Dash Air Pressure Gauge

I have an ‘04 Neptune 32PBD, it does not have a dash air pressure gauge!! Has anyone ever added one?  I would think there is already a pressure sensor on the tank because I do have the alarm and low light when it’s low, so would I be able to tap into it to add a gauge? 

I think the gauge could be added very easily but I am sure the sending unit to  read pressure will be different than for alarm only. Google a pressure gauge with sending unit kit and the options should be endless. 

11 hours ago, Rob’s 32PBD said:

I have an ‘04 Neptune 32PBD, it does not have a dash air pressure gauge!! Has anyone ever added one?  I would think there is already a pressure sensor on the tank because I do have the alarm and low light when it’s low, so would I be able to tap into it to add a gauge? 

That's odd.  Do you have air brakes?  I'd think the gauge would be required if you do.
You can't do the required DOT air brake test without one.

49 minutes ago, dl_racing427 said:

That's odd.  Do you have air brakes?  I'd think the gauge would be required if you do.
You can't do the required DOT air brake test without one.

I do have air brakes, I thought it was weird too....

14 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

Do you have your coaches manual describing the gauges? Could it be that the dash was modified in a weird way?

It’s all stock, entry level DP....so my guess is it wasn’t standard equipment. Nothing in manual about air gauge, only warning bell and dash light. 

3 hours ago, Rob’s 32PBD said:

It’s all stock, entry level DP....so my guess is it wasn’t standard equipment. Nothing in manual about air gauge, only warning bell and dash light. 

I have no idea but could it be that your rig is under 26k pounds?

I'd love to see a pic of the dash and all the gauges if you don't mind.  I'd think the person could add gauges for you. 

Guest Ray Davis

Here is a quote from Family motor coach ( FMCA ) that says hydraulic brakes.

The R-Series includes the R4R, which is a straight-rail frame chassis that uses the Cummins ISB 300-horsepower engine (600 pound-feet torque at 1,600 rpm) and an Allison 2000 MH five-speed transmission with a push-button shift pad. This chassis is used for the Monaco Cayman and the Holiday Rambler Neptune. The chassis includes hydraulic brakes with ABS and is equipped with a 75-gallon fuel tank.

1 hour ago, Ray Davis said:

Here is a quote from Family motor coach ( FMCA ) that says hydraulic brakes.

The R-Series includes the R4R, which is a straight-rail frame chassis that uses the Cummins ISB 300-horsepower engine (600 pound-feet torque at 1,600 rpm) and an Allison 2000 MH five-speed transmission with a push-button shift pad. This chassis is used for the Monaco Cayman and the Holiday Rambler Neptune. The chassis includes hydraulic brakes with ABS and is equipped with a 75-gallon fuel tank.

That’s weird, because when I press the brake pedal, I can definitely hear the air release...

2 hours ago, Steven P said:

I'd love to see a pic of the dash and all the gauges if you don't mind.  I'd think the person could add gauges for you. 

FED45681-9520-4D75-8126-B8FDFFC8C23C.jpeg

Love the woodgrain.  What's the gauge below the speedometer? And the 2 below the fuel?  Engine temp? Volts?  

Found it.  If you haven't, you can download the manual from HR website.  Section 10 chassis.  Per the manual you have hydraulic brakes, but air parking brakes. 

Screenshot_20210330-074722_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20210330-074732_Drive.jpg

Edited by Steven P

13 minutes ago, Steven P said:

Love the woodgrain.  What's the gauge below the speedometer? And the 2 below the fuel?  Engine temp? Volts?  

Found it.  If you haven't, you can download the manual from HR website.  Section 10 chassis.  Per the manual you have hydraulic brakes, but air parking brakes. 

Screenshot_20210330-074722_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20210330-074732_Drive.jpg

The gauge below speedo is turbo psi gauge,  the big gauge to the right is fuel, oil press, and eng temp.  

5 minutes ago, Rob’s 32PBD said:

The gauge below speedo is turbo psi gauge,  the big gauge to the right is fuel, oil press, and eng temp.  

That’s good info on the brake system, I still wonder why I seem to hear air venting when I apply my brakes.  

• Like 1

Guest Ray Davis
10 hours ago, Rob’s 32PBD said:

That’s weird, because when I press the brake pedal, I can definitely hear the air release...

Rob,   I think you may have air assisted brakes.  I like the idea, seems a little safer to me.  Here is a link that describes them.

https://kor-pak.com/need-know-hydraulic-assist-brakes/

Here is a little excerpt, Larger, commercial vehicles typically employ air brakes. This system uses compressed air to activate the brake system as opposed to the compressed fluid in a hydraulic system. Smaller, domestic vehicles will use hydraulic over air brakes. Brake with Fluid. Hydraulic assist brakes provide an additional safety feature to just about any vehicle.

13 hours ago, Rob’s 32PBD said:

That’s good info on the brake system, I still wonder why I seem to hear air venting when I apply my brakes.  

Your brake booster is probably air operated.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 7/25/2022 at 11:31 PM, Robert92867 said:

Did you end up adding a gauge?  I have a 32 PBD also and want to add a gauge.

I am looking to add a air pressure gauge as well. My 04 HR Neptune 36PDQ does not have one and my dash is similar to Rob's

This is an old posting, but I will follow up.  I have the same chassis, under 26k, hydraulic brakes.  In April '23 I added an air pressure gauge and a transmission temp gauge. For the pressure gauge, I tapped into the 3/8" air line that runs direct from the pressure storage tank to the parking brake mushroom button.  Several adapter fittings were required, as I I had to downsize to the gauge size.  If your going to do this, start by pulling the captains chair, which gives you decent access. I wanted to monitor my load / unload air pressure. Works very well.

NEW GAUGES.jpg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Robert92867 said:

This is an old posting, but I will follow up.  I have the same chassis, under 26k, hydraulic brakes.  In April '23 I added an air pressure gauge and a transmission temp gauge. For the pressure gauge, I tapped into the 3/8" air line that runs direct from the pressure storage tank to the parking brake mushroom button.  Several adapter fittings were required, as I I had to downsize to the gauge size.  If your going to do this, start by pulling the captains chair, which gives you decent access. I wanted to monitor my load / unload air pressure. Works very well.

NEW GAUGES.jpg

Looks great.  Curiosity, the PB line should, I think, be the “rear” system.  Most of the dash clusters today have front and rear.  Do you plan on a front air system gauge?  Do you already have an Audible “warning” chime for air.  Again, most have a common alarm or chime.  I helped a 07 Dynasty owner revise his as the transducers were on the PCB for the gauge cluster.  He has a 65 PSI switch on each line.  Cheap, readily available and reliable.  We wired an ignition signal to each switch and the output to a common chime.  That is the way it is done now.

7 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

Looks great.  Curiosity, the PB line should, I think, be the “rear” system.  Most of the dash clusters today have front and rear.  Do you plan on a front air system gauge?  Do you already have an Audible “warning” chime for air.  Again, most have a common alarm or chime.  I helped a 07 Dynasty owner revise his as the transducers were on the PCB for the gauge cluster.  He has a 65 PSI switch on each line.  Cheap, readily available and reliable.  We wired an ignition signal to each switch and the output to a common chime.  That is the way it is done now.

Tom,

I'm not sure, but it's possible that with air over hydraulic brakes, there may only be one air system.

The under 26k chassis only has one air tank.  It's sole purpose is maintain pressure to the Air Springs, Exhaust Brake, Parking Brake, and Hydraulic Booster.  These simple systems don't even have a dryer / filter on the air governor. Oh yeah, it also feeds air to the vacuum generator (pitot tube)

• Like 1