Servicing AquaHot 450D

CapnDean

New to me Coach.  Best I can tell the AH has never been serviced.  It works great but I plan to tackle it anyway.  Anybody got any pointers?  It should be pretty straight forward yes?

I service mine regularly. Go to RV Hydronic Heater Repair. Rodger Berke has a forum and sells anything and everything you would need. If you join the forum you can ask questions and he responds back to your question on the forum.

I have bought parts and motors new and used rebuilt from him and never been disappointed.

Good luck

Hello! I did Aquahot service this year. I drained the boiler fluid and replaced it - I don’t think anyone had done so before. The previous owner kept thorough records, but nothing regarding the Aquahot. Be forewarned - it holds about 18 gallons. I bought the Century concentrate. I replaced the nozzle, serviced the burner and replaced the faulty float switch. The previous switches were plastic - we replaced it with brass. The original was very brittle and broke trying to remove it. I had to re-tap the threads. It functions much better now. 

Nozzle replacement and filter.

Try not to bend the ignitor elements so as not to move their position.

Clean up all parts (like the combustion chamber).  I use carb cleaner.

I like the idea of replacing the low coolant switch...I had to on mine but didn't realize there was a metal replacement.  Mine is a HydroHot.

• Thanks 1

One of many things to be careful of is on the blower unit. There are 2 tabs that secure the blower/burner unit to the housing of the AH that can be broken very easily. Make sure when you reinstall the blower unit that you hold in firmly in place and you tighten each bolt evenly a little at a time. I would suggest just using a 1/4" ratchet. You will need a long extension. 

8 minutes ago, Vince Toscano said:

One of many things to be careful of is on the blower unit. There are 2 tabs that secure the blower/burner unit to the housing of the AH that can be broken very easily. Make sure when you reinstall the blower unit that you hold in firmly in place and you tighten each bolt evenly a little at a time. I would suggest just using a 1/4" ratchet. You will need a long extension. 

Agree that this is a fragile mount. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN!  or the tab will break off. Don’t ask me how I know 🤬

2 hours ago, John Haggard said:

Yes , it is quite simple.

good luck.

And, there are Many,many quality youtube videos to watch.

Roger Burk is a great go to source.

rogerberke.com is a great site and a immense knowledge source. He has a forum that i would suggest everyone with a Aqua Hot system join. Very competitive pricing for parts too.  

He sells a new style of zone valve, that we all know does stick "closed" which has a silicon liner for the butter fly to sit on that eliminates that issue immensely.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Hello! I did Aquahot service this year. I drained the boiler fluid and replaced it - I don’t think anyone had done so before. The previous owner kept thorough records, but nothing regarding the Aquahot. Be forewarned - it holds about 18 gallons. I bought the Century concentrate. I replaced the nozzle, serviced the burner and replaced the faulty float switch. The previous switches were plastic - we replaced it with brass. The original was very brittle and broke trying to remove it. I had to re-tap the threads. It functions much better now. 

I thought the Aqua-Hot 450 model only had a 5 gallon boiler fluid tank. Have they changed the tank size to a larger tank or are you referring to a different model Aqua-Hot?

Another source 

lloydsrvheating.com

Lloyd De Gerald services

501 258 8426 

Peron Ak.

They came to my coach in Ohio last September and installed a newly remanufactured exchange. 

With a one year warranty. 

The tanks and system are of the 600 model. I think ?

20200902_122905.jpg

20200902_122846.jpg

20200903_093218.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 1/17/2021 at 8:47 AM, John Haggard said:

Yes , it is quite simple.

good luck.

And, there are Many,many quality youtube videos to watch.

Roger Burk is a great go to source.

And there are some you don't want to watch!

The plate with the flame sensor is meant to float. Seen one Youtube where the guy added washers to 'tighten' up the plate 🙄!

12 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

I thought the Aqua-Hot 450 model only had a 5 gallon boiler fluid tank. Have they changed the tank size to a larger tank or are you referring to a different model Aqua-Hot?

Sorry, I was wrong in my statement in regards to my unit. I do not have a 450. Mine is a 100 series. My apologies, don’t know what I was thinking. 

8 hours ago, Chargerman said:

Sorry, I was wrong in my statement in regards to my unit. I do not have a 450. Mine is a 100 series. My apologies, don’t know what I was thinking. 

No big deal! Just trying to keep the information flowing here as accurate as possible as there are a number of new members now that are just learning the ropes of these complicated systems. My coach came with a AH-100-01 which took a dump the winter of 2005/6. Had to have it replaced with a rebuilt from the plant in Colorado and they took the failed one back as a core charge. They sent an AH - 431/12 model which is basically identical to the AH-100. I think the later models 100-03 and 100-04 are somewhat different electronically as they have that control board which lights up with indicator lights.

Anyway, the fluid in my Aqua-Hot was changed out when they did the swap but I did it again in the summer of 2015 while in Alaska. I used Zerex Ethylene Glycol Coolant same as what I use in the Cummins ISC-350.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Richard,

I thought that propylene glycol was the only approved fluid due to the toxicity of ethylene glycol. I am clear that fresh water loop and the closed part of the system are separate. Is there any risk with the use of ethylene products?

Steven, on Roger Berke's Aqua-Hot discussion forum, he had put together a list of model numbers that were approved to use EG boiler coolant and what models could ONLY use PG boiler fluid. I will look to see if I have a copy of that document.

Basically if your Aqua-Hot model has an external fresh water loop then either EG or PG can be used. However, if your model has an internal fresh water loop inside the boiler then you can ONLY use the PG boiler coolant.

• Thanks 1