Splendid vented washer disaster

IlliniCathy

First off.  I love my Splendide vented combo washer/dryer.  I call it my miracle machine.  But last night as we lay in bed,it awakenned me sounding funny.  Water was draining out the door and the water was to the top of the window as the dryer tried to tumble the clothes dry.  The washer would not pump out.  It apparently filled to wash, filled to rinse and was unable to pump any water out.  There was a puddle in front of washer as well as in the corner of the bedroom.    I stopped it and turned off water pump so no more water could be pumped in.  We tried to figure out what our next move would be.  Open the door and spill gallons of water, continue to let it dribble and sop it up with towels all night long?  I am sharing the solution to the dilemma so maybe it will help someone else.  We threaded our air hose down the drain and siphoned the wash water into the shower.  I have a brilliant Magiver Man!  He gets major kudos for quick thinking at midnight!  After this trip, we will have to figure out what failed and repair, but I was sure glad not to have to open that door!!!!

• Thanks 1

Well that is a great story and a creative emergency solution. I might have pushed the pipe into the vent outside because it’s bigger. I do this to blow lint and other debris out of the machine. Great trick you discovered, hope you let us know what the problem is. 
My wife loves our Splendid. 

• Thanks 1

Cathy,  Just curious, will it even allow you to open the door when it has water in it?  My wife's only complaint about our Splendide machine is the small load capacity and the length of time it take to completely wash and dry a load.  Of course I always have to remind her not to wait until we have a lot of laundry to do .... to no avail I might add. 😉   I bought a small hand pump (like a primer bulb used on outboard boat engines) for a smaller situation but I think it may be prudent to carry a longer section of tygon tubing to reach over to the shower.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I had a sort of similar experience with my old Splendide 2000.  I just bought this HR and the Splendide washer came with it.  The plywood platform it sits on was broken loose and finally got around to fixing that before I left on a trip last weekend.  Bored at the campground I used it for the first time.  It washed ok but wouldn't pump out. Left it full until I got home, I used a Jabsco pump I have to suck the water out by just holding to the drain hose, works well to get all of the water out and pumped to the shower, no mess at all.  I disassembled the pump and found a rubber band around the pump impeller.  Put it back together and all works fine now, so should be ready for our next trip.  I was surprised at how quiet the unit is, hopefully it will give me good service.  I don't think the previous owner used it much, maybe because of the issue I found and fixed?  

• Like 1

I had a similar experience with my Bosch washer.  The previous owner chose to have the washer/dryer connections converted to 240v so they could install Bosch units against the advice of Lazy Days in FL.  Of course, I purchased the coach under 1 yr and less than 4000 mi, and did not realize that you can only wash or dry with a 50 amp hook which is not an issue 90% of the time.  Well the cold water valve broke due to road vibration and water leaked in to 75% of the washer level.  Could not pump out as the generator only produces 120v and the Bosch washer uses 240v.  I do not know if Splendide has an emergency drain, but the Bosch does.  It is a little black 1/4" plastic flex tube in bottom front door.  I cold not figure what that was for previously.  Now I know.  I slowly drained into a waste bucket, and after many trips to the bathroom sink, done.   Thank goodness, as we did not have 50 amp service for days.   By the way, never put a Bosch into a Motorhome.  They are great appliances "for the home" not the road.

• Like 2

My 05 Splendide had a auto door lock that would keep the door locked until the total cycle was done. Somehow I bypassed the lock and can open the door anytime.

Sure would like to know what you did to disable the lock. That is my biggest annoyance, I have resigned myself to the time element but if you forget to add something as the washer is filling it gets frustrating!

Gary, Thanks anyway. I googled it and it said to access the switch by carefully removing the gasket and remove the switch and jump the brown/red wire with the black wire. I think will whine about it until it really becomes a problem. Now I have an idea when we decide to tackle it,  Sharon

Edited by eddie4ne
Typo

Our Splendide works great, however my wife only uses it for spinning her hand-washables then drying them a little. I find it more convenient to collect two weeks worth of laundry then go to a local CLEAN laundromat and do everything in less than two hours. I use the largest front-loading machines they have and then split it up into various dryers and temps depending on the clothes I am drying.

We have used the Spendide for doing a few clothes in an emergency but it's the exception not the norm. For everyday use we would have to wash 2-3 loads a day using the Splendide versus once every two weeks when using the laundromat.

I also discovered that if the water isn't pumping out like it should it is well past the time to clean out the filter.

We went 14 years as halftimers using just the 2100xc without using a launder-mat… OK, rugs got washed at home. Granted during the winter it’s mainly shorts and T-shirts, sheets and towels once/week and one load each. It will wash more than you might think. 
Current rig had Ariston stacked units and the washer last week die…inner drum loose inside the outer drum. DW wanted to replace with a 2100xc and remove the dryer so she could store more stuff. Replaced with a Samsung washer which is much quieter and has the high speed spin.

Edited by Ivylog

Guest Ray Davis
5 minutes ago, Ivylog said:

DW wanted to replace with a 2100xc and remove the dryer so she could store more stuff. Replaced with a Samsung washer which is much quieter and has the high speed spin

Does the Samsung have a drier?  Or did you decide to keep the old drier?  Or not have one?

5 hours ago, Ray Davis said:

Does the Samsung have a drier?  Or did you decide to keep the old drier?  Or not have one?

No, it’s a washer only and hopefully the dryer doesn’t go south on me. Most things on a dryer are fixable, even a loose inner drum…3 bolts in plain sight unlike the washer.

Our Discovery (SOB) has a stackable W/D and it is wonderful.  Towels, jeans - no problem.  Just like home.  Sheets, even most blankets wash and dry perfectly.

If I had an older coach I would give up storage for this.  It's that good, especially when you are living in it full time with no home to go to.

And, I hate doing laundry at the laundromat, always drama, kids running around or something.  I must be an old fart fuddy-duddy but that's my opinion.

I also had a situation with my Splendide that I should share. I experienced a similar an occurrence of the drum filling with water on its own. Unfortunately I was hooked to city water with relatively high pressure and I was out of town for several weeks so the overfill went undetected to the point were it leaked out of the washer onto and ruining the tile floor. It turned out to be an internally leaking (slow) cold fill valve that caused a very slow filling of the drum. Lessons learned--don't leave for extended time with water connected (or pump powered up) and install a drain pain that either has a drain hose connected and routed to drain point outside or to leave the pan open at the front where it might be more quickly detected should a leak occur. Sometimes it just hard knocks.

08 Navigator has a plastic pan under the washer with a drain hose out the bottom. The front lip is removable (can’t remove washer without removing it). The Samsung washer I installed made it difficult to get this lip reinstall… wouldn’t slide back as far. Had to seal it in place instead of screwing it back in place.

On my Spledide 2000 if the drain hose is lying on the floor it will self-drain. This is why they require an elevated stand pipe for the drain hose. 

In my case, it's not very hard to take the drain hose and re-route it to my shower drain if I needed to drain an over-filled washer.