Windshield Replacement

I went out to the coach yesterday and to my surprise I found the windshield had cracked, in a "Y" pattern starting from the bottom right corner almost to the top.  Coach has been sitting for 8 weeks or so and the crack is recent.  Only thing I can figure is heat from the sun, even though I have a sunscreen on the outside.  Anyway I need to get it replaced.  I am going to Oregon later this month and would like to get it replaced by RV Glass Solutions in Coburg.  My question to this forum is could I just tape the cracks, inside and outside, with good duct tape and be safe driving 500 miles or so to Coburg?  Or would I be better off getting it replaced somewhere in the Sacramento area by one of RV Glass Solution associated glass repair places?  The windshield itself would still be supplied by RV Glass Solutions (this will be the 3rd windshield replacement in 16 yrs).  Thanks.

ArtM,

2005 Windsor PDQ 40ft.

Art

I had mine done by USA Glass which Duncan Systems sent me after two failed installs in Grass Valley. They did an excellent job. It hasn't fallen out or leaked like the last two.

3485 Orange Grove Ave H, North Highlands, CA 95660

(916) 978-3550

Our windshield cracked repeatedly so we wanted it fixed properly by RV Glass in Coburg since they would dry-fit the new one and find out what was causing the cracks.  (It turned out that our front cap was a little skewed so a fiberglass shop removed fiberglass from one corner and added fiberglass to the opposite corner)  We spent the winter in Arizona and didn't go to Oregon until the late spring and we didn't tape the windshield at all even though the crack was top to bottom.  When they removed the windshield the whole thing was still in one piece so I wouldn't worry about it.  RV Glass did an amazing job!

Tricia Neuzil

'06 Diplomat

You would probably be fine. We have taken the windshield repair kit from Walmart $10 or so. We sealed 2 cracks about 18in long. My wife used the plastic sheets at the intersection and at each end of the cracks and equally with how many she had. The rest of the crack just run the glue all along the crack. That was almost a year ago & the crack has not gotten any longer here in the Arizona sun. 

May be a little weird, but it seemed to work.  She has also used the stuff on my cellphone.  

Safe travels 

You might contact RV Glass Solutions and ask their opinion. When we did ours there a few years ago, we called and asked- they said it should be safe to drive and explained why because of the way the windshield was made, etc. No guarantee, but they thought it would probably be okay. We drove about 300 miles to their facility with no problem.

PS - they did an excellent job. Would definitely recommend them.

karl 98 Sig

I drove our RV for over 7 years with a quarter size bullet ding from a stone that never spread one mm and a smaller stone ding that did develop into a long crack that traveled through the curved area of the drivers side without it ever causing any problems while driving. Finally had the windshield replaced in Florida at RV Glass Solutions in Lakeland FL.

They did an awesome job!

Don't worry about it. If something does happen then have Coach-Net tow the coach to the glass shop in Oregon. The VERY best towing facility in the entire state of Oregon is called Crocketts Towing. Trust me I know from experience.

https://crockettsinterstate.com/#home

They also did an awesome job!

• Like 1

We drove like this for some 6k miles over 7 months long trip until I got home and fixed the damaged window frame when a truck ripped our mirror and more. Clear Gorilla tape from Walmart and some wide awning repair tape was holding it inside and out and from sliding down. The glass was flexing when meeting trucks from opposite direction but held in place. Coach Glass replaced it in my garage, in TX. You should have no problem.

Screenshot_20210704-121858_Amazon Photos.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hi Folks,

2004 Cheetah.  I live along a dirt road which is bumpy, so I drive very slowly.  However, some dear person put a hole in the road [spinning wheels] and as i rounded the corner the passenger side dipped and windshield cracked.  Had new awnings installed and when leaving the yard the windshield cracked more see pic #1.

I have to presume at some point the front end of the coach was rebuilt or at least there were windshield issues.  If you look at the other pics hopefully you can see there are only 2 brackets.  One is no longer screwed to anything.

I have called the local experts as supplied by RV Glass, no one wants to come up the mountain 😉. Local glass guy says he has experience with pop outs etc and has found a way to stop it.

I would like some advice please.

EG; noting all the black goop which has been applied, do I strip it all off, with what?   I can apply more brackets but how/where do I know the correct place is for the top of the dash member to connect with the windshield.   Is the windshield supposed to 'float' on its own.

The rubber surround is shot so a new piece will have to be installed.  Does anyone have any knowledge of how to fix this or are there any papers on the topic?

Les 

Windshield 1.jpg

Windshiled 2.jpg

Windshiled 3.jpg

Windshield 4.jpg

While at my brother's house in Newcastle CA, East of Sacramento I called t h e guys in Coburg. They shipped the glass to their affiliate in Sacramento. It was replaced at the house in less than 3 hours including a new gasket. They did a great job.

Had mine replaced late last year. Drive it a couple of times seems like i hear more wind from the window area. Yesterday i was at the coach and see a large gap between the Seal and coach body. Called the company that replaced the windshield they are going to send someone out to fix repair this. Hope its not a big issue. Have a large trip coming up next week for about 2 months. So i will be road testing it. LOL

B20A1AB4-D406-4B54-B23A-E77373B5FD38_1_105_c.jpeg

52061459-B52F-4E8F-827C-2F938E99A004_1_105_c.jpeg

DEFAA36E-799C-40A1-8BF2-C058DC573AA5_1_105_c.jpeg

57B55AE1-30BF-46EF-A51E-B683C5C8D813_1_105_c.jpeg

Most places are likely OK with RV Glass and two piece windshields. However, with single glass and single curved glass type windshields there are only a few companies that know how to install those special windshields and what to do to prevent exactly what happened to you.

Luckily, I am not that far away from one of the country's premier RV windshield shops, RV Glass Solutions in conjunction with Coach Glass. That is the only place I would have a single one-piece curved windshield installed.

Hopefully, they will be able to correct your problem so that it doesn't happen again.

Sentienal glass in hot springs ark. Knows how to do rv windshield, one piece  or two. Stands by his warranty also. Installed new on my monoco diplimat, both windows. Surprized insurance recommends them . He has been doing it for 30 yrs. Watched him do mine and 3 new units with one pcs windshield, vandals on new sales lot. I know after watching and helping just a little i decided i dont need to try it. Lol

Hi All may I ask you to look at the 2nd picture in my post above.

I'm faced with a dilemma or two.  RV Solutions and various RV glass companies do not want to come to the high desert [up the mountain] near Palmdale California.  One of the local glass guys [Buster] replaced the glass on my Southwind successfully.  In this case the dash cover and the windshield on the Southwind move around quite a lot.  Buster has fixed a Monaco after one person spent $8k having the front end [cap] stiffened up.  When the single windshield was then installed it popped out, Buster fixed it.

Here's my dilemma, if you can see the screen shot it shows one of the brackets not touching the underside of the dash cover and the entire area where the dash meets the windshield is covered in goop.   Looks like to had been so for years.

What is best.

A stiff cap and dash attached to the windshield or perhaps allowing the windshield to float [in my case the end cap may have been damaged many years ago].

In other words, I leave everything as it is, have the windshields replace plus a new gasket and allow the unit to float somewhat.  Or, remove all the goop put in new brackets and then attach the windshield or put windshield in cap as it is, then remove/replace brackets to fit how ever the cap and windshield are sitting/situated?

Les 

On 2/29/2024 at 6:56 AM, Dr4Film said:

Most places are likely OK with RV Glass and two piece windshields. However, with single glass and single curved glass type windshields there are only a few companies that know how to install those special windshields and what to do to prevent exactly what happened to you.

Luckily, I am not that far away from one of the country's premier RV windshield shops, RV Glass Solutions in conjunction with Coach Glass. That is the only place I would have a single one-piece curved windshield installed.

Hopefully, they will be able to correct your problem so that it doesn't happen again.

Richard, I'm curious about your location, You say you are close to RV Glass, which I think is in Oregon, but your signature says you are in Florida. Do they have another location down there? I live in W. Washington and have been thinking about going to Coburg to have windshield work done.

Greg

Edited by PTTech

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the input.

That is really good news, but also leaves me questioning.

My passenger windshield broke from the bottom of the right hand corner.   If the dash does little to assist windshield strength, what would have cause the 'stress' in order for the windshield to break.   I was assuming the 'was tight on the windshield and as such going over a dip or bend pushed up hard against the windshield.  Hope would the cap cause stress?

I'm still wondering, is the windshield best if NOT attached to the dash cover [or maybe loose] so there are no hard contact spots.

Hmmm

Les

36 minutes ago, PTTech said:

Richard, I'm curious about your location, You say you are close to RV Glass, which I think is in Oregon, but your signature says you are in Florida. Do they have another location down there? I live in W. Washington and have been thinking about going to Coburg to have windshield work done.

Greg

@PTTech

Scroll to about halfway down this page then you will notice that they have 4 "extended locations" marked with stars but have over 3000 service locations.

https://tinyurl.com/yc3ze7d7

Not sure of the quality of those 3000+ locations because I have read many horror stories with improper windshield installations. I am fortunate to be located within a 2.5 hour drive to one of their premier locations in Lakeland Florida.