Replacing interior Pot Light Bulbs

I bought half of my 30+ led’s from cabin bright as a test as the 30+ I bought from Amazon died within two months. Its been over a year now and only two have failed. 100% guaranteed so soon I will test that and buy the rest.2FBE3BEA-16AD-47DE-89C7-09E18720E005.thumb.jpeg.7034e65078755fe86ade61fd3e2c37a6.jpeg

• Thanks 1

A couple of suggestions. First is the ring around the puck light is held on by tabs. Turning the ring will line up the tabs and the ring can be removed. The glass then is held in place by three small plastic tabs. Use caution not to break any of those tabs. When you press the tabs, make sure you don't drop the glass cover on the floor and break it. Just do things slowly. Now here's another 'tip'. If the ring is difficult to turn it might be 'stuck' to the ceiling material. Using the edge of a credit card, insert it under the ring and move it completely around the ring, then try to twist it. Also pushing upward while turning may make it easier. The bulbs are G4 bi pin halogen. I dislike the heat from the lamps so I changed all mine out to LEDs. If you want to use a dimmer you'll have to buy LED dimmable bulbs or stay with the halogen. I kept the halogen over the sofa and desk and changed out all the overheads. The issue with LEDs is size. Most are too long to fit the puck lights. The ones I purchased are in the link below. They are a hair longer than the halogens but they fit easily into the pucks with no modification. No flicker, and they are really bright. I tried the warm light and didn't like them so I went with the daylight ones.....hope this helps....Dennis

https://www.amazon.com/Halogen-Equivalent-Daylight-Non-dimmable-CHEERBEE/dp/B089R8HKH7/ref=sr_1_17_sspa?crid=1OSXDV7YL9BYR&dchild=1&keywords=g4+led+bulb+12v&qid=1627788872&sprefix=g4+%2Caps%2C236&sr=8-17-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyOENPWDE1V1c0TEVWJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDIzNTQ3M1VBRlFUNlZSSEg1NSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMDg0NTEzMkhUUlo1MU4zRllBTSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Edited by Dennis H
Link added

6 minutes ago, JDCrow said:

12 dollars a pop is expensive! 12 X 44 = $528.00 plus tax !!! Bulbs are 14 bucks for 10. Wow!

Awesome help! Thanks everyone!

51 minutes ago, Dennis H said:

A couple of suggestions. First is the ring around the puck light is held on by tabs. Turning the ring will line up the tabs and the ring can be removed. The glass then is held in place by three small plastic tabs. Use caution not to break any of those tabs. When you press the tabs, make sure you don't drop the glass cover on the floor and break it. Just do things slowly. Now here's another 'tip'. If the ring is difficult to turn it might be 'stuck' to the ceiling material. Using the edge of a credit card, insert it under the ring and move it completely around the ring, then try to twist it. Also pushing upward while turning may make it easier. The bulbs are G4 bi pin halogen. I dislike the heat from the lamps so I changed all mine out to LEDs. If you want to use a dimmer you'll have to buy LED dimmable bulbs or stay with the halogen. I kept the halogen over the sofa and desk and changed out all the overheads. The issue with LEDs is size. Most are too long to fit the puck lights. The ones I purchased are in the link below. They are a hair longer than the halogens but they fit easily into the pucks with no modification. No flicker, and they are really bright. I tried the warm light and didn't like them so I went with the daylight ones.....hope this helps....Dennis

https://www.amazon.com/Halogen-Equivalent-Daylight-Non-dimmable-CHEERBEE/dp/B089R8HKH7/ref=sr_1_17_sspa?crid=1OSXDV7YL9BYR&dchild=1&keywords=g4+led+bulb+12v&qid=1627788872&sprefix=g4+%2Caps%2C236&sr=8-17-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyOENPWDE1V1c0TEVWJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDIzNTQ3M1VBRlFUNlZSSEg1NSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMDg0NTEzMkhUUlo1MU4zRllBTSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Super useful help. Thank you!

I replaced mine three years ago and purchased them on eBay I have had zero failures. As far as removing them. Most of them I was able to turn the glass and replace them. I hade four or five that I had to pry down with a putty knife and pull them out of the ceiling.They also work as a dimmer. I have three puck lights underneath the hall vanity that I forgot to replace I could never figure out why my middle air conditioner would run all the time during the day. Finally figured out that the three vanity lights we’re producing enough heat to kick on the air conditioner because the sensor for the air conditioner is underneath right by the vanity lights. Replaced them with LED never had that issue again. https://www.ebay.com/itm/YITAMOTOR-10-50X-G4-Base-Pin-Reading-Marine-Boat-LED-Light-Bulbs-Pure-Warm-White-/251621202168?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

3 minutes ago, KevinH said:

I replaced mine three years ago and purchased them on eBay I have had zero failures. As far as removing them. Most of them I was able to turn the glass and replace them. I hade four or five that I had to pry down with a putty knife and pull them out of the ceiling.They also work as a dimmer. I have three puck lights underneath the hall vanity that I forgot to replace I could never figure out why my middle air conditioner would run all the time during the day. Finally figured out that the three vanity lights we’re producing enough heat to kick on the air conditioner because the sensor for the air conditioner is underneath right by the vanity lights. Replaced them with LED never had that issue again. https://www.ebay.com/itm/YITAMOTOR-10-50X-G4-Base-Pin-Reading-Marine-Boat-LED-Light-Bulbs-Pure-Warm-White-/251621202168?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Thanks for the tip!

I replaced the halogen bulb only with an LED replacement bulb IN 2017. Kept the original receptacle. The retrofit Samsung LED's plug right in. Think I bought about 80. Dimmable and come in ww, cool w, natural.  I used warm white on the wood surfaces and natural light everywhere else (galley, heads, closets). Had no problems so far. M4products. com. Good service, located in Chatsworth, CA.

Edited by SigPIlot

26 minutes ago, SigPIlot said:

I replaced the halogen bulb only with an LED replacement bulb IN 2017. Kept the original receptacle. The retrofit Samsung LED's plug right in. Think I bought about 80. Dimmable and come in ww, cool w, natural.  I used warm white on the wood surfaces and natural light everywhere else (galley, heads, closets). Had no problems so far. M4products. com. Good service, located in Chatsworth, CA.

Thanks!

On 8/1/2021 at 7:13 AM, KevinH said:

Wow those are the ones I bought first and all failed. They all started flashing like strobe lights one by one after two months.

I just tried the ebay link shared above and that listing has been removed = "This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing."

I replaced all my high heat output halogen fixtures (both the puck lights and bullet lights) with these from Command Electronics a couple of years ago.https://www.amazon.com/Command-Electronics-Camper-Trailer-Utility/dp/B07X9C3L7T/
I've been very happy with the additional light I get from these and when they're too much, I can turn off one or two of them by pressing the switch button in the center.  10 fixtures for $37 and free delivery.  You can't hardly find the bulbs for that.51lYTpcogyL._AC_SL1333_.jpg

Edited by Moonwink

• 8 months later...

While on the subject of replacement light bulbs,  I am trying to find the 2 pin tiny light bulbs for my coach and keep being the incorrect size.  My coach is 2006  Camalot. Can your help me? 

Thanks

I got my G4’s from Cabin Bright.com. 
https://www.cabinbright.com/ Call Joe and he will take care of you. I have had failures and he replaced them with no hesitation.

On 4/10/2022 at 7:48 PM, JDStew said:

Hi Joanne - If you can put a picture of the fixture and bulb, it will help us ensure we're giving you accurate info. Best!

20220410_220258.thumb.jpg.e5e8e02ee38763b5176251cf7b348519.jpg20220411_195345.thumb.jpg.991c571278186477a1dd9568927cbf19.jpg

20220410_220258.jpg

On 7/31/2021 at 8:08 PM, Patrick said:

How does one replace these pot lights? I have one that is not working. Do you pull off or unscrew the cover ring?

Anybody know what the replacement bulb is?

Absolute Newbie here. CED36FC4-E665-48F6-BDDD-48296BB0F07C.thumb.jpeg.23f7b6ed3eeff72eb6191579339f3f87.jpeg

For replacing the bulb and not the fixture. I've tried several different LED's. The one I like best, is Kohree LED Replacement G4 at 2 watts Natural White, #HP459-US.  It is medium priced, but it lasts for years. It 4000 K in brightness, so can use about anywhere. I get them on Amazon. Just unplug old and plug in new.