chrome plating aluminum alloy parts without first copper plating is just plain poor quality. Every plating shop knows that skipping copper plating is poor quality. Velvac continues to do it.The reason Velvac and Ramco mirrors start blistering and peeling within a few years is basically the lack of the proper process they use to plate aluminum. Aluminum does not plate well unless copper is used as the primary step before nickel/chrome. Velvac and Ramco do not plate their mirrors. They are sent to Mexico as raw metal and plated there and the is no copper step in their plating process.

I own Space Coast Plating, Inc and we do re-chrome The Velvac and Ramco Mirror arms and bases. We have been in business 25 years and we use the Triple plate process, Copper, Nickel and Chrome. We have plated many Velvac Mirrors for many of our members and we are listed in the Vendors forum.

Velvac will not sell you the arms or the bases unless you purchase the complete mirror assembly. They will sell you the head and mirrors.

We plate the bases for $140.00 each and the arms start at $150.00 each and go up according to length and condition. We also try to keep the mirrors and bases that are already Re-furbished for exchange so your down time is limited. When you send in your parts we will match them up with what we have in stock and will exchange them if we can.

You can contact me at 321-254-2880 if you need more information.

• Like 3

I’ve had mine done by Space Coast. Excellent workmanship and customer service. They actually had a set the same as mine done so I had the newly plated bases and arms back in a few days. Highly recommend Dave’s outfit. 

Did a bunch of research back in 2018 because our mirror arms and bases were in terrible shape on our 2003 Dynasty.  Most people that reordered from Velvac complained of same peeling problems again on their "new" ones in a short period of time.  We too went with Space Coast and they did an amazing job.  Our new arms and bases have been on since Feb 2018 and look as good as the day we received them.  Cannot say enough about Space coast.  Great communication, excellent work!  I will try an attach pics if I can, but would recommend them 100% if you want to stay with the chrome option. 

IMG_5607.jpg

IMG_5610.jpg

IMG_5608.jpg

IMG_5609.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ktloah said:

When you disassemble your mirrors,  did you have to cut all the wires?

You don’t have to cut any wires. Once you have the mirrors off the Coach remove the arm mounted cameras if you have them or the light that is in the same location at the bottom of the arm. On mine there were plugs located inside. Pull them out and unplug and remove the mirror heads. Then carefully pull the remaining wire out of the arm. Then you have to drive out the split pins that hold in the eyebolt. That’s it. Once you get the components back be sure to use special care when installing the split pins. I made a soft wood cradle to hold the arm while driving the pins in. Not a difficult job at all as long as you have moderate mechanical abilities 

Does anyone know where I can get replacement parts for the Velvac?   I have one that has been "messed with" and the remote adjustment is all messed up.....my belief is that someone either rewire the connector incorrectly, OR the motor mount was put 180degrees off, as adjustments are going diagonally rather than up/down and side/side.   (ie: pressing the UP control moves the mirror to the upper right corner,  pressing left goes DOWN to lower right corner....

Am hoping it is just a simple wire splice job to fix it, but without diagrams, or proper replacement connectors I don't want to get into it and get stuck in worse situation...

21 hours ago, Chargerman said:

I’ve had mine done by Space Coast. Excellent workmanship and customer service. They actually had a set the same as mine done so I had the newly plated bases and arms back in a few days. Highly recommend Dave’s outfit. 

How do we contact "Space Coast" ?  And what is a ballpark price they get for rechrome Velvacs??

You can go to the VelVac website and download the manuals which will include a wiring schematic or you can open the Wiring Diagram Manual that came with your coach and find Drawing 38020694. The drawing will be in the Multi Chassis section about ten pages in.

You will find all your answers there.

Let us know if you can not find it.

Unfortunately replacing them with new Velvac parts won’t solve the problem long. I first replaced one base and after just two years the chrome was blistering around the mounting ovals. Much better to go to Space Coast for a long term resolution.....and you will save money too

I have a pair of Velvac bases labeled as C7094910 Base(9"RAD) BUS ARM MIR ASY CHROME, but not sure what they go on. Someone told me they were for a 2007-2008 Mandalay Bay. They are still in original box dated 01/29/01 and brand new. If anyone knows anyone with a need, let me know.

Jim McPheters 

08 Dip

• 2 years later...

Looks like an old thread, but maybe it will be revived.  My question is that the Velvac mirror heads are plastic.  Of course the metal bases are peeling like everyone else's, but the plastic has some paint peeling off too.  Anyone else had that issue and how did you fix it?  Chrome spray paint?  Thanks,  Jim

• 5 months later...

Suggest you reach out to Space Coast Plating directly in Melbourne Fl.  Many times they have your mirrors in stock already plated and do a swap but they need yours to match up the radius on the base.  I just sent them a base and the time to repair and rechrome it was about 3 weeks  

Yes, We are still reconditioning and re-chroming the VelVac and Ramco mirrors. We can re-chrome the bases and arms regardless of condition. We cannot re-chrome the heads because they are plastic, some Ramco mirror heads are metal and we can re-chrome those.

The mirrors have to be completely disassembled before you send them to us and send only the parts you want re-chromed.

I have VelVac mirror arms and bases that are already completed and will exchange for yours if they are a match.

Turn around time is usually 2-3 weeks.

• Like 1

I just checked my Mirrors today should have taken a photo. But looks like i have the plastic Heads. And have some bubbling on the chorme. I will need to figure that part out my self. 

The Arms look to be in good condition not sure if they even need to redone. The base mount though is something that needs to be redone. They are not super bad some bubbling on one side or the other. I will need to think this one through. I have a trip coming up so need to sort out my timing. 

Thanks again for all the great feedback. 

On 10/26/2023 at 10:37 PM, MJ.STIGER said:

I just checked my Mirrors today should have taken a photo. But looks like i have the plastic Heads. And have some bubbling on the chorme. I will need to figure that part out my self. 

The Arms look to be in good condition not sure if they even need to redone. The base mount though is something that needs to be redone. They are not super bad some bubbling on one side or the other. I will need to think this one through. I have a trip coming up so need to sort out my timing. 

Thanks again for all the great feedback. 

There are about 6 different radius available for Monaco coaches. Make sure you get identical radius or they won't fit. Want to know how I know? I have a brand new set that don't fit....Dennis